XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-15-2016, 12:24 AM   #1
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage & others

Megan Exhausts?

I am not too familiar with exhaust systems and I am contemplating getting something for my X5M to make it sound better. I am not too concerned with the performance aspect as that's fairly minor anyway, but I want a deep nice sound.

What do you guys think of these exhausts, I see them going for fairly cheap on ebay. Anyone running these? Video clips?

Thanks

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/MEGAN-3-5-Qua...9WAc86&vxp=mtr
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 06:04 PM   #2
XX5Monster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5M

If you want a deep sound and not pay $4,000 + then you should buy a Fabspeed Supercup Exhaust. If you go to there website they have a few video clips you can listen to. I also looked at Megan and the quality is just ok but the sound isn't deep and the tips look cheap.
      06-16-2016, 06:05 PM   #3
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

I'm pretty sure if you search for "megan" you'll find pics and impressions of others that installed these. I bet youtube would even have vids too.
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2016, 06:10 PM   #4
XX5Monster
Private First Class
Rep

Fabspeed was running a special for the forum last month but if you contact them and tell them I referred you to them they will probably help you out.
      06-16-2016, 08:04 PM   #5
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the comments. Fab speed looks nice but still fairly pricey especially with the stupid Canadian exchange rates right now. I guess I'll think about it.

That being said; have many people done any x pipes, or muffler deletes or mods akin to that? Just for sheer sound gains and nothing to do with performance.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 12:06 PM   #6
XX5Monster
Private First Class
Rep

Well another option is modifying the stock exhaust. Here is the link for it.

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=973042
      06-17-2016, 12:35 PM   #7
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Thanks for posting that. I am going to call around my local shops to see if this is doable. I can't believe though out of all the people that said they did the mod there's one video that's barely a good one lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 10:25 AM   #8
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

Fabspeed is literally two $60 resonators welded to some 3in pipe. Any competent exhaust shop can rig that together for about $100, maybe $200. They rigged it with some nice stainless pipe and charge 10x's the actual cost.
      06-19-2016, 07:21 PM   #9
01blacks4
Rep
Drives: nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVazha View Post
Fabspeed is literally two $60 resonators welded to some 3in pipe. Any competent exhaust shop can rig that together for about $100, maybe $200. They rigged it with some nice stainless pipe and charge 10x's the actual cost.

come on now....those resonators are like $80-$100 each

I do like Fabspeed stuff, but you are correct, $300-$400 of metal, welded in a day, polished and shipped..... I will never judge someone for their ability to build a brand and charge for it though. this is the part you cant quantify. if I was willing to drop $$$$ on an exhaust, they would be the one
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 08:02 PM   #10
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Ya Fabspeed certainly looks awesome but definitely not worth what it is. I like modifying the stock exhaust thing but I am worried about voiding my warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 08:48 PM   #11
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

It's a free country baby, as long as there are rich guys and rich dads out there who pay for this stuff, they'll keep building. God bless em!

The new Eisenmann set up is the same!
Just a couple of shiny a$$ resonators mated to some nice shiny SS pipe. The sight of it will make you drool but it's important to know that you can rig the same thing up for just a couple hundred dollars. With that said, if you're pushing a brand new $100K x5m, I don't think you're worried about some $5K resonators..
Attached Images

06-20-2016, 05:11 AM   #12
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M, X5 50i Msport, EscaHoe

Or you could just do straight pipes so your neighbors hate you like mine
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 08:46 AM   #13
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattivo
Or you could just do straight pipes so your neighbors hate you like mine
Whoa what exactly have you done? Which part has been replaced by the straight pipes? Do you have any video clips so I can hear it? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 09:51 AM   #14
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa View Post
Whoa what exactly have you done? Which part has been replaced by the straight pipes? Do you have any video clips so I can hear it? Thanks.
I did a muffler delete, cut the OE exhaust from the mid pipes and replaced with an H pipe into straight pipes...sounds insane!

Attached Images

Last edited by Cattivo; 06-20-2016 at 10:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 10:02 AM   #15
XX5Monster
Private First Class
Rep

Some interesting statements about paying too much for things that don't cost much to make cause you can say that just about everything we as consumers buy right like downpipes for example and LOTS of other stuff. The reason why we pay what we do is most of use don't have the equipment,time or know how to make things like this and other stuff we buy. With the exception of Megan, Fabspeed cost less than any other aftermarket exhaust for the X5 M. As stated they do a great job with the fabrication quality and has some nice touches to it like polished pipes, embossed logo and very nice tips in Hyper Black Chrome or Chrome. The stock exhaust mod is ok but doesn't sound as good for one ,also cost about $400-$600, is very heavy compared to the Fabspeed and would still have to pay about $300-500 for nice exhaust tips so it still ends up being a $1,000 deal. As far as voiding your warranty goes they can't void it with modifying it or doing a aftermarket one so nothing to be worried about.
      06-20-2016, 10:15 AM   #16
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX5Monster View Post
Some interesting statements about paying too much for things that don't cost much to make cause you can say that just about everything we as consumers buy right like downpipes for example and LOTS of other stuff. The reason why we pay what we do is most of use don't have the equipment,time or know how to make things like this and other stuff we buy. With the exception of Megan, Fabspeed cost less than any other aftermarket exhaust for the X5 M. As stated they do a great job with the fabrication quality and has some nice touches to it like polished pipes, embossed logo and very nice tips in Hyper Black Chrome or Chrome. The stock exhaust mod is ok but doesn't sound as good for one ,also cost about $400-$600, is very heavy compared to the Fabspeed and would still have to pay about $300-500 for nice exhaust tips so it still ends up being a $1,000 deal. As far as voiding your warranty goes they can't void it with modifying it or doing a aftermarket one so nothing to be worried about.
My exhaust weighs 30lbs and costs 95% less than fabspeed
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 12:38 PM   #17
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattivo View Post
I did a muffler delete, cut the OE exhaust from the mid pipes and replaced with an H pipe into straight pipes...sounds insane!

That certainly sounds intense. How does it sound under full load etc? Any drone at highway speeds? Is it different in regular vs M mode? It might even be a tad bit loud for me. Do you have any pictures of stock underneath these vs yours so I can see what exactly happened and what other combinations may be possible? I am a bit of a noob when it comes to this stuff if you can't tell. lol
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 12:40 PM   #18
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX5Monster View Post
You have a point no doubt about it but there is definitely the whole BMW tax when it comes to these kinda vehicles where you're paying more than you should be just because you can.

That's good to know about warranty. I purchased extended warranty and wouldn't want to void that after modifying my stock exhaust if that's the route I end up going.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 05:25 AM   #19
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa View Post
That certainly sounds intense. How does it sound under full load etc? Any drone at highway speeds? Is it different in regular vs M mode? It might even be a tad bit loud for me. Do you have any pictures of stock underneath these vs yours so I can see what exactly happened and what other combinations may be possible? I am a bit of a noob when it comes to this stuff if you can't tell. lol
Straight pipes aren't for everybody, they're loud, obnoxious and drone like crazy... if you're looking to make your civil and quiet X5M sound like an animal then straight pipes is the way to go, especially if you have catless downpipes...the sound of those turbos spooling is pure sex!

75% of people on the street hear me coming before they see me and shake their heads covering their ears...the other 25%(gear heads, car enthusiasts, hot chicks) stare, wave and all say it sounds sick!
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2016, 09:10 AM   #20
gixxerboy63
Tanzanite Blue II X5M Pilot
Rep
Drives: M3, M4, X3 M40i, X5M

Garage List
2017 m4  [0.00]
2010 BMW X5M  [10.00]
Hey Cattivo, how does yours sound compared to the Akrapovic exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 09:57 AM   #21
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerboy63 View Post
Hey Cattivo, how does yours sound compared to the Akrapovic exhaust?
The Akrapovic exhaust sounds very similar to the OE exhaust(with the valves closed) maybe a little bit louder with a deeper rumble...my setup is insanely loud during cold start but quiets down after the initial cold start, if I keep it under 3k rpm it sounds similar to an NA V8 M3 exhaust... above that it screams and sounds like an SRT Hellcat or Viper
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 10:16 AM   #22
XX5Monster
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah Cattivo but it clearly doesn't sound or look as good of the Fabspeed either so I guess you get what you pay for. Your straight pipes might of been less than the Fabspeed exhaust itself but $1,400 alone for the Akra tips are wayyyy overrated and more than I spent on my entire Fabspeed system. As you said the straight pipes with catless downpipes are obnoxiously loud. With the Fabspeed Supercup it's a perfect setup cause the small resonators gives it a throaty sound, isn't as loud as straight pipe,has no drone, can hear the Turbos spool up still and when I'm just cruising it sound more like stock M mode but with better sound. In non M mode it's quieter and less aggressive and in M mode when you smash on the gas and downshift you get more of a race car sound with lots of whap and crackin. Carbon/ Titanium tips serve no purpose and are paying just for the name mainly. The Akrapovic full exhaust system is a different story and is really nice but still couldn't justify spending that kind of money.