XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-16-2016, 12:34 AM   #1
christianfayb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F85

My new 2011 BMW X5

Hello everyone. I just purchased a CPO X5. It has 66K miles on it and in excellent condition. I'm wondering what sorts of things I need to expect to take care of or fix. I've been around BMW most of my life, my father loves them. My last car was a 2008 Mazda 3 and I did 99% of the work on it myself, except replacing the ac compressor. I'd like to be hands on with the X5 as well. What sorts of things should I replace now before they break? I have already replaced the air filters, including the interior cabin air filter. I do need to fixe 4 ac vent clips (2 from the center dash and 2 from the ac vents for the backseat).
Specifically I have a 2011 X5 35i SAV.

Last edited by christianfayb; 01-16-2016 at 12:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 02:32 AM   #2
KayTees
Tuned ///M Cars Only
Canada
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C |'20 F97 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfax5 View Post
Hello everyone. I just purchased a CPO X5. It has 66K miles on it and in excellent condition. I'm wondering what sorts of things I need to expect to take care of or fix. I've been around BMW most of my life, my father loves them. My last car was a 2008 Mazda 3 and I did 99% of the work on it myself, except replacing the ac compressor. I'd like to be hands on with the X5 as well. What sorts of things should I replace now before they break? I have already replaced the air filters, including the interior cabin air filter. I do need to fixe 4 ac vent clips (2 from the center dash and 2 from the ac vents for the backseat).
Specifically I have a 2011 X5 35i SAV.
Gratz on the ownership! For me, 66000k Miles (100k+ KM) I wouldn't have gotten a X5 with more than 100k km on it. Well anything german really, thats when things usually start to go bad. I have a 2013 and so far I have no issues with it, no minor nor major. Considering its CPO, most of the major work should be done by dealer already.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 07:58 AM   #3
Poppyboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 3.5i w/ SA Package

Garage List
1976 Triumph TR6  [10.00]
1993 Bentley Turbo R  [10.00]
2011 X5  [10.00]
Congrats on the purchase. I, too, have a 2011 3.5i. Mine has 52k miles on it. It has been very reliable, with only oil service and filters having been done. I recently changed the spark plugs as a preventative measure. Other than that, keep an eye out for all typical BMW items, such as suspension wear.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 09:48 AM   #4
christianfayb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayTees View Post
Gratz on the ownership! For me, 66000k Miles (100k+ KM) I wouldn't have gotten a X5 with more than 100k km on it. Well anything german really, thats when things usually start to go bad. I have a 2013 and so far I have no issues with it, no minor nor major. Considering its CPO, most of the major work should be done by dealer already.

Thanks man. I looked for a long time for one with CPO and at a good price. almost a year on/off. So far, the car is fantastic. I checked the engine bay and removed a lot of built up leaves from crevices, etc. But as i look at the car i have to fight my urge to tinker because i know how sensitive these cars are.

My first project for appearance reasons really, is putting HID headlights and HID angel eyes. I want the white angel eyes vs the current yellow ones. The kit for both would be 300 total.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 09:54 AM   #5
christianfayb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyboy View Post
Congrats on the purchase. I, too, have a 2011 3.5i. Mine has 52k miles on it. It has been very reliable, with only oil service and filters having been done. I recently changed the spark plugs as a preventative measure. Other than that, keep an eye out for all typical BMW items, such as suspension wear.

Oh 52k miles? must be nice. So far the car runs like a dream. Previous owners really babied this car. I think ill change spark plugs after the CPO runs out next November, i don't want to void it. The rotors and pads were changed last October so those are good for a while.
If there is one thing i learned with the Mazda is that preventative maintenance goes a LOOOONG way. Interestingly enough, as i was researching this car i found a list on Forbes that had the X5 as one of the worst used cars to buy.
I know there are things to replace on this car before they go bad and cause other problems, but im not sure what or where to start. Suspension wear you say? ill check that out.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 10:33 AM   #6
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Welcome to the forum, and to the X5 club!

I can't imagine it needs too much since it's certified. And it must be in great shape for BMW to have certified a vehicle with 66K miles on it.

Your headlights are already HID/xenon, but being an '11 yes you've got the factory halogen coronas. There are lots of threads on that - I would personally just get some inexpensive white halogen bulbs and call it good, vs. spending hundreds on HID bulbs that really look no better than a halogen replacement.

Here's 1 thread here - http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=952763

Keep in mind most people post pics looking straight on - those typically look okay (though often in inner coronas is significantly brighter than the outer). Step off center and it's not going to look as good.

Got any pics to post?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 12:30 PM   #7
Poppyboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 3.5i w/ SA Package

Garage List
1976 Triumph TR6  [10.00]
1993 Bentley Turbo R  [10.00]
2011 X5  [10.00]
I went into my X5 from a Touareg, which was also given horrible reviews. It was a wonderful car to own with no problems whatsoever.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 10:25 PM   #8
christianfayb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
Welcome to the forum, and to the X5 club!

I can't imagine it needs too much since it's certified. And it must be in great shape for BMW to have certified a vehicle with 66K miles on it.

Your headlights are already HID/xenon, but being an '11 yes you've got the factory halogen coronas. There are lots of threads on that - I would personally just get some inexpensive white halogen bulbs and call it good, vs. spending hundreds on HID bulbs that really look no better than a halogen replacement.

Here's 1 thread here - http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=952763

Keep in mind most people post pics looking straight on - those typically look okay (though often in inner coronas is significantly brighter than the outer). Step off center and it's not going to look as good.

Got any pics to post?
I don't have a lot of pictures at the moment aside from these. I actually just took the car to GA and ill be taking to pictures tomorrow as i drive up a mountain!

I see what you mean about getting some halogen bulbs for the angel eyes. The HID kit for those is 180 and the HID kit for the headlights are 180 as well. That's alot of money too spend. im going to do a search for the bulb types for both and get some halogen bulbs. I know the factory bulbs are bi-zenons
I upgraded my Mazda's headlights with HID and i loved it.
here are a few pictures

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxD...ew?usp=sharing

Appreciate 0