XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

12-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
jvilla52
Rep
Drives: 2008 IB/Sl/CF M3

Need detailed picture of hitch install from below the bumper

I posted this on another thread but decided I might get a better response with a new thread.

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on either an X6 50i or a Cayenne GTS and need to make a decision by Monday. I think the two are very comparable except for one thing. The Cayenne I'm looking at has a factory hitch on it, no problems there. The X6 on the other hand has that big cover under the bumper right where the hitch would need to come out from under the car. I've seen the photos on this site of hitches on the X6 & X6M's and some show a removable plate for that purpose but when I look at the pictures on BMW's website it shows a solid piece there. Does anyone have a clear picture taken from below the bumper of their hitch installation on a late model X6, non M?

I presently have an X5 with an Execuhitch, http://execuhitch.com/tow-hitches/ on it and really love how it's hidden but the guys at Execuhitch showed me a picture of how the unit would look with the X6 and they had to cut a really ugly non symmetrical whole in the pan, not pretty at all.

I can go with either vehicle but I prefer the X6 if I can make this hitch thing work out to my satisfaction. TIA
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 03:19 AM   #2
snipez999
Private
Rep
Drives: X6M50d

I have a 1 month old X6 M50d with factory fitted detachable towbar. Yes it is a nice neat cutout on the bumper cover, removed by turning 2 captive screws. I will get out there for some pics once I have had breakfast and it stops raining long enough!!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
snipez999
Private
Rep
Drives: X6M50d

Sorry it's been raining all day here!

These are pics of the rear bumper inserts when I had them off to CF wrap them last week though........

However it appears you have a different take on the word 'hitch' to us European guys who can spec a detachable swan neck 'towbar' PLUS increased towing capacity on our X6s. As I understand it, the hitch you are talking about is something which fits onto the chassis and is not a totally removable item like ours??

This is really weird as my car was built in the US, but obviously to UK spec!!

One other observation; the BMW Performance rear diffuser (part of the Performance bodykit) does not have this removable towbar section and just has a big cutout where it should go. Therefore there can be no harm to the towing electrics etc even if you have a slightly larger aperture cut to accommodate a hitch.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 07:27 PM   #4
jvilla52
Rep
Drives: 2008 IB/Sl/CF M3

Thanks for the pics Snipez999, the U.S. model has a solid piece without the removable cutout.

I ordered my X6 anyway today after talking to the parts counter. The "hitch" as we call it in the states is basically a piece of square tubing that is bolted laterally between two longitudinal cross members and then a removable drawbar with a ball is slipped into this. Since there is no cover plate to remove an opening must be cut out and then trimmed out. The drawbar or receiver as we call it will be exposed all the time and is not able to be hidden under bodywork.

When I picked up my X5 30d a few years ago at the factory in Spartensburg South Carolina, I saw many different variations of the X5 and X6 models being built for delivery to different countries. When I saw an X6 40d going down the line I asked my guide about when we would see that model in this country and she said basically don't hold my breath waiting Too bad for us.

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0