XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-26-2015, 11:22 AM   #67
SteveMD
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 535i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmaj View Post
The N55 and it's slight variants are in A LOT of BMW cars. It's pretty much BMW's standard v6 across the board and has been in production since 2009. I would think if there was significant problems with the engine we would have heard about it by now, especially given all the bad press that came with the N54.
Straight 6 </nitpick>
2016 F10 535i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 01:08 PM   #68
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
The N52 is a pretty solid motor, if you are looking at a pre-2011. The N54 is basically an n54/n55 without the turbo charger(s). I think in 2011, they switched to an N55. 2011 and beyond are turbo charged and do get slightly better gas milage. The biggest thing about a BMW is staying up on the maintenance. If you think you are going to drive it and not have to do this and that, BMW is not for you. BMW's require the brake fluid to be changed out every 2 years for example; its a good/great idea to change out the power steering fluid every 50k. If you drive 20+ k a year, you probably should do a complete fluid swap every 50k to be honest.

Things I have noticed on a BMW that do wear out.....

1) Oil Filter Housing gasket (75 to 100k)
2) Megatronic Sleeve (75-100k)
3) Valve cover gasket (75-100k)
4) Water pump (75-100k)
5) Belts and pulleys (75-100k)

Most of the things above, you can change yourself with a decent set of tools and research via DIY's.

BMW's are awesome on brakes, but the OEM brake dust sucks. Hence, most people use a ceramic brake pad once their OEM pads and rotors go.

The other thing about a BMW is that I am not convinced you can go 100k on is a set of plugs. I would change them every 50k. The N54 motor requires 45k intervals for example. You should be able to get 100k out of a set of coils no problem; after that your on borrowed time with a set of OEM coils.

One last thing about a BMW is that you need to clean out the vanos solenoids once a year; you simply take them out and clean them with brake fluid and compressed air. When these get gummed up, they become useless, and they are very expensive to replace to the tune of $200.00.

Oil changes and what brand seems to be a bone of contention. Lots of guys swear by 5-7k intervals even though BMW says you can use 17k intervals. Myself, I use 16K intervals and change out the filter every 8k. I also use an engine flush and magnetic drain bolt. I also use Amsoil throughout the entire car in every fluid.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 01:38 AM   #69
bmwarg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i, 2012 E70 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmaj View Post
I wouldn't be too concerned about the leak....random leaks can happen at any time.

There are many many many threads out there on tires. However, unless something has recently changed, to CPO the car they have to put OE tires on it, which means Bridgestones or Dunlops. You'll probably have to get Bridgestones unless you can swing something with the dealer where you get the car and then immediately sell them back the Duelers in exchange for something else, or they just agree to wink wink nudge nudge and CPO it with the tire of your choice.

There aren't too many tire options out there for these wheels. I would avoid the Toyo Proxes 4 Plus, I had them on my M5 very briefly and they were horrible. Once my Duelers go I'll be switching to DWS' and getting a compact spare. PSS' are always a popular option as well.
Quick read seems to suggest Dunlop are more expensive and better for grip but less good for wear (last about 10k miles less).

I read that M sport suspension + 20" wheels + RFT = a very harsh ride. Should I be concerned that the previous owner did not change the tires in 38k miles? I remember RFT tires got harsher with time. Would driving with bald tires cause the suspension to be negatively affected?

Also, if I find that the ride is a bit harsh when test driving do you think I can mitigate this by getting non-RFT tires?

Also, does anyone know if the VIN decoder tells you whether the car comes with a spare?

Last edited by bmwarg; 01-27-2015 at 04:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 01:41 AM   #70
bmwarg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Anyone have tips on what specific things to look for when inspecting the X5 before purchasing?

I got a got a good tip to make sure that the windshield has the BMW roundel logo since other windshields don't work as well with HUD. Any other helpful tips?

The car is a loaded 50i M-sport with 20" wheels. Any way to check that the wheels are not bent?
      01-27-2015, 08:23 AM   #71
goodmaj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63S Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwarg View Post
Quick read seems to suggest Dunlop are more expensive and better for grip but less good for wear (last about 10k miles less).

I read that M sport suspension + 20" wheels + RFT = a very harsh ride. Should I be concerned that the previous owner did not change the tires in 38k miles? I remember RFT tires got harsher with time. Would driving with bald tires cause the suspension to be negatively affected?

Also, if I find that the ride is a bit harsh when test driving do you think I can mitigate this by getting non-RFT tires?

Also, does anyone know if the VIN decoder tells you whether the car comes with a spare?
Yes, the spare was an option and will show up on a VIN decode.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 03:13 PM   #72
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Anyone have tips on what specific things to look for when inspecting the X5 before purchasing?

I got a got a good tip to make sure that the windshield has the BMW roundel logo since other windshields don't work as well with HUD. Any other helpful tips?

The car is a loaded 50i M-sport with 20" wheels. Any way to check that the wheels are not bent?
you probably covered it all, the in depth PPI inspection would require you putting up money for it to be done.

Since we last chatted, this car was sold as a CPO by a BMW dealer, correct? If so, you can rely on service records that the car had it's standard inspection done per maintenance plan terms the dealer had to abide by. That, and when the dealer CPO it, they have to perform a PPI inspection and fix all items that are broken and perform maintenance for outstanding maintenance items. That's basically your PPI right there, and that's one reason why CPO adds $3k to the price of the car. (in addition to getting a powertrain warranty in itself)

Last edited by Flying Ace; 01-28-2015 at 03:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 03:20 PM   #73
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I found a car that I really like! About to purchase if everything checks out during CPO checklist.

A few quick questions:

1. One of the previous past services done on this car is "leak at gearbox input (converter bell housing), automatic transmission leaking." How serious is this? The car is still under warranty, but don't want to be at the dealership fixing the car all the time.

2. For M sport package and 20" M Wheels Style 333, is there a recommended tire choice? I ask because as part of the CPO certification they have to replace all 4 tires. I recall that for the 335i they had a few run flat tire options (Michelin being a little nicer than Bridgestone). I wouldn't want the tire selection to negatively affect the comfort of the ride.
I would go with the Duelers unless you plan on driving the X5 to Tahoe this winter...if that's the case, I would opt for the dealer to install an all-season tire. They're covering the cost of this tire replacement prior to CPO, correct?

mine came with Duelers when I picked my CPO up. I have no choice to use Duelers however, b/c I was also transferred the existing wheel and tire insurance, so I'm incentivized to continue using my current tires.

My next set would be DWS or Proxes ST IIs
      01-28-2015, 05:21 PM   #74
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
I read that M sport suspension + 20" wheels + RFT = a very harsh ride.

1 - 'Very Harsh' - no, I wouldn't even say it's 'Harsh' though obviously each of us will have a different opinion on it. I have an M Sport + 20's + run-flats (will get non run-flats once these wear out) and I think the ride is just fine. Actually better than I imagined before driving it. It's a BMW, it's supposed to be sporty. You wanna ride on a pillow, buy a Lexus

2 - yes, non run-flats will help reduce road noise and improve the ride a bit.

3 - yes, the decoder will indicate if the car has the spare tire as it was a $150 option. Strangely you don't find that many X5's with the spare tire. This option was N/A on 3rd row equipped vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 03:18 AM   #75
bmwarg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just catching up on the last few responses. Bought the a CPO 2012 BMW X5 50i. Had to drive 200+ miles to go get it but it was worth it. Car was in excellent condition and ran excellent. Very smooth. There was a disgruntled sales manager because for the price the car should not have been CPO, but they honored the price with CPO given my conversations with the salesmen before driving down to the dealership. Nothing major in the CPO except for the tire replacement, the rest was very minor things that I double checked on the car.

Learned a few things as you all pointed out: 1) spare tire is not possible with 3rd row seat, 2) with CPO you have to go with OEM tires so I got new Duelers, 3) ride is not harsh at all but probably noise and getting the tires up to temperature would be better with all season non-RFT tires.

I do like the idea of non-RFT tires because the wear is better and the noise would be less especially after putting 10k miles on the tires. I also think that the all season tires would get up to temperature faster and allow me to go to Tahoe 1 or 2 weekends a year. Do you think all season tires on 20" wheels could get me through a weekend in snowy mountains?

If I go with non-RFT tires I need to figure out how to sell the RFT tires. Better to do it now while the RFT tires still have the brand new marks.
      01-29-2015, 10:38 AM   #76
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Just catching up on the last few responses. Bought the a CPO 2012 BMW X5 50i. Had to drive 200+ miles to go get it but it was worth it. Car was in excellent condition and ran excellent. Very smooth. There was a disgruntled sales manager because for the price the car should not have been CPO, but they honored the price with CPO given my conversations with the salesmen before driving down to the dealership. Nothing major in the CPO except for the tire replacement, the rest was very minor things that I double checked on the car.

Learned a few things as you all pointed out: 1) spare tire is not possible with 3rd row seat, 2) with CPO you have to go with OEM tires so I got new Duelers, 3) ride is not harsh at all but probably noise and getting the tires up to temperature would be better with all season non-RFT tires.

I do like the idea of non-RFT tires because the wear is better and the noise would be less especially after putting 10k miles on the tires. I also think that the all season tires would get up to temperature faster and allow me to go to Tahoe 1 or 2 weekends a year. Do you think all season tires on 20" wheels could get me through a weekend in snowy mountains?

If I go with non-RFT tires I need to figure out how to sell the RFT tires. Better to do it now while the RFT tires still have the brand new marks.
Congratulations on finding/purchasing an X5. I hope you'll post some pics in the photo/video sub-forum when you get a chance.

Mine came CPO with new Duelers too. They're fine, not what I'd buy but they were new which means I don't have to buy tires for awhile. With that said don't expect any tire to last much more than 15K miles (20K if you're lucky) if you're running the 20's. So if you keep them, you'll be getting a new set sooner than later anyway if you drive average miles.

You might be able to sell the tires here in the 'for sale' forums. They're not a real popular tire amongst the 'enthusiasts' on the forums but you never know.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 11:27 AM   #77
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

Congrats, post some pics of the new ride!

I would just go with all-seasons for Tahoe trips. No need to have a dedicated winter and summer set especially since you only go twice a year.

My plan is also to use all-seasons after my Duelers are done. I doubt I'll go to Tahoe this year or even next, but I wanted an all-rounder and a non runflat
Appreciate 0