XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-01-2017, 03:40 AM   #1
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

Why you should buy an X5M

Because this car is insane.

The car on its own is great, but coupled with a tune and a good exhaust system it becomes a mad man. I daydream sometimes about an ML63, and that sure is a fine car. However, there's something about the X5M that just kicks ass. Maybe it's the super heavy steering, maybe it's how absolutely planted it is. Or maybe it's that in M and Sport mode it really, almost literally, drives like a P car. Except it's big and has road presence.

I've done some BS red light blasts in my previous AMG's, some I won, and some I lost. I'm talking against of your run of the mill stuff - M5's, E63's, E55's, Porsche various 911's, anything and almost everything American, etc..! However, in the X5M I have not found another car that can win decisively. The launch in this car is unreal. You're basically peaking in 2'nd while the guy next to you is still in the middle of his shift. Happens every time. By then it's already too late.

Anyhow, that's just my thoughts.
      01-01-2017, 07:22 AM   #2
Dr.Duct_Mossburg
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Space Gray · E70 X5M

I can sum it up for myself...

This truck is a total POS... Every little thing will break to the point something big would have been better off breaking... and probably less expensive. It's dated. HOWEVER... It will haul the kids, It will haul the groceries, it will run light to light with most things on the road, it handles better than many performance cars, where it lacks in interior refinement it makes up for in its performance refinement. Its a driver's SUV.
      01-01-2017, 09:10 AM   #3
windsailor
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M Black Saphire

I always thought that buying a sports car doesn't mean you get all the 'refinement' of a luxury vehicle but, in this case you get a good package that will bring a grin every time you look at its lines or push it on a twisting road.
Yes, hard to believe it's not a Toyota made to last, but life is short to drive a boring car and having heard of sports car unbreakable!
I can complaint about Bluetooth, valves, shafts and else, not yet coming from my pocket tho, yet never been more satisfied with value for money.
Drive it through all seasons and will understand what U in SUV stands for...
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 12:30 PM   #4
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Duct_Mossburg View Post
I can sum it up for myself...

This truck is a total POS... Every little thing will break to the point something big would have been better off breaking... and probably less expensive. It's dated. HOWEVER... It will haul the kids, It will haul the groceries, it will run light to light with most things on the road, it handles better than many performance cars, where it lacks in interior refinement it makes up for in its performance refinement. Its a driver's SUV.
I agree with you but I disagree on quality aspect. I think because it is a bit "dated", it's less stuff to break. It's not as refined as the new x5's and I believe retains some of that classic M charm. The new ones are all fancy and gadgety and that will break over time. This is more of a true drivers suv, almost stripped to the bones with all the tech "hidden" somewhere in there.

Of course, you can get a warranty and drive her in confidence.

Also read a car and driver article and twice they have the E70 X5M as their number one pick amongst the hot rod SUV's!