XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

08-07-2010, 11:53 AM   #1
TTBear
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 Huracán/'19 M2Comp/'23 X4M

Locked out of the X6M!?!

Strange. I was at the car wash last night, removing the tons of bugs from a recent road trip. As I was washing the car, the car kept locking/unlocking, as it always does with the water from washing the car, before I pull the keys out of my pocket, and throw them into the car (Comfort Access).
On this occasion, however, I threw the keys onto the driver's seat, and when I closed the door, the car locked! I thought I was screwed, but then after a couple minutes, the car automatically unlocked, so I thought I was fine. A couple minutes after that, it locked again, and STAYED locked!

I was under the impression that the car would not lock, with the key still in the car.

Fortunately, the car wash is literally two blocks from the house, so my wife came with the spare key. I could have called BMW Assist, but the house is so close, and also, I wasn't sure if Assist would work when the car was inside the building.

Anyone else experience anything like this?

Very strange, and the SECOND time it has locked when a key was inside the car.
      08-07-2010, 04:45 PM   #2
flz9636
Private
Rep
Drives: X6 5.0

I don't know about the M but I don't think that is normal. Yes, the water cause the door to lock and unlock all the time, so when I clean the car I always keep the key 10 feet away.

Never got locked out with the key in the car. I think the comfort access kept the door from locking with the key inside. Even if it lock up, you can open up by touching handle.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 05:23 AM   #3
GJM
Xdrive
Australia
Rep
Drives: X6 35d/X5 3d

TT,
Ours won't lock with the Key in the car, I'd contact your dealer.
      08-09-2010, 07:39 AM   #4
audioquest
2nd to None!
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M8 GC, M5 30Jahre, X6 50i

Garage List
My battery went completely dead when I am washing my car, just yesterday. It keep lock and unlock during washing because of the water. May be my car was not driven for a week.

The road side assistance told me in future place the key away when washing or place it in the ignition. Because according to him every time it unlock it draw about 20amp from the battery. Lesson learn.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 07:53 AM   #5
launchcontrol
Banned
Rep
Drives: AlpinewhiteM3DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJM View Post
TT,
Ours won't lock with the Key in the car, I'd contact your dealer.
that is correct....take it to the dealer and ask for a X5M as a loaner
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 11:15 AM   #6
Joeko23
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6 35i

This is so weird. Why would the car lock/unlock when getting washed? It seems like this is something that should not happen. I have had many cars with keyless entry/comfort access and this never happened. Does this happen on all X6's or only on the X6M? Is this a normal thing that happens to all BMW's?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 11:24 AM   #7
launchcontrol
Banned
Rep
Drives: AlpinewhiteM3DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeko23 View Post
This is so weird. Why would the car lock/unlock when getting washed? It seems like this is something that should not happen. I have had many cars with keyless entry/comfort access and this never happened. Does this happen on all X6's or only on the X6M? Is this a normal thing that happens to all BMW's?
I dont have CA on my X6 but this is not X6 specific as it happens on my E92 M3....its because of the stripes that are on the handle outside the car that causes this lock/unlock activity, at least that is what I tell myself using my own logic when it happens... or may be my logic is just flawed...
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 11:42 AM   #8
kgclark
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 X6 35i VR/Oyster

Quote:
Originally Posted by launchcontrol View Post
I dont have CA on my X6 but this is not X6 specific as it happens on my E92 M3....its because of the stripes that are on the handle outside the car that causes this lock/unlock activity, at least that is what I tell myself using my own logic when it happens... or may be my logic is just flawed...
So, conceivably, the same thing could happen in a hard rain? Seems like a huge design flaw to me. I've also had a few cars with Keyless Access/Start systems and never experienced anything like that.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 01:42 PM   #9
Joeko23
Private
Rep

It's strange how BMW is so far ahead with technology, yet at the same time they don't have simple kinks ironed out.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 04:16 PM   #10
GJM
Xdrive
Australia
Rep
Drives: X6 35d/X5 3d

Only locks & unlocks if you have the FOB in your pocket & you're standing next to the car,
      08-10-2010, 10:15 AM   #11
TTBear
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 Huracán/'19 M2Comp/'23 X4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeko23 View Post
It does happen with BMWs - it occurs on our X6M, as well as my M3. It is because of the touch-sensitive strips on the door handles - they are likely electrostatic or something similar, so when the water hits them, they activate. It will only work if the key is on the exterior of the vehicle, in the vicinity of the handle (for example, you can't be standing on the driver's side, with the passenger unlocking his door first). This is also why they won't activate in rain when you're driving - the car can sense that the key is INSIDE the car, I believe.
I have also seen it happening with Toyotas equipped with keyless entry. My parents Lexuses (Lexi??) do not do this, because the unlock mechanism is a push button on the handle.

Thanks for the all the replies - I think I'll have to get our dealer to check into it.

Cheers!
      08-10-2010, 12:33 PM   #12
Joeko23
Private
Rep

OK, note to self, have wife wash the new X6 in bathing suit, while I stand at least 10 feet away (with key) as to not activate door open/close. Got it!
Appreciate 1