XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

07-11-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

What does my TPMS warning actually mean?

How can you tell the difference between a TPMS warning that you get because your tire is low and one that you get because your tire is actually flat?

I've gotten a TPMS warning twice: front passenger side on my X5 about 6 months or so ago and rear driver side on my X6 this weekend. Both happened in my parent's driveway. They didn't appear 'flat', so I just topped 'em off and went on my way. No further problems.

I've never seen a RFT that's 'flat'; will I be able to tell that the tire in question is 'flat' and that more is required than just more air?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 09:39 AM   #2
aas5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbja View Post
How can you tell the difference between a TPMS warning that you get because your tire is low and one that you get because your tire is actually flat?

I've gotten a TPMS warning twice: front passenger side on my X5 about 6 months or so ago and rear driver side on my X6 this weekend. Both happened in my parent's driveway. They didn't appear 'flat', so I just topped 'em off and went on my way. No further problems.

I've never seen a RFT that's 'flat'; will I be able to tell that the tire in question is 'flat' and that more is required than just more air?
As far as I can tell, no, there is no way to tell. I had a low tire pressure warning come up a couple of weeks ago for my front left tire and tried to pump air which didn't help. I went to the dealer and was told I caught a big nail and had to replace the tire. I am glad I got the tire warranty for that. Let me know if you figurte out a way to know if you have a flat or not.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 11:09 AM   #3
lndblr
Rep
Drives: X6

Thumbs up Tire Repair

I had a warning a few weeks ago. Stopped car and found tire was low. Drove to station and put in air to spec. One hour later it was low again as per the warning. Took it to BMW dealer who pulled out a piece of metal, plugged tire and refilled it. No charge.
I was told that tire will never look completely flat unless a piece is torn out. Run flat tire was great as I was able to drive to a dealer and not be stuck on the street.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 09:04 PM   #4
itsme123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 MCB F10 M5

There is no way to tell if a RFT is flat or not. Just carry a tire pressure gauge in the car to check. A small price to pay for having RFT and not being stuck on the road. I remember the manual saying that the TPM will come on after there is a descrepency of a certain number of PSIs. Can't remember what it is but you can look it up. Side rant: Don't know why BMW can't have a real time tire pressure monitor which shows actual PSIs in the tire like Mercdedes can
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 07:32 AM   #5
TheJackal
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 335xi

The warning will be yellow for a low tire. For a completeley flat tire the warning will go red.
      07-13-2011, 02:17 PM   #6
lndblr
Rep
Drives: X6

Mecedes system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme123 View Post
Side rant: Don't know why BMW can't have a real time tire pressure monitor which shows actual PSIs in the tire like Mercdedes can
I had a Mercedes with the PSI reading tire monitor. It was a real pain in the butt. Every time the temperature would drop down the monitor would say the tires were low. I was always setting it and resetting it. Who needs to know the precise pressure anyway? Just let me know when there is a real problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 10:52 PM   #7
itsme123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJackal View Post
The warning will be yellow for a low tire. For a completeley flat tire the warning will go red.
Mine is MY 2010 and it does not go red. It only goes yellow. Is this an updated feature on the MY 2011 and newer?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 11:02 PM   #8
itsme123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lndblr View Post
I had a Mercedes with the PSI reading tire monitor. It was a real pain in the butt. Every time the temperature would drop down the monitor would say the tires were low. I was always setting it and resetting it. Who needs to know the precise pressure anyway? Just let me know when there is a real problem.
If the pressure is borderline of the warning limit then a change in temp will trigger the warning. Filling it to the higher end of the range should solve that. I am one of a few that obsesses over tire pressure. I know, it a sickness I swear I can feel when a tire is off by a few PSIs and feel the need to know. It'll be much more convinient to know in cabin rather then a tire pressure gauge outside. And its fun to see the preesures change live when you push the car on the track.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 11:36 PM   #9
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep

Well -- I'm getting a TPMS warning every 24 hours or so. When I check it, its down to 15lbs. I took it in this morning (yes, too lazy to take it in, but not too lazy to keep filling it up with air), and they found that there is a screw in the sidewall so it can't be repaired.

Both Discount Tire and my dealer don't have the tire in stock, so I guess I'll be filling the tire with air for a few more days. The good things are 1) Since I'm in my routine, I'm only driving about 5 miles per day, 2) there's an Exxon station on my way home from work that I can get free air, and 3) I'm getting 24 hours out of a fill-up, so, although a pain, not THAT much of one. And I guess I don't have to worry about ruining the tire anymore...
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 09:12 AM   #10
aas5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lndblr View Post
It's a cheap option and is helpful so I wouldn't mind having it. Why not have it if it's available on most other cars? Saves the trip to the gas station to figure out if it's really flat or just lacks some air.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 12:28 AM   #11
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbja View Post
Both Discount Tire and my dealer don't have the tire in stock, so I guess I'll be filling the tire with air for a few more days.
This is something that I didn't know they'd do, but I found was very customer oriented in DTs part: they didn't have my tire in stock anywhere, and the manufacturer was backordered (a Conti 4x4, not the much sought after DWS). They ordered the tire from Tire Rack and had it overnighted so that they could install it for me the next day. They honored the original price that they had quoted me (which was less than TR shows on their site), and didn't charge me for shipping.

Although not happy about my unexpected $400 tire outing, I was certainly happy about their efforts to get me on the road again. Go DT!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 03:12 AM   #12
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme123 View Post
Mine is MY 2010 and it does not go red. It only goes yellow. Is this an updated feature on the MY 2011 and newer?
this will show in the idrive not on the instrument panel. the location that shows all the tires and their color is green when normal yellow when low and red when flat. when they are low 5psi turns yellow.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 04:25 AM   #13
itsme123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ok, I got my lazy butt off the couch and looked it up in the manual. It shows that for my year vehicle that the "Yellow" tire is an indicator for both low and flat tire. It will not go "Red". This in the iDrive screen. Oh well......
Appreciate 0