XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-25-2010, 11:55 AM   #1
tilago
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 4,8i

Unhappy X5 4,8i "engine malfunction,reduced power...."

hi there,

my 08 X5 4,8i is showing the following message on the idrive display: "engine fault. reduced power. able to proceed but with caution,......."
it also lights a warning sign on the dashboard.
the tech an BMW here said that it is a problem with the VANOS system, that the software of one of the Valvetronic comands is no ok.
but this has been noticed two weeks ago and until now waiting for them to call me with the correct software and.......
i have read some threads about similar problems but mostly with the trubo engines on the 3 series and due to problems with the High Pressure pumps.
can anyone help with some sort of input?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 02:26 PM   #2
paqs
Rep
Drives: X5 M

I am not sure that I can help but my X5 M has been to the dealer today with a very similar problem, it only has 700 miles on it and 2 days ago I got the engine fault reduced power warning, the message cleared on the next restart.

The dealer said the car had stored a load of errors related to the left bank vanos indicating cam timing errors, he said these can't have been *reel* errors as the engine would have shut down completely.

They reset the codes and ran some diagnostic sequence on the engine which reported all was ok, no faults found and sent me on my way.

Within 2 hours I had the warning back and was back in reduced power mode until I restarted the engine again. The dealer thinks the car is suffering from software issues and is going to talk to Germany tomorrow.

Does your error clear after switching off and on again?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 03:01 AM   #3
tilago
Registered
Rep

Yes but not always.
if the engine has run for a few miles and is at good temperature the most of the times it does switch of if i restart de car.
the funny thing is that the car generally drives well even with the warning on.
the reply about the faulty software is the same as mine but still waiting for reply from dealer for two weeks.

thanks for replying
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 02:32 PM   #4
tilago
Registered
Rep

Paqs,

Any news from your car?
Still waiting for a call from my BMW dealer.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 04:28 PM   #5
paqs
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilago View Post
Paqs,

Any news from your car?
Still waiting for a call from my BMW dealer.
Well there is news but nothing good, the car has been in the dealer for the last 3 days and BMW Germany have been analysing data. It was decided there was a fault with a vanos sensor, I don't know the full details but they were going to change it.

Then today I was told that parts within the vanos system are pre-lubed with some different oil and this needed purging from the system, Germany apparently told them do this rather than change the sensor. They told me this had cured the problem, they had road tested the car and all was perfect.

I drove the car 200 yards from the dealer and the screen said engine fault, reduced power and it went into limp home, I drove it straight back in and showed them, they looked a bit sheepish and said they will have to change the sensor, which they had apparently ordered but were told not to fit

I told them I was taking the car home anyway and asked if they could fit the part tomorrow (Saturday), they said maybe and will be phoning in the morning.

So I am no further forward with this, one thing I have noticed is that the warning seems to appear when car is driven and the engine partially warmed, ie if you drive the car and then park up for 30 mins to 1 hour and drive off the warning seems to appear, when driven from cold or the car is stopped when hot and restarted the warning does not appear.

Quite frankly I am disgusted, a 3 week old car costing £82500, (US $124000), its been off the road for 3 days this week and I have been in a shitty 1 series and it still has the same fault.

JOY IS NOT WASTING YOUR MONEY ON AN X5 M !
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 06:22 AM   #6
tilago
Registered
Rep

i was at BMW this morning and after making a software update to the VANOS controlers the warning is still popping up.
they now say that they will remove the faulty unit and before reinstaling it they will format it completely and reinstall all software again.
if that does not sort it out they will have to change the unit.

the strange thing is that most of people that experience such warning, the car goes into limp modebut mine drices fine with the warning on.
hence my personnal belief that it is only a software glitch and not a faulty unit.

regards,
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 07:54 AM   #7
paqs
Rep

Just thought I would give you an update on my faulty X5 M.

It has been in the dealer all week and still is, they changed a vanos valve, vanos sensor and camshaft sensor, ran diagnostics, road tested it and gave it back to me as fixed, the warning was back within 1 hour!

After much head scratching they have now decided the problem is the near side bank inlet camshaft vanos is not working fast enough.

Don't think they have any idea what is causing it or how to fix it, I have now owned the car 4 weeks and it has had the fault for the last 2 weeks, my patience is running out rapidly
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 09:48 AM   #8
rainman50
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2000 540iA

And here I'm thinking of buying the X5M 2011. Do you know if many have this problem? You two are the only ones going back and forth here.

I guess I'll have to hold off until I see the outcome of this.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 02:00 PM   #9
paqs
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainman50 View Post
And here I'm thinking of buying the X5M 2011. Do you know if many have this problem? You two are the only ones going back and forth here.

I guess I'll have to hold off until I see the outcome of this.

Dave
The original thread starter was for his 4.8i not the X5 M like me but we had similar engine faults, there are other people in other forums that have had similar experiences to me with the M and have had to get BMW to change or buy back the car.

When its running it is a great car, but its not running its stuck in the dealer which makes it an awful car from my current position.

Another thing you might want to consider before purchasing an M (or M Sport) is the stone chipping problem around the rear quarter, you need to get clear bra or similar on on the rocker panel, rear door and wheel arch extension, ideally before you drive it or you'll end up with a nice 'peperred' look from stone chips in no time, it amazes me they don't factory fit it still.

Bearing in mind what this car cost I don't think BMW have reacted well enough or quick enough, they expect us to pay a premium for what they want us to believe is a premium product but there are just too many issues and complaints about these cars to warrant the premium price.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 11:55 AM   #10
Bimmerx53
Rep
Drives: Bmw e70 x5

I have had this issue as well, restarted it and it was gone however the car did not feel as crisp anymore. It is not as immediate while excelerating. Anyone had any ideas on what might be wrong? My friend said it could be the transmission.
Appreciate 0