XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-01-2018, 08:29 AM   #1
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
some errors, looking for advice

Hi guys as some of you know I replaced my dash with leather dash, interior trim and couple other small things this past weekend, it definitely feels and looks nice.
The task was somewhat time consuming and not the easiest task you can do, considering I had to remove center console.

So long story short below are the list of issues I'm having after the replacement:

1. Restrain System malfunction (see pic attached)
2. S mode not functional (kicks back)

3. Steering wheel controls doesn't work (including M)
4. Steering wheel lights doesn't work
5. Horn doesn't work
6. Keyless access doesn't work

Just a few notes, I spent few hours last night and revisited all connections under the dash, multimedia, center console and steering wheel cassette ring everything seems to be in order!

I had help from my buddy doing the switch and he accidentally rotated the cassette ring a little on the first day, I believe this has something to do with no power coming to steering wheel controls. light, horn and maybe keyless access, I totally lost on Passenger Airbag...

Even thought we checked the Clock Spring Assembly I'm planning to order new one to see if this gonna help to resolve this issues.

If anybody had a similar experience I would love to hear it!

Thank you!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 11:53 AM   #2
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
even though I had no comments on this issue, I assume everybody were lucky enough not to run in to the same, I have little update and wanted to share with you!

I received the Clock Spring Assembly this morning and after installing it some issues were fixed, such as:

1. S mode not functional (kicks back) - fixed

2. Steering wheel controls doesn't work (including M) - fixed
3. Steering wheel lights doesn't work - fixed
4. Horn doesn't work - fixed

following issues are remaining:

1. Restrain System malfunction (see pic attached)
2. Keyless access doesn't work

I did some reading on Pass Restrain system and it looks like it can come up for many different reasons starting with voltage change to cleaning the seats...

My next step is to try to read and clear the error codes using my Carly adapter, I would do it now but have to wait until I get home as I recently replaced my iPhone with Android and I guess the iPhone adapter isn't compatible with Android app, not to mention I'm not paying second time for new app and new adapter, luckily my replaced iPhone at home with full payed app.

Hopefully clearing the codes will fix 2 issues that left!

I'll let you know...

Thanks for reading
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 01:54 PM   #3
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
Probably not many will be able to provide help with this, but good to document your findings for future reference. I have to agree there's nothing like a full leather interior!
Appreciate 1
boneca2000.50
      05-05-2018, 03:32 PM   #4
vioilio
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X5M

Clear your codes. You have destroyed your original clock spring and nowyou habe some error codes in bunch of different modules including the SRS module. The clock spring is your bridge for everything steering wheel related to the rest of the car. Since you already replaced it just clear the codes and that should fix your issues.
Appreciate 2
boneca2000.50
Doctor///M1792.00
      05-05-2018, 04:56 PM   #5
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor///M View Post
Probably not many will be able to provide help with this, but good to document your findings for future reference. I have to agree there's nothing like a full leather interior!
I appreciate it

Quote:
Originally Posted by vioilio View Post
Clear your codes. You have destroyed your original clock spring and nowyou habe some error codes in bunch of different modules including the SRS module. The clock spring is your bridge for everything steering wheel related to the rest of the car. Since you already replaced it just clear the codes and that should fix your issues.
yes you are right! to follow up on this:
Today morning after charging my old iPhone overnight I went to check/clear codes using Carly, to my surprise there were not a single error related to Air Bag! There were few other errors in different modules which I cleared but nothing worked.
I went to my mechanic this morning (I had to bring my gf car to check) and asked him if I can bring my car over so he can scan it with pro scanner, he said sure and an hour later I was there! Sure enough his pro scanner did the job right away! No more Restraint air bag error in my face!

The only issue left at this time is my keyless entry, which is kinda strange as everything works including keyless entry to the trunk but none of 4 doors will either lock or unlock without the key press. I can live with that for now but my mechanic mentioned that I might need to go to the dealer so they can reprogram the keyless function

Thank you everybody for reading and helping
Appreciate 0