XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

10-12-2009, 02:27 PM   #1
jouzef2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x6 5.0i

Asking about the possibility of installation 21 Inch Style 215 Ferric Gray for X6 V8

Hi All ,

Can i put the wheels (Style 215 Ferric Gray -21 inch- ) on X6 xDrive 50i ?
Are there any problems that i'll face if i fix them on my car.. such as noise , Vibration or off-balance on the road ?

Because the standard wheels comes from the factory are 20 inch .. so i want to know that can i put 21-inch without problems ..

Please I'm looking for someone tries 21 inch Wheels .. To advise me

Thanks ..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 02:40 PM   #2
sariggs1
Scott R.
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6 xDrive 50I

Garage List
2012 X6 50I  [0.00]
2006 Volvo XC90 V8  [0.00]
2001 996 Turbo  [0.00]
I have the gloss black 215s on mine and have no issues. They certainly attract a lot of attention. Here are pics on another thread. I have the 50i also.

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289310
Black Sapphire Metallic with Saddle Brown Nevada Leather, Comfort Access keyless entry, Running boards, Rear-View Camera, Dark Bamboo wood trim, HUD, HD Radio, Satellite Radio, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Rear Climate Package, Sport Package, Euro Black Kidney Grill, Euro Side Markers, Black Double Spoke 215 Wheels...
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 03:32 PM   #3
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jouzef2 View Post
Hi All ,

Can i put the wheels (Style 215 Ferric Gray -21 inch- ) on X6 xDrive 50i ?
Are there any problems that i'll face if i fix them on my car.. such as noise , Vibration or off-balance on the road ?

Because the standard wheels comes from the factory are 20 inch .. so i want to know that can i put 21-inch without problems ..

Please I'm looking for someone tries 21 inch Wheels .. To advise me

Thanks ..
Body color? Black is awesome and goes with just about anything, but Ferric Gray would look good with a number of body colors.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 03:42 PM   #4
jouzef2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sariggs1 View Post
I have the gloss black 215s on mine and have no issues. They certainly attract a lot of attention. Here are pics on another thread. I have the 50i also.

Thank you My friend for your information
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 03:45 PM   #5
jouzef2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
Body color? Black is awesome and goes with just about anything, but Ferric Gray would look good with a number of body colors.
the body color is gray .. what do you think of this combination ? is it good ?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 03:50 PM   #6
jouzef2
Private First Class
Rep

Hey friends , anybody also try them ..
i'm looking for more information plss
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 04:18 PM   #7
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
the body color is gray .. what do you think of this combination ? is it good ?
It's tough. Depends on what you like.

If you want a stealthy, tough look, then go with the black, but if you want a somewhat brighter slightly more sophisticated look then go with the grey.

I'd be happy either way, but as you can see the ferric grey will look very good!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 04:24 PM   #8
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Every time I see those pixs my mind says "I want!". That is one cool looking machine!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 06:28 AM   #9
jouzef2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
It's tough. Depends on what you like.

If you want a stealthy, tough look, then go with the black, but if you want a somewhat brighter slightly more sophisticated look then go with the grey.

I'd be happy either way, but as you can see the ferric grey will look very good!
thanks for the pics .. u know this is the first time i saw the gray one with ferric grey wheels .. thanks alot .. and if you have more pls attach them
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 06:33 AM   #10
jouzef2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

i want to ask you about something .. today i called the agent of BMW Spare Parts Section .. they told me that they will put an extra piece above the tiyre ( i don't know what it's name ) .. cuz the tiyres & the wheels are too big so they need to make X6 a bit higher .. is that right ?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 06:43 AM   #11
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
thanks for the pics .. u know this is the first time i saw the gray one with ferric grey wheels .. thanks alot .. and if you have more pls attach them
You are welcome. Those photos came from the BMW (US) web site "Build Your Own". You can make your own.

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...1pDTSKi7ovMPM=
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 06:54 AM   #12
jouzef2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You are welcome. Those photos came from the BMW (US) web site "Build Your Own". You can make your own.

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...1pDTSKi7ovMPM=
Thank you my friend
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 08:15 AM   #13
dimitrik
Private
France
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
i want to ask you about something .. today i called the agent of BMW Spare Parts Section .. they told me that they will put an extra piece above the tiyre ( i don't know what it's name ) .. cuz the tiyres & the wheels are too big so they need to make X6 a bit higher .. is that right ?
Hey jouzef,

I don't think that is completely correct. They do add a small piece of grey plastic which goes on the inside of the wheel arch and protrudes slightly. My understanding was that this is to prevent too much splashing from the bigger wheels. It will not however make you car any higher. I too has the factory 20s and changed to the 215 in ferric grey.

D
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 10:32 AM   #14
jouzef2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitrik View Post
Hey jouzef,

I don't think that is completely correct. They do add a small piece of grey plastic which goes on the inside of the wheel arch and protrudes slightly. My understanding was that this is to prevent too much splashing from the bigger wheels. It will not however make you car any higher. I too has the factory 20s and changed to the 215 in ferric grey.

D
Heeey Dimitrik,
Thanks now i get it . Do you feel any difference when you install the 21s wheels ? like uncomfortable when you drive it ? & u told me the car will not be higher than before ,, and it'll still remain @ the same standarded high am i right ? My brother told maybe your car will be higher than before & it'll be Ugly scene, on what u said i think he's wrong .
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 11:25 AM   #15
m3_p0wer
Private
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

my car no problems at all sure you will note a difference you can feel anything on the road because they are 21 with flat tyres
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 04:02 PM   #16
dimitrik
Private
France
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Heeey Dimitrik,
Thanks now i get it . Do you feel any difference when you install the 21s wheels ? like uncomfortable when you drive it ? & u told me the car will not be higher than before ,, and it'll still remain @ the same standarded high am i right ? My brother told maybe your car will be higher than before & it'll be Ugly scene, on what u said i think he's wrong .
I guess the car may be a tiny bit higher since the wheels are bigger but I really don't think you'll notice and those rims look damn good IMHO. I do admit that it is a slightly harsher ride due to the bigger rims and tyres but it's nothing I can't live with. I really don't regret getting them except for the fact that it is easier to curb my wheels here in Paris, but everyone who has known my X6 from when I had the factory 20s can't believe how much better these rims make the car look.

Hope it helps a bit!

D
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 07:21 PM   #17
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I guess the car may be a tiny bit higher since the wheels are bigger. . .
The tire height is the same within the the entire Dunlop range as noted below. The manufactures keep the outside diameter the same by changing the aspect ratios i.e., 285/50 vs 325/30. The first number (285) is the section with of the tire and the second number (50) is the tire height profile (percentage of width).

Below are charts taken from the tirerack.com and the Dunlop websites.

The upper charts are from tirerack.com indicating what sizes are typically available for X6 5.0i wheel diameters from 19" -21".

The long black/gray charts are from Dunlop's website and shows the actual specs for the available tires sizes available for wheel diameters from 19" -21".

On the Dunlop charts the critical thing to look at is the column labeled "Outside Diameter". You will note that for outside diameter sizes for the 19", 20" and 21" tires are virtually the same. Only the 19" varies by .1" from the other sizes.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 08:24 PM   #18
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Quote:
I guess the car may be a tiny bit higher since the wheels are bigger but I really don't think you'll notice and those rims look damn good IMHO. I do admit that it is a slightly harsher ride due to the bigger rims and tyres but it's nothing I can't live with. I really don't regret getting them except for the fact that it is easier to curb my wheels here in Paris, but everyone who has known my X6 from when I had the factory 20s can't believe how much better these rims make the car look.

Hope it helps a bit!

D
Check this link: http://www.dakota-truck.net/TIRECALC/tirecalc.html

There you can put the size of your actual tires against the new ones, then you will see the real difference, sometimes going 1 size up on the wheels, you got 1 size down on the tire sidewall height, so you can end at the same height, hope it will work for you
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 08:37 PM   #19
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by motex View Post
Check this link: http://www.dakota-truck.net/TIRECALC/tirecalc.html

There you can put the size of your actual tires against the new ones, then you will see the real difference, sometimes going 1 size up on the wheels, you got 1 size down on the tire sidewall height, so you can end at the same height, hope it will work for you
motex, that looks like a cool site for general information, but I think for specific sizes/brands you need to consult the manufacture's specs.

I plugged in the two most extreme Dunlop sizes 255/50-19 vs 325/30-21, which on the Dunlop web site (see charts above) indicate have the same outside diameter, but you'll notice that TIRECALC indicates they are different.

It was right on for the size comparison of Dunlop sizes 275/40-20 vs 325/30-21.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 10:36 PM   #20
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
well, you got me with this one.......it will be great that someone here knew how to make those numbers to see which website is closer to reality, anyhow, good luck with your choice
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 12:57 AM   #21
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by motex View Post
well, you got me with this one.......it will be great that someone here knew how to make those numbers to see which website is closer to reality, anyhow, good luck with your choice
I think it's good for general info because it has to make assumptions for a lot of manufactures, that's all.
Appreciate 0