XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-19-2017, 12:04 PM   #23
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBimX5din View Post
I think you are wrong.

The difference motor wise is internal. I believe its the same oil change.

It might even be cheaper then a xDrive50i, since the 50i's have the ZF8, it may take more fluid or cost more to maintain then the ZF6.

I just don't know for sure, but I assume it is most likely negligible differences.
If the M is producing more horsepower, it should burn more gas. And it may have larger and drilled rotors, so when brakes need replacing they would cost more. Rims may be larger so tires when needed will cost a bit more. I know in the case of the E85 roadsters, those cars have a number of specialty bits that are more costly on the M version. And they require several rather costly inspections that the non-M cars don't, and valve adjustment when required is a manual process that you need a qualified tech to do. Its not cheap either. Perhaps not all of this applies to the X5 and X5M, but I wouldn't assume that operating costs are identical.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 03:54 PM   #24
JoeyBimX5din
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMX X5 Xdrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
If the M is producing more horsepower, it should burn more gas. And it may have larger and drilled rotors, so when brakes need replacing they would cost more. Rims may be larger so tires when needed will cost a bit more. I know in the case of the E85 roadsters, those cars have a number of specialty bits that are more costly on the M version. And they require several rather costly inspections that the non-M cars don't, and valve adjustment when required is a manual process that you need a qualified tech to do. Its not cheap either. Perhaps not all of this applies to the X5 and X5M, but I wouldn't assume that operating costs are identical.
I didn't say it was the same cost. I said it was negligible, to me, that is quite different, and here is why...

More horsepower does not mean you will burn more gas. This has been proven over many different vehicle types and motor power levels. Comparing the X5 M mileage to a 50i mileage specifically, there will not be much difference, if any at all. 50i and M guys can chime in with this, my 50i mileage is tracked to, so if any M guys wanna show there mileage, we can compare, to prove or disprove what I think.

I don't want to get into a deep theory breakdown, on cost of ownership maintenance wise, as I just don't know for 100% certainty what either would cost to maintain. I do know cars, and trucks, very well. I can say for 100% certainty, that if I owned an M instead of a 50i, the only thing that would cost more, would be my monthly payment. No ifs ands or buts about it. I don't believe there is a costly valve job that the 4.4 V8s require, I will have to read through the workbook on my motor (N63) and see for my application. I would never pay someone to inspect my own vehicle, I would, successfully complete the valve adjustment on my own, and the price of brakes would solely be determined by how cheap of a person I am when it comes to buying them. I would also complete the installation. For me yes, it would be, identical. I say this as a twice Master OEM, and current ASE master technician.

For everyone else, yes, again I say, the operational costs would be negligible. With a bit of wit in parts purchasing such as, the one M owner who found out the M brand plugs just cost more because they spec'd specifically for the M, come to find out, there is a regular BMW plug that meets the same standard as the M plugs, and works just as well, I truly believe the cost of ownership is NEGLIGIBLE (as in different, but not in any noteworthy sense, something like a few hundred dollars a year, at absolute max)

I hope I don't come off disrespectful in my post, I was delighted you were pleasant in your disagreement of my other post, but I want to clarify better to you what I meant, as I did not explain in depth about my previous post. I believe this may bring a moment where you may agree with me. If not, no big deal, and cheers anyway.
1995 BMW 540i6 - H&R Lowering Springs, Bilstein's, Racing Dynamics Bars, Catback, Short shifter
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 08:04 AM   #25
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBimX5din View Post
I didn't say it was the same cost. I said it was negligible, to me, that is quite different, and here is why...

More horsepower does not mean you will burn more gas. This has been proven over many different vehicle types and motor power levels. Comparing the X5 M mileage to a 50i mileage specifically, there will not be much difference, if any at all. 50i and M guys can chime in with this, my 50i mileage is tracked to, so if any M guys wanna show there mileage, we can compare, to prove or disprove what I think.

I don't want to get into a deep theory breakdown, on cost of ownership maintenance wise, as I just don't know for 100% certainty what either would cost to maintain. I do know cars, and trucks, very well. I can say for 100% certainty, that if I owned an M instead of a 50i, the only thing that would cost more, would be my monthly payment. No ifs ands or buts about it. I don't believe there is a costly valve job that the 4.4 V8s require, I will have to read through the workbook on my motor (N63) and see for my application. I would never pay someone to inspect my own vehicle, I would, successfully complete the valve adjustment on my own, and the price of brakes would solely be determined by how cheap of a person I am when it comes to buying them. I would also complete the installation. For me yes, it would be, identical. I say this as a twice Master OEM, and current ASE master technician.

For everyone else, yes, again I say, the operational costs would be negligible. With a bit of wit in parts purchasing such as, the one M owner who found out the M brand plugs just cost more because they spec'd specifically for the M, come to find out, there is a regular BMW plug that meets the same standard as the M plugs, and works just as well, I truly believe the cost of ownership is NEGLIGIBLE (as in different, but not in any noteworthy sense, something like a few hundred dollars a year, at absolute max)

I hope I don't come off disrespectful in my post, I was delighted you were pleasant in your disagreement of my other post, but I want to clarify better to you what I meant, as I did not explain in depth about my previous post. I believe this may bring a moment where you may agree with me. If not, no big deal, and cheers anyway.
Yo Joey!

I hang out a lot on the E85 forum where the operating costs of the M and non-M cars are typically different for the reasons I mentioned above. I figured it was reasonable to expect the same held true for the E70 X5 but if that doesn't extend to the E70 X5, then that's good news as you say. I'm happy to be wrong if it means that we all arrive at the right answer!

Cheers!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0