XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-03-2012, 09:20 AM   #1
WMureay
W Murray
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 5.0i

X5 Park Brake Failure

I have now had 3 park brake failures on my X5 in less than 2 months and this is really annoying. It is my second X5 and the first one did not have any problems.

Mileage is 27000km on a 2011 X5 5.0i

Is anybody aware that this is a constant problem on the X5/6 vehicles as I am awaiting delivery of my X6 5.0d M and don't want the same issues!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 09:01 AM   #2
MRG123
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5

Ive had the same issue over the last year . can be driving along then bing ' Parking Brake Failure ' . Once i stop the car , switch off then restart it usually clears . I have had it once where if failed as i started the car , then couldn't release the brake , took 3 attempts .
Ive just put a new battery in today , as the old one was the orginal from new (May 2007). could be that , but will see ....
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
Brian@MWP
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

At metal Works we have had a hand full of X5s with this issue and in the beginning we replaced EFM control modules, fixed chafed wiring . They all came back and then we herd there was an issue with the amount of clamping force for each pin in the connector to the EMF control module. We started by cutting the connecor end completely off and we re-pinned the entire connector with BMW connector, connector ends, wiring, ect... Havent had any of them come back yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 06:34 AM   #4
MRG123
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5

Update on the park brake failure .... Had the car in to the dealer for a power steering recall , so had them look at the park brake . Turns out the wiring loom is quite tight as it goes to the control box underneath the car . With the normal running of the car , the loom can get stretched and therefore the wiring plug starts to move in the control box socket . The dealer has now re routed the loom to give more slack . its only day 3 since i had it done , but all seems fine so far ... fingers crossed !!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
Gilda G
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xdrive

Does BMW cover the cost to repair the EMF module wiring since its a manufacturer defect? I bought my 2010 e70 to an independent BMW shop and they said for me to bring it to BMW since its a defect with the wires. If they fixed it they would have to charge me. I called my dealer and they cant see my car for three weeks by then i will be over my warrantee.