XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > X6 Engine / Exhaust / Drivetrain Modification

11-14-2015, 07:59 PM   #23
jyerkey
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5M E70 S63

ultimate racing DP are excellent. Awful job to perform but I love having the extra money and absolutely no adjustments, they are perfect!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 03:31 PM   #24
peter91118
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '01 325xit, '09 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayforge View Post
I installed AA Catless Downpipes and was disappointed. The right DP did not fit properly: the lower flange was twisted a few degrees, not allowing the bolt holes to line up.

Initially, AA swore that this couldn't happen since they use a jig for fabrication and final testing, but when I showed them photos of the misalignment in the car and compared with the stock DP on a bench, they were quite gracious and paid for me to ship the pipe back to them next day air, then turned it around in a day for Saturday delivery back to me.

It turns out that there is a significant gap between the downpipe flange and their jig's holes, so there's more play for getting bolts installed on the jig than in the actual stock system. Also, I wish they used studs or at least welded the bolts onto the flange to make install easier. It's a royal pain to hold those bolts in place within the tight confines under the car. I finally dropped the stock exhaust and bent a box end wrench to get access to those bolts for tightening.

Alas, the repair shortened the pipe by 3/16" or so and it wouldn't quite fit length-wise. Tiring of having my X5M on jack stands, I managed to get it to fit without leaks after a couple attempts by installing 2 stacked gaskets that I luckily had laying around that fit perfectly. These went between the DP flange and transmission bracket, taking up the gap that the shortened pipe caused.

A final fitment issue was the little heat shield cups that the O2 sensors fit into that help seal in the heat under the heat shielding. The O2 bungs were too far below the heat shield for the cups to reach. I ended up grinding the lip off the 2 cups so they would slip deeper down into the heat shield.

Oh, and their instruction manual (as of when I installed the system) was specific to the N63, not the S63 and had some errors to boot. I mentioned these to them, so hopefully, they'll update the manual.

Results: I'm sure there's better response and power potential since turbos love bigger pressure differentials. It's got a loud, raspy cold start sound that I'm slightly embarrassed at, but sounds nice once past this. I might have considered a resonated version knowing this.

So while I managed to get the DPs installed without leaks, the process was too painful. I'd go with AR if I were to do it again.

DP alignment issue in the car:

Flange alignment compared to stock:

You have a N63 down pipe right there, not S63.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 03:33 PM   #25
peter91118
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '01 325xit, '09 335i

Here is a side by side of AA S63 compared to AA N63. Notice the weld closest to the v band.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 11:42 AM   #26
JupiterBMW
Self Proclaimed Roundel Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 & '13 F25 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyerkey View Post
ultimate racing DP are excellent. Awful job to perform but I love having the extra money and absolutely no adjustments, they are perfect!
Any pics of the downpipes before installation? I recently bought a set on here, never installed, but they won't go into place, at least not the passenger side one... Not even close... And the O2 sensor locations are quite different... So, I'm wondering if I didn't get screwed and bought a set of downpipes that don't actually fit the X5///M.

For instance, the O2 sensor bungs on the downpipes I have are almost in line with each other, and the OEM downpipes are about 90 degrees apart...

Can anyone verify??? I'm starting to get frustrated, and I have the truck on stands, no downpipes at all at the moment...
Past: '11 E91 335is, '11 E90 M3, '10 X5M, '14 328d, '03 330i Dinan3 ZHP, '04 330i ZHP, '12 X3 35i
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 07:37 PM   #27
gixxerboy63
Tanzanite Blue II X5M Pilot
Rep
Drives: M3, M4, X3 M40i, X5M

Garage List
2017 m4  [0.00]
2010 BMW X5M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterBMW View Post
Any pics of the downpipes before installation? I recently bought a set on here, never installed, but they won't go into place, at least not the passenger side one... Not even close... And the O2 sensor locations are quite different... So, I'm wondering if I didn't get screwed and bought a set of downpipes that don't actually fit the X5///M.

For instance, the O2 sensor bungs on the downpipes I have are almost in line with each other, and the OEM downpipes are about 90 degrees apart...

Can anyone verify??? I'm starting to get frustrated, and I have the truck on stands, no downpipes at all at the moment...
Here's mine:
(Hope this helps)

2020 X5M - Tanzanite II
2012 M3 - Alpine White
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 07:56 PM   #28
dpie
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterBMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyerkey View Post

Here are my AR Design Catless Pipes before install. Pre cat sensors were almost dead on to stock location. Post cats were down further as you can see.
Attached Images

Last edited by dpie; 01-05-2016 at 08:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 07:04 AM   #29
JupiterBMW
Self Proclaimed Roundel Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 & '13 F25 X3

Thanks for the replies guys... Well, turns out the downpipes I bought do NOT fit. Well, the drivers side fits, the passenger side, not even close... I did a lot of research, they've traded hands a LOT on this forum over the last 3 years, I'm the 4th owner of THIS set so far as I can tell.

Anyway, looks like I'm completely out for $650 that I paid for them. Of course, I can't sell them on knowing that they don't fit. Sucks too, I'm just too honest to do that, KNOWING that they don't fit.

When do I get a fucking break with this damn truck?!?!?
Past: '11 E91 335is, '11 E90 M3, '10 X5M, '14 328d, '03 330i Dinan3 ZHP, '04 330i ZHP, '12 X3 35i
Appreciate 0