XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

12-20-2012, 08:24 AM   #1
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

2013 X6M Wiper Auto Freeze Prevention?

OK - Sanity check...

Had the first snow on my X6M a couple of days ago. It was dry when I drove in to work and when I came out there was about a half inch of snow on the car. When I got inside, I noted that the wipers were now rotated about half way through the full arc on the windshield. I know I didn't leave the car this way. (I never would, and I'm not sure its even possible to turn off the X6M and have the wipers just suddenly stop). In any case, I didn't even use the wipers that morning.

I searched the owners manual to see if there is some sort of preemptive auto rotation of the wiper blades if there is an environmental possibility of them freezing in the retracted position. I could find no reference to this anywhere. I also called the dealer and they had no idea. I expect this is probably by design as it would be easier to unfreeze them if they were in the middle of the windshield where the defroster had better heat distribution.

Anyone seen this before or have any idea where it may be documented? I'm fairly certain it was not due to any Christmas elves (or gremlins)...
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 10:18 AM   #2
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

I am pretty sure that BMWs detect when the temp is below a certain point and then move the wipers up a small amount (2mm I saw somewhere). It could be that this is the first time your car has done this and it sort of flipped out? If it happens again, then obviously some setting is off.

Unfortunately it is possible to shut the car off with the wipers still moving. I did it three times last night on accident - drove me nuts.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
I am pretty sure that BMWs detect when the temp is below a certain point and then move the wipers up a small amount (2mm I saw somewhere). It could be that this is the first time your car has done this and it sort of flipped out? If it happens again, then obviously some setting is off.

Unfortunately it is possible to shut the car off with the wipers still moving. I did it three times last night on accident - drove me nuts.
wow I never knew our cars did that - cool!
Appreciate 0