XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-03-2017, 09:52 AM   #1
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M, Z3M

Launch Control Issue

Finally tried launch control but it didn’t really work. The issue is while pressing the brake with my left foot and stomping on the gas with my right, the car would move. The checkered flag would pop on for a second then go away. I tried again with more force on the brakes but had the same results.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 10:09 AM   #2
askjeeves
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3/spece30

Try easing onto the gas instead of stomping on it.
      08-03-2017, 09:13 PM   #3
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by askjeeves View Post
Try easing onto the gas instead of stomping on it.
I tried easing it this time. It didn't move as much as stomping but launch control didn't stay engage.
Maybe I have an issue with my brakes.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 10:44 AM   #4
greddy91
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly42 View Post
I tried easing it this time. It didn't move as much as stomping but launch control didn't stay engage.
I believe you are correct. My brakes won't allow the M to budge from a stand still even at WOT.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 10:10 PM   #5
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greddy91 View Post
I believe you are correct. My brakes won't allow the M to budge from a stand still even at WOT.
I've only had the car for a couple of weeks and thought the braking power was really good. I can only imagine when how it feels when it's running properly.

Btw, I decided to try LC by putting the parking brake on. It engaged and the car didn't move. I'll take a closer look at the brakes soon. More than likely I'll have them bled.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 08:40 AM   #6
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
How long do you expect the vehicle to hold the LC? The torque converter is set up to hold for a few seconds max, once it overheats the LC disengages. I hope you're not expecting it to last through a whole stop light. I'd say you have about 5 seconds (if that) to launch once it's engaged. You really have to time your launches with this setup.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 11:18 PM   #7
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
How long do you expect the vehicle to hold the LC? The torque converter is set up to hold for a few seconds max, once it overheats the LC disengages. I hope you're not expecting it to last through a whole stop light. I'd say you have about 5 seconds (if that) to launch once it's engaged. You really have to time your launches with this setup.
LC would disengage after 1 second because the car is rolling. Though when the parking brake was used LC stayed engaged. I launched it right away...I was too excited to finally try it.
Hopefully the issue with the brakes is not major.
Appreciate 1
mirob2944.50
      08-10-2017, 12:36 PM   #8
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ok so it looks like the issue is with the brakes. The pads are low and the rotors are at the min. I’m a bit ticked off because I had the car sent to a BMW dealership where I paid for a PPI. It was noted that the brakes were fine. Even if I did use the brake heavily the past few weeks they should’ve measured that they were low and would need replacing soon.

Anyway not much of a big deal, I’ll replace the brakes and hopefully that’ll address the LC issue. Not that I plan on doing LC all the time…I just want to make sure the car is functioning properly.

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 11:55 AM   #9
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5m

Were you able to engage the Lunch control on your X5M. I am surprised that your CBS system didn't warn you about the wear out of the breaks. Was there anything in the Idrive CBS about your break pads.

Quote:
Ok so it looks like the issue is with the brakes. The pads are low and the rotors are at the min. I’m a bit ticked off because I had the car sent to a BMW dealership where I paid for a PPI. It was noted that the brakes were fine. Even if I did use the brake heavily the past few weeks they should’ve measured that they were low and would need replacing soon.

Anyway not much of a big deal, I’ll replace the brakes and hopefully that’ll address the LC issue. Not that I plan on doing LC all the time…I just want to make sure the car is functioning properly.

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 01:01 PM   #10
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmayank View Post
Were you able to engage the Lunch control on your X5M. I am surprised that your CBS system didn't warn you about the wear out of the breaks. Was there anything in the Idrive CBS about your break pads.
I've only had the car for a few weeks, so going forward I can rely on the CBS.

I was able to engage launch control if the parking brake was used. There wasn't anything in the idrive about the brake pads. The used car dealer probably reset the CBS even though the brakes wasn't serviced. This is why I had the car brought to a BMW dealer so a trained technician can inspect the car. But apparently they didn't check which is sad
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 01:13 PM   #11
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5m

How many weeks you owned the car and the miles you have put on it. The problems faced by you( Launch due to break) is very less than other owners who are complaining about turbo, VANOS, valve stem, oil leaks and electronic. Do you take special care of your car. I have bought a 2010 x5m with 64 k miles on it and hoping it can last until 100 k . Also taken exclusionary warranty for next 40k/48 months for 8k$. What is your thoughts on warranty, are you planning to take one

Quote:
I've only had the car for a few weeks, so going forward I can rely on the CBS.

I was able to engage launch control if the parking brake was used. There wasn't anything in the idrive about the brake pads. The used car dealer probably reset the CBS even though the brakes wasn't serviced. This is why I had the car brought to a BMW dealer so a trained technician can inspect the car. But apparently they didn't check which is sad
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 09:08 AM   #12
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmayank View Post
How many weeks you owned the car and the miles you have put on it. The problems faced by you( Launch due to break) is very less than other owners who are complaining about turbo, VANOS, valve stem, oil leaks and electronic. Do you take special care of your car. I have bought a 2010 x5m with 64 k miles on it and hoping it can last until 100 k . Also taken exclusionary warranty for next 40k/48 months for 8k$. What is your thoughts on warranty, are you planning to take one
I’ve only had the car for a few weeks now and put about 1k miles on it. This includes the miles from driving the car 8hrs home from purchasing it in another state. Since having the car, I’ve been testing things and making sure the car is good with its maintenance. So far I’ve replaced the spark plugs and O2 sensors. The reason I didn’t inspect in detail the brake system was because I paid a BMW technician to do so…which who apparently didn’t do their job. The technician should’ve checked the thickness of the rotors.

I understand the risks of not having any warranty. My way of mitigating is having a fair amount of tools, knowledge and resources so I can diagnose and make repairs myself. I’m not fortunate enough to have the car serviced regularly at a dealer.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2017, 09:25 PM   #13
Leonelm3-X5M
M-Power Dallas !!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 Custom HPF 900whp Turbo M3

Garage List
2010 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2012 BMW X5d  [10.00]
2001 BMW M3  [10.00]
Everything Happens for a Reason....

Looks like your opportunity has arrived for you to upgrade your E70 X5 ///M OEM brake Rotors+pads with the Superior set of the F15 X5 ///M OEM brake Rotors + pads
      08-22-2017, 01:21 PM   #14
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonelm3-X5M View Post
Everything Happens for a Reason....

Looks like your opportunity has arrived for you to upgrade your E70 X5 ///M OEM brake Rotors+pads with the Superior set of the F15 X5 ///M OEM brake Rotors + pads
Yup, the F85 rotors just came in. I plan on tackling the job this weekend along with an oil change.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 10:50 AM   #15
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ok so I replaced worn rotors and pads, flushed the brake system, and replaced an oil leaking vacuum pump...launch control still didn't work.

I inspected the brake booster check valve and that was fine. I then went ahead to replacing the brake booster and master cylinder.

It turns out that the brake booster was on the path of complete failure. My guess is that the diaphragm inside the booster would start leaking after the brake pedal is pressed past a certain point. This might be the reason why the issue wasn't noticeable on normal driving. And probably why the BMW tech inspecting the car didn't pick up on the issue.

I'm happy to finally do LC and know how the braking of the car should feel like.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 01:56 PM   #16
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

same here.. cant use launch control whatever im trying on MDM, ESP system off or normal on D,S or manual mode.. car wants creep hardly while braking and in mechanical way it can be felt that it harms the shaft etc.. i didnt try with parking brake but i feel like it wont work anyway.. im abroad at the moment that cant try w/parking brake but i will..

rotors are low a bit but pads are new.. no faults or leakage.. but cant find the reason.. my car produced at April '10.. any ideas why?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 04:08 PM   #17
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
same here.. cant use launch control whatever im trying on MDM, ESP system off or normal on D,S or manual mode.. car wants creep hardly while braking and in mechanical way it can be felt that it harms the shaft etc.. i didnt try with parking brake but i feel like it wont work anyway.. im abroad at the moment that cant try w/parking brake but i will..

rotors are low a bit but pads are new.. no faults or leakage.. but cant find the reason.. my car produced at April '10.. any ideas why?
Even if your rotors or pads are low, the car should still stay put while trying launch control. Don't bother testing LC by using the parking brake...it will not work if the car is rolls.

There are many components in the braking system. I would start with flushing the brake fluid.

Here are some symptoms if you have a brake booster issue:
-Hissing sound or air escaping when the brake pedal is pressed
-with max force on brake pedal, the pedal will go down but then a greater force from the system will push the pedal up.
-in safe steep decline area, repeatedly press and let go of the brake pedal quickly. or with a constant pressure have you foot on the brakes but increase and decrease pressure. A failing brake booster will not stop sharply.

If you have a brake booster problem, I suggest starting with the easiest and cheapest replaceable items. Remove the brake booster check-valve and test it. At the same time you can use a vacuum gauge and test the amount of vacuum the vacuum pump is producing. If those are fine then you may want to start looking into the master cylinder and booster. Note that the master cylinder has to be removed if the brake booster is replaced.
Appreciate 1
yco5722.50
      01-11-2018, 05:18 AM   #18
yco
i'm just saying
Rep

Quote:
Even if your rotors or pads are low, the car should still stay put while trying launch control. Don't bother testing LC by using the parking brake...it will not work if the car is rolls.

There are many components in the braking system. I would start with flushing the brake fluid.

Here are some symptoms if you have a brake booster issue:
-Hissing sound or air escaping when the brake pedal is pressed
-with max force on brake pedal, the pedal will go down but then a greater force from the system will push the pedal up.
-in safe steep decline area, repeatedly press and let go of the brake pedal quickly. or with a constant pressure have you foot on the brakes but increase and decrease pressure. A failing brake booster will not stop sharply.

If you have a brake booster problem, I suggest starting with the easiest and cheapest replaceable items. Remove the brake booster check-valve and test it. At the same time you can use a vacuum gauge and test the amount of vacuum the vacuum pump is producing. If those are fine then you may want to start looking into the master cylinder and booster. Note that the master cylinder has to be removed if the brake booster is replaced.
thanks for the idea.. i ll check but i feel like its more likely seems like an electronic miscommunication or something.. brakes hold the car quite firmly but engine overcomes when i try get close to 2k rpm.. since it has a conventional torque convertor should let the engine rev a bit.. now when i think maybe i should hit the gas pedal more harder for letting the car initiate LC.. when you LC your car does it matter you press the pedal slowly or fast?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 09:28 AM   #19
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
thanks for the idea.. i ll check but i feel like its more likely seems like an electronic miscommunication or something.. brakes hold the car quite firmly but engine overcomes when i try get close to 2k rpm.. since it has a conventional torque convertor should let the engine rev a bit.. now when i think maybe i should hit the gas pedal more harder for letting the car initiate LC.. when you LC your car does it matter you press the pedal slowly or fast?
Same here, my initial thought was that there's an issue with the electronics. This was also my first car with launch control so holding the brake and pressing the gas is new to me. Though I eliminated that possibility by pressing the brake as hard as I could along with using the parking brake.

I tried reaching out to local X5M to see how it is done and to feel how the braking system should be like. Fortunately there was an X5M for sale locally that I was able to test drive to feel the baking system.

Send me a PM and maybe I can help you troubleshoot. We could facetime or I can end you a video of how it's done. You're not along...this is what forums are for.

Keep in mind nothing about launch control feels natural for the car. The torque converter is designed for this.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 09:39 AM   #20
protecon
*May contain nuts
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M MCB

Launch control is designed purely for allowing the motor to build rpm (boost) before moving.
If you watch the vid in my sig, this is how long you should be holding brake/building rpm before disengaging -- any longer and you're going to start wearing out/over heating components.

I did this hard launch to WOT about a dozen times that weekend without issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 05:18 PM   #21
yco
i'm just saying
Rep

Quote:
Same here, my initial thought was that there's an issue with the electronics. This was also my first car with launch control so holding the brake and pressing the gas is new to me. Though I eliminated that possibility by pressing the brake as hard as I could along with using the parking brake.

I tried reaching out to local X5M to see how it is done and to feel how the braking system should be like. Fortunately there was an X5M for sale locally that I was able to test drive to feel the baking system.

Send me a PM and maybe I can help you troubleshoot. We could facetime or I can end you a video of how it's done. You're not along...this is what forums are for.

Keep in mind nothing about launch control feels natural for the car. The torque converter is designed for this.
thanks for helping out.. Im in Istanbul now and my car is in Kyiv at the moment couple weeks more i need to be here.. i ll keep in mind after i go back.. i had E92 M3 for a month it was really feeling like you want to do a LC.. but E71 X6M feels like not.. )
Appreciate 0