XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-11-2017, 09:04 PM   #1
greddy91
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

JB4 Map use on 2010 X5M

All,

I've been beating on my M for several months now with e30 on map 5. Today, on a whim, I switched to map 1 and holy hell what a difference in power. I think this clearly means I have some issues that map 5 detunes for where map 1 doesn't give a rats ass.

Chime in please. Map 2 stutters like crazy and is unusable past 30% throttle.

Could I have some rabid old injectors causing this or is there a way to check them versus maybe a weak lpfp?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 09:15 AM   #2
jcm3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M, 07 911 TT

You running map2 on 93 octane? What index injectors do you have and plugs new?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 10:34 AM   #3
greddy91
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Nah... Can't even think about running map2. New plugs 2 steps colder. Original injectors I presume.

Stay on e30 consistently.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 12:01 PM   #4
jcm3
First Lieutenant
Rep

U have bcm?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 10:31 AM   #5
greddy91
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yes indeed.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 10:52 AM   #6
jcm3
First Lieutenant
Rep

I'd try straight 93. My car doesn't run to great on e30 either
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 11:11 PM   #7
Schmidty_
Rep
Drives: 2014 F22 M235 2012 E70 X5M

Garage List
2005 330I ZHP  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
2012 E70 X5M  [0.00]
Map 5 is not used on the s63. It is only in use on the N and B motors and I think maybe the S63tu.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 05:40 AM   #8
jcm3
First Lieutenant
Rep

True...never tried anything above map3 that's the one tuned for e30.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 04:11 PM   #9
greddy91
Second Lieutenant
Rep

What? Map 5 isnt the autotune map?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 05:27 PM   #10
jcm3
First Lieutenant
Rep

There is no map 5, map 6 is user adjustable and map 3 is for e30
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 02:52 PM   #11
greddy91
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well what do you know Map 3 is the e30 map and after 3 good pulls on it:

White smoke out the exhaust...

I suspected it might be the injectors - scheduled a visit to Dealer for warranty swap of them.

Then - on the last half mile of the 20 mile drive... Knock detected on cylinder 1 and 4.

That was yesterday.

Today the quote for a new motor is being created. Hope my lifetime lubricated parts warranty comes through here. If not, I will have been a BMW owner for 4 months and likely not ever again.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 09:29 PM   #12
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showth...d=1#post554530
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 12:01 PM   #13
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Mirob, I love your reply...you should have left it up
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 07:23 AM   #14
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
Mirob, I love your reply...you should have left it up
HAHAHAHA. When I re-read it, it seemed a little too cruel but totally fitting now that I think about it.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 07:38 PM   #15
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I don't know how much faith to put into JB4, but I'd think it'd have kicked itself into map 4 if there were lean issues that caused this much knocking. Then again OP likely ignored it and put it back into map 5...he was active at 2:46pm today yet hasn't replied since so maybe we'll never know.

Last edited by m5james; 08-28-2017 at 07:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 05:00 PM   #16
greddy91
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Op is still here.

I actually logged in to see if the comment that was so glaring it needed to be deleted was back up. Curious. You guys can be internet dicks. Doesn't bother me.

While we're firing shots... I PM'd you M5James 6 months ago to find out what paths you had gone down to get where you are and never got a response. So great sense of community for you to begin replying when it's snide. I'm sure you're likely a great guy in person, as I feel I am as well. We'd probably get along well. Now... on comment number 12... you sent a link... good job! WTF were you getting at? Wanting to upgrade the MAP sensors to 3 bar?

Map 5, being "under development", I'm pretty sure is a blank map like 4 was. I never had any issues. Felt a bit more oomphy than stock though. Map 1 was a surprise kick in the pants. I figured the fuel mixture being e30 might make total sense and maybe Map 3 would fix it all up.

It did... it ran like a scalded ape. No bucking or hesitation at all.

Not sure what the harsh comment was, but feel free to leave it up and cont-inue being a cont-inuous source of inspiration to people.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 05:56 PM   #17
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I agree with mirob that your post came off as looking to point the finger when it was you who'd failed to pay attention. Your lack of comments after that were likely taken as swallowing your pride and bowing out vs owning up to your mistake.

I don't recall you PM'ing me, I'm usually pretty good at replying but I usually also work 12hrs days during Seattle's rainy months based on you saying you'd written 6 months ago. I'm sure we would...things always get taken outta context when over internet. Yes, I anytime I push past 21psi the truck will stumble and I'll get a nagging overboost code that doesn't like to clear for a day or so. The stock S63TU came with 3bar stock and high boost N54 users convert over to 3bar so I'm wondering if I should do the same to see where it takes me.

Map 4 isn't blank, it's a map that the JB4 will safety default into when it sees things it doesn't like...overboost, lean, etc and it'll allow CANBUS reading while not actually adjusting any settings like the other maps.

Mine personally doesn't like E30 on any maps, but that might have something to do with the tune as well.. Terry told me I should run meth and E30 at the same time to see if things change...apparently meth helps with the E30 combustion. Another high boost N54 trick is to run N55 coils, which is something I've been meaning to look into since I'm still on stock coils with over 100k on them.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 07:10 AM   #18
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greddy91 View Post
Op is still here.

I actually logged in to see if the comment that was so glaring it needed to be deleted was back up. Curious. You guys can be internet dicks. Doesn't bother me.

While we're firing shots... I PM'd you M5James 6 months ago to find out what paths you had gone down to get where you are and never got a response. So great sense of community for you to begin replying when it's snide. I'm sure you're likely a great guy in person, as I feel I am as well. We'd probably get along well. Now... on comment number 12... you sent a link... good job! WTF were you getting at? Wanting to upgrade the MAP sensors to 3 bar?

Map 5, being "under development", I'm pretty sure is a blank map like 4 was. I never had any issues. Felt a bit more oomphy than stock though. Map 1 was a surprise kick in the pants. I figured the fuel mixture being e30 might make total sense and maybe Map 3 would fix it all up.

It did... it ran like a scalded ape. No bucking or hesitation at all.

Not sure what the harsh comment was, but feel free to leave it up and cont-inue being a cont-inuous source of inspiration to people.
I'm sorry, but who the hell are you to point the proverbial finger at us with that sarcastic bullshit? He's helped and offered advice to more people on here than you could ever hope to with your 37 posts.

How did you not do your research when applying something as user-adjustable as JB4 to your truck? You obviously gave zero fucks about the consequences and now you're on here bitching at us. E30? Did you think this was going to turn into a GT-R with ground clearance?

As to my original comment...I was wondering how, in your right mind, can you run the wrong fuel, on the wrong map, and then be mad that you fucked your shit up...and then have the audacity to blame it on BMW? I'm still wondering, by the way...

Quote:
Well what do you know Map 3 is the e30 map

Today the quote for a new motor is being created. Hope my lifetime lubricated parts warranty comes through here. If not, I will have been a BMW owner for 4 months and likely not ever again.
If you're going to do some dumb shit, expect to be blasted over it...it is the internet after all...
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 02:43 PM   #19
greddy91
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
I'm sorry, but who the hell are you to point the proverbial finger at us with that sarcastic bullshit? He's helped and offered advice to more people on here than you could ever hope to with your 37 posts.

How did you not do your research when applying something as user-adjustable as JB4 to your truck? You obviously gave zero fucks about the consequences and now you're on here bitching at us. E30? Did you think this was going to turn into a GT-R with ground clearance?

As to my original comment...I was wondering how, in your right mind, can you run the wrong fuel, on the wrong map, and then be mad that you fucked your shit up...and then have the audacity to blame it on BMW? I'm still wondering, by the way...

If you're going to do some dumb shit, expect to be blasted over it...it is the internet after all...
Ran e30 on map3 as suggested. That's what cratered it. Finger pointing at BMW is you taking things in your own context.

Ford and GM tuning options are fantastic. Adding functions and tweaking are incredibly easy. Reliability on them even when modded to hell remain stellar.

This X as well as a friend's 3 series have been nothing but terribly problematic. Vac lines, coils, driveshafts, airbags, nav updates, frail wiring on every connector, all add up to a crazy under engineered maintenance nightmare. This is hands down the most problematic vehicle I have owned in the 30+ car history of my driving. So... Case and point. Yeah, BMW is an easy target.

I'm another internet user of some anonymity like yourself.

And I'm aware of James helpfulness, that's why I reached out to him.

You though... Your screen name hasn't been memorable either. Again I'm sure you're also great people just typing tough.

Zero research is a blind accusation. Have you installed a JB4 yet? There isn't exactly a manual for it. Not for install nor use. So... When checking out the functionality I was forced to bookmark the JB4 menu options for the 3 series. So call me whatever names you want, but you can also go eat a D. (Typing tough. No real offense meant.) I'm at least posting up my experiences for open dialogue so that perhaps the next person that buys one of these frankenshyt beasts can do a quick review and get to a usable or mod level they can be proud of without grenading anything.

James said he's not sold on the JB4 - for good freaking reason. This thing isn't exactly bulletproof or friendly. This is a beta project that we early adopted before development and purchasing disappeared.

So... Let's stop being dbags to each other and get back on topic. There's a superb story here and I'll gladly share it when it gets all said and done.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 03:27 PM   #20
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ran e30 on map3 as suggested. That's what cratered it. Finger pointing at BMW is you taking things in your own context.

Ford and GM tuning options are fantastic. Adding functions and tweaking are incredibly easy. Reliability on them even when modded to hell remain stellar.

This X as well as a friend's 3 series have been nothing but terribly problematic. Vac lines, coils, driveshafts, airbags, nav updates, frail wiring on every connector, all add up to a crazy under engineered maintenance nightmare. This is hands down the most problematic vehicle I have owned in the 30+ car history of my driving. So... Case and point. Yeah, BMW is an easy target.

I'm another internet user of some anonymity like yourself.

And I'm aware of James helpfulness, that's why I reached out to him.

You though... Your screen name hasn't been memorable either. Again I'm sure you're also great people just typing tough.

Zero research is a blind accusation. Have you installed a JB4 yet? There isn't exactly a manual for it. Not for install nor use. So... When checking out the functionality I was forced to bookmark the JB4 menu options for the 3 series. So call me whatever names you want, but you can also go eat a D. (Typing tough. No real offense meant.) I'm at least posting up my experiences for open dialogue so that perhaps the next person that buys one of these frankenshyt beasts can do a quick review and get to a usable or mod level they can be proud of without grenading anything.

James said he's not sold on the JB4 - for good freaking reason. This thing isn't exactly bulletproof or friendly. This is a beta project that we early adopted before development and purchasing disappeared.

So... Let's stop being dbags to each other and get back on topic. There's a superb story here and I'll gladly share it when it gets all said and done.
I'll just leave this right here.

Quote:
All,

I've been beating on my M for several months now with e30 on map 5.
No one claimed - EVER - that BMW makes the most reliable cars. These things (E70 X5 Ms) are disasters waiting to happen, all you have to do is open the general discussion forum and scroll to see it.

To answer your question, I went form JB to Velos. Albeit, it was the Stage 1 piggy. It was easy to tell the stress it was putting on the components just by the way the power surged and then fell off in midrange, just to pick up again before the redline. I had it for a year and it was a year too long. I wouldn't even try to flip it to another forum member.

People, like you, that picked up the JB4 BETA got hosed. From what I understand, they don't even offer it anymore. It's a shame. Are they not supporting it at all anymore?

I appreciate what you're trying to do and I understand your frustration. Everyone here understands the risk of tuning, that was my point.

I no longer want to derail this thread, good luck getting your ride sorted out. I feel for you.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 05:24 PM   #21
greddy91
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
I'll just leave this right here.

No one claimed - EVER - that BMW makes the most reliable cars. These things (E70 X5 Ms) are disasters waiting to happen, all you have to do is open the general discussion forum and scroll to see it.

To answer your question, I went form JB to Velos. Albeit, it was the Stage 1 piggy. It was easy to tell the stress it was putting on the components just by the way the power surged and then fell off in midrange, just to pick up again before the redline. I had it for a year and it was a year too long. I wouldn't even try to flip it to another forum member.

People, like you, that picked up the JB4 BETA got hosed. From what I understand, they don't even offer it anymore. It's a shame. Are they not supporting it at all anymore?

I appreciate what you're trying to do and I understand your frustration. Everyone here understands the risk of tuning, that was my point.

I no longer want to derail this thread, good luck getting your ride sorted out. I feel for you.
Did the switch to Velos make a huge difference? Obviously like you said, no dip in the midrange, but overall is it something you would recommend or all things considered, would you just leave it stock? (All things like: cost.)

Are you running downpipes? Can the obd2 be killed with Velos?

Thanks in advance man and sorry for having to be an efftard. It happens. :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 06:55 AM   #22
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did the switch to Velos make a huge difference? Obviously like you said, no dip in the midrange, but overall is it something you would recommend or all things considered, would you just leave it stock? (All things like: cost.)

Are you running downpipes? Can the obd2 be killed with Velos?

Thanks in advance man and sorry for having to be an efftard. It happens. :-)
No worries man, same here. I'm knee deep in repair cost (out of warranty) so I know exactly how you feel. This thing is NOT standing the test of time from an engineering longevity standpoint.

The flash did help smooth out the power delivery and it sped up gear shifts (don't ask me how, but it did - dare I say - drastically) BUT, not sure I'd say the difference was huge in power between the two, to be honest (again, I had the Stage 1 piggy so that's my base of reference - so it's possible that you may even feel a drop in power moving from the JB4). However, over stock, it's night and day and helped to alleviate the sheer safety concern I had (pushing 3 extra pounds of boost vs. adjusting all the necessary parameters that should come with extra boost). Install is a breeze as well.

Would I recommend it? Yeah, it was worth it to me. I got used to the extra power and going back to stock wasn't an option. I'd say get it but only if you can get it on sale (I would never pay what they ask for MSRP). Sometimes they run sales that make it worth it (you can usually get ~40% off the advertised price). If you can flip your JB4 on the for sale forum your delta would be minimal. I've been doing a lot of research on the F10 M5 forum and they stack the JB4 with a BEF, so if you ever plan on making crazy power and want to run meth, you may consider keeping your JB4, so keep that in mind.

I'm running stock DPs at the moment but have been trying to get another set of stock ones to gut them. I went with Stage 2+ so that I can just put the catless DPs in there and not have to worry about the O2 sensors going nuts and CEL (I'm assuming this is what you meant by ODB2?). If so, yes it can but you have to specify that you want that.

My current mods are Velos Stage 2+, RK Intakes, Custom Axle-back muffler...after I get some gutted DPs in I'll be done...hopefully by then the F85 will be reasonably priced.

Sorry for going into so much detail but I've asked questions and gotten some vague answers before so I want to be sure I touched on everything. Let me know if you have any other questions!
Appreciate 0