XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-23-2011, 10:23 AM   #1
5fix
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i; 2018 m550i

Help! X5 electrical meltdown

Three weeks ago while driving my X5 35d down the road the wipers started and would not turn off, the speedometer went to zero, the fuel efficiency gauge went to max., I received alternating warning messages related to the a stability control failure and passenger air bag malfunction, and the turn signals would not self cancel. The dealership had reprogrammed the system in the prior week for a problem with the trailer hitch wiring (which I have been told is supposed to enhance the stability control system).

The dealership identified a faulty stability control module and none were available in the US so we waited three weeks for one from Germany while the X5 sat at the dealership. It came today but now the battery is dead and it will not start with a jump. The dealership will have to wait until next week to talk to a BMW technical rep.

Anyone have a similar problem and know how to resolve?

The SA has done a great job of communicating and the dealership gave us an X5 loaner, so no complaints there, just want to get this fixed. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 12:37 AM   #2
M5007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition Package

That's how some of the stories I read started about X5's catching on fire.

Good luck with the repairs.
      01-19-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
dreamerx5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x5 (LEMON)

I got the same error message a week ago:

1. Transmission Malfunction
2. Restraint System Malfunction
3. Brake/Chasis Stablility Malfuntion.

Got the car back from dealership on Monday. they said battery was dreained due to "Violation due to Customer Behavior". Drove the car 2 hours a day since getting the car back for over 40 miles a day in traffic and guess what??? It's back at the dealership this morning with same error.

Car catches on Fire???? I luv it!~
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 02:05 PM   #4
dreamerx5
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5fix View Post
Three weeks ago while driving my X5 35d down the road the wipers started and would not turn off, the speedometer went to zero, the fuel efficiency gauge went to max., I received alternating warning messages related to the a stability control failure and passenger air bag malfunction, and the turn signals would not self cancel. The dealership had reprogrammed the system in the prior week for a problem with the trailer hitch wiring (which I have been told is supposed to enhance the stability control system).

The dealership identified a faulty stability control module and none were available in the US so we waited three weeks for one from Germany while the X5 sat at the dealership. It came today but now the battery is dead and it will not start with a jump. The dealership will have to wait until next week to talk to a BMW technical rep.

Anyone have a similar problem and know how to resolve?

The SA has done a great job of communicating and the dealership gave us an X5 loaner, so no complaints there, just want to get this fixed. Thanks!
I'm assuming that the problem was fixed. What did they tell you the issue was and how did they resolve it?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 10:11 PM   #5
drod
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i

on fire!!!

my God! and i'm trying to convince my wife to swap out her trusty CRV for a bimmer!!!
      01-25-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
dreamerx5
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamerx5 View Post
I'm assuming that the problem was fixed. What did they tell you the issue was and how did they resolve it?
Car still in the shop. Has been 5 business days. No word from Dealership on the problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #7
5fix
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i; 2018 m550i

Never able to resolve the problem and get it running. BMW and my dealership were very helpful and reasonable throughout the process and replaced it with a 2012 with very fair trade assistance toward purchase price. Have the new X5d today with all the options we wanted. Had a loaner the entire time, I am very satified.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 03:37 PM   #8
dreamerx5
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamerx5 View Post
Car still in the shop. Has been 5 business days. No word from Dealership on the problem.
10 business days and no car.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 08:06 AM   #9
cmk227
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Goal: Another ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by drod
on fire!!!

my God! and i'm trying to convince my wife to swap out her trusty CRV for a bimmer!!!
Never had any problem on any bimmer I have owned. You be alright.

14 Lexus GX460 & 14 Lexus ES300H
14 BMW 528d Touring Estate - UK
Previous M's: 11 BMW M3 JZB ZCP 6MT, 02 BMW M3 Conv 6MT & 02 BMW M3 Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0