XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-30-2012, 01:27 PM   #1
Andrey
Average Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i, Gone 2011 BMW 550i,

Question Want to buy ~2006 X5 4.8is!!! Need help from experts and owners!!

Hi, I have always wanted to get an X5, but not just any X5, the top of the line one and so i did a little bit of research and found out that 2005-2006 X5 4.8is is by far more superior. I like E53 body, and it fits my wallet too if you know what i mean.
So I decided to create this thread to ask you guys what to look for, what to watch out for, big "No nos" what to expect.
I had Bimmers for about 7 years now, and still have 2001 525i manual which is a fantastic car, but now i want to get something bigger.
Any comment, and advise will be greatly appreciated !!!
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
m5biemer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 911 targa, 911tt, x5m, x3mc

Owned a 2005 for 6 years--great until warranty expired, then we had a complete a/c system repair and the 2 front air shocks replaced. We took very good care of it, regular service and all maintenance, stupid for not getting the extended warranty. Vowed to never own another bimmer again after owning about 10 over the past 15 years. Replaced with a Jeep Grand Cherokee and couldn't be happier.

Purchase an extended warranty if you buy one!!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 07:49 PM   #3
crooked I
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M

just make sure you get a pre purchase inspection done, unless its a BMW CPO then its already done for you and should come with warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5biemer View Post
Owned a 2005 for 6 years--great until warranty expired, then we had a complete a/c system repair and the 2 front air shocks replaced. We took very good care of it, regular service and all maintenance, stupid for not getting the extended warranty. Vowed to never own another bimmer again after owning about 10 over the past 15 years. Replaced with a Jeep Grand Cherokee and couldn't be happier.

Purchase an extended warranty if you buy one!!
your audi will be the same when it's warranty is over. just sayin'
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
Andrey
Average Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i, Gone 2011 BMW 550i,

Sounds like there are a lot of issues that need warranty to cover them, good to know!!
Anything positive or inspiring, any special versions out there? special trims?
any upgrades that i should plan for, or any common issues ?
BTW, how is the transmissions in these X5s my 525i went through 2 auto transmissions and now accepted manual gearbox in it, but how are those gearboxes on x5 4.8is?
Anybody with tons of miles with original trany?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #5
m5biemer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 911 targa, 911tt, x5m, x3mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by crooked I View Post
just make sure you get a pre purchase inspection done, unless its a BMW CPO then its already done for you and should come with warranty.

your audi will be the same when it's warranty is over. just sayin'
That's why I purchased an extended warranty for it, didn't want to get caught again, plus should help resale value. Funny thing is our BMW stealership actually talked us out of the extended warranty for the X5, based on its "remarkable" lack of issues for the first 4 years.
Appreciate 0