XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

View Poll Results: Keep or Sell?
Cut the carbon diffuser at the bottom as needed and keep it. 0 0%
Don't bother, it won't look right. Remove it so you can use the hitch. 6 100.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

08-02-2017, 03:42 PM   #1
deansbimmer
Mporium BMW
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Need help deciding about keeping or selling Carbon Diffuser

I recently installed an Execuhitch (invisihitch) on our 2011 X5M, but have not been able to use it because it will interfere with the installed carbon fiber diffuser which hangs too low. I would have to cut flush the middle "fin" from the diffuser so that the ball mount can be inserted upward into the receiver.

I really have a love hate thing going on right now with carbon fiber. I love the look if you can find a piece that fits worth a damn, but cringe at the thought of damaging it on a car that gets used frequently for utilitarian purposes.

Should I cut/modify the carbon diffuser and trust that nothing damages it during trailer/kid use, or should I remove the diffuser and go bare.

[/URL]
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 12:01 PM   #2
greddy91
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Selfishly, I will advise you to get rid of it at an extreme discount to me rather than risking a janky looking cut in the surface of that tremendously ugly carbon fiber diffuser that looks terrible on your vehicle.

In all seriousness though; take extreme care when penetrating carbon fiber. Always cut off less than you need to for the hole and then file the remainder for the precision you need. Cutting into it often ends with splintering.

Cheers if you go through with it, and PM me if you yank it and decide to turn this giant ugly piece of carbon fiber that no one will possibly want except me which means you'll sell for a fraction of the original cost because "UGLY".
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 03:12 PM   #3
SyL3nTFoRcE
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

if you use the hitch the carbon diffuser wont really be in sight. You should get rid of it or keep it in your garage until you want to put it back on and keep the stock diffuser. I would say cut it but the odds of you causing more damage to the cf is a bit high. if its a look you like and your ok with the potential outcome if you cut the diffuser and it gets messed up id say go for it. I would probably end up keeping the hitch and selling(keeping around for future use) the diffuser, since the hitch may be used alot more than i would care about the cf
Appreciate 0