XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-02-2011, 05:05 PM   #1
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

2012 M Sport with a few mods and pics and complete write up

After a lot of reading on these forums I learned a lot of valuable info that helped me in my decision on what SAV to purchase. To cover the paint chip issues with the M and the M sport, I went with the Venture Shield Ultra full nose kit. It's 8 mils thick and is so smooth you really have to stare to see it and the light has to be just so. From what I've read its one of the best as far as yellowing is concerned and has no orange peel at all, plus a lifetime warranty. For the sides and flares i went with the 3M scotchguard 12 mil 3rd generation film. Very thick and durable, hardly any orange peel. Since its on the sides it really looks as smooth as the hood and nose. I had the full wheel flares done, from the door guard strip down on the entire side, the full rear quarter panel behind the tires the rocker panels and I had him roll the film up to the black strip on the step plate to protect that little strip that the black strip doesn't cover. He went 1/4 inch onto the black cause he said he wanted to make sure that it stayed stuck down. So that area of the black is shiny. It kinda bothers me cause I know it's there, but most people probably wouldn't notice it. I can always cut that area over the black off. Took the guy 10 hours to complete at a tune of $1,400. For tint I went with LLumar. 15% on the front doors and 30% over the factory tint in the rear. I think it looks matched all the way around now. I took the bridgestone dueler run flats off and sold to the parts dept since I ordered it with the spare tire kit. I installed the Toyo Proxes ST II tire. Traction and cornering are excellent on dry and in the rain. Driving 80 on a concrete interstate they are whisper quiet. I'm really impressed with them. My 335 has Michelin PS2's so thats what i'm comparing these Toyo's against. I went with an all-season due to the 7-10 days of bad weather we get in the south. So I'll give an update on how they handle winter weather. Next comes the coding and Burger tune. Here's some pics, give me your thoughts...

Last edited by skalberti; 09-02-2011 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: typo's
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 12:53 AM   #2
docpowell
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6 M60i, X3 30i, X5 35d, 335d

Nice. Very clean. Any problems going to come from the 15% up front. (with cops?) Is the tint ceramic?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 08:47 AM   #3
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by docpowell View Post
Nice. Very clean. Any problems going to come from the 15% up front. (with cops?) Is the tint ceramic?

Thanks! No problems with the cops. I've been running 15% on my 335 for almost 4 years and even being stopped for speeding, nothing was ever said about the tint. The tint is Llumar's CTX line. It's metallic or dyed. I'm guessing its somewhat ceramic. It's what they call ceramatrix. Its aspect to glare, heat rejection and UV, its just as good as the metallic, but it doesn't hinder your comfort access, radio or bluetooth signal like the metallic.
      09-10-2011, 05:26 AM   #4
almuhairi
E70 LCI X5
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: Lci E70 50i 2011 White alpine

looks wo0ow

i've q?

how much does the M Sport package COST ?
can i buy it seperately pm me plz or email me ( ua3.uk@hotmail.com )
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 04:42 PM   #5
Paul12'X5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 Alpine Wht

Well done, get mine next week with same set up.
Appreciate 0