XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

07-08-2010, 06:35 PM   #1
zaha
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw X6M

Post Finally got my mirror fixed.

For the last few months the left mirror on my '10 X6M has been randomly moving positions. Sometimes it would point completely to the sky, sometimes to the ground. This would happen when I would fold my mirrors, or when I would turn the car off and come back, or even when driving. I let it happen for a few months to make sure that I was not crazy and that this was a legit problem. I also noticed a very very thin brown line down the mirror as if it were a crack. However if I ran my fingernail across I could not feel the glass to be broken.

I brought my car in last week and was told that the heated mirror mechanism overheated and that the right mirror motor was causing my left one to fail. After enjoying my awesome Dodge Charger loaner car (it reminded me that I am lucky to have a car that doesn't suck on a daily basis) I came back to get my car with a new mirror installed. I was told that I have to come back to replace the right one as well because they are now made to look different. The new mirrors now don't have that small border around the glass and I think that makes them slightly better looking. Best part of the story, to replace ONLY the glass piece in the mirror, not the motor, not the cover, cost $830 (under warranty). Going in next week to get the other one changed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 06:56 PM   #2
x5lover7777
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 x5m

does edge of glass dimming too?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 11:52 PM   #3
LANDLORD
Turbo Engines are Fun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6M Monte Carlo Blue

Wow, I hope that doesn't happen to my car because after looking at the two styles of mirror's, I prefer the black border such as are on your right hand mirror. This is the style that I have also.

Thanks for the photos and information.
Appreciate 0