E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Botched up OHFG and Valve cover assembly job: 02-16-2004

Botched up OHFG and Valve cover assembly job
Calendar: USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA
samfanton
Registered

Hello All,

Sorry for the long explanation and I am seeking your expert advise.

I have been going to this BMW dealer for last 10 years. This time, I went to replace my brakes, and technician suggested to replace Valve Cover Assembly with gaskets and OFHG as dirt collecting up at base. Even though I did not notice any burning smell or performance change in vehicle, decided to go with the service rep suggestions. After the job was completed, within a week (approx 300 miles driven), car stalled on a busy interstate. Gear shift went to neutral and didn't respond. I managed to pull vehichle to the side of the road. After engine is turned off, gear shift went into Park. I tried starting the engine again, no cranks but noticed a series of messages flashing in the dashboard, indicating chassis stabilisation, manual ignition, engine check and etc. I barely remember the entire series of messages as I was in shock and panicking on highway. I found myself lucky enough to be unharmed with heavy traffic and rain.

I got the vehicle towed to the dealer who ever serviced at my cost. I was told the battery was old, didn't have enough voltage to dash computer, and caused the vehicle to stall. I confirmed multiple times with the service center if they did a thorough investigation of the issue and they convinced me that it was battery.

Picked up the car and drove 5 miles to home and next day morning, after driving 3 miles, car started making rattling noise, and did not accelerate. I did not see any messages flashing in the dash. At this point vehicle is not drivable due lack of power and the rattling sound and jerky movements. Stopped by dealer and gave the keys asking them to tow the vehicle to shop. I took a video of the engine noise and showed the same to rep and explained that the car is not in drivable condition. Inspite of my warnings, they drove 2 miles to the service center and gave me the news that "Engine was toasted and requires new one". Their claim was engine was over heated and made the piston bearings go bad. I did not see any indication of the over heating in the guages. I am thinking it might be because of "Intermix / Milkshake" coolant mixed with engine oil.

I want to ask experts here about your opinion on this issue and how to tackle the situation. Absolutely no issues with car even though it had more than 100k miles on it. Runs so smooth and have very good pick up. Spent almost $5K for all these repairs in one week and toasted the vehichle.

I understand as humans we all do mistakes, but greatness comes in accepting the wrong doing. I greately appreciate any feedback on this issue.

https://youtube.com/shorts/FiVaTZTeDiQ

Thank you
Sam
RSVP sign-ups for this event are now closed.