XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-14-2017, 09:29 AM   #111
gsnake
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by E70'11 View Post
Okay so here's the final look of the head unit itself, I still have the plastic on the screen so don't mind that. I haven't had a chance to truly mess with the unit just yet because I was tired after work so installing this was the goal ONLY.

So far it starts up relatively quick, OEM BT is what I'm utilizing, GPS splitter works great so no issues there, sound quality plays just fine and the XM radio works as shown in the top right corner. The ONLY issue I'm having is my backup camera isn't displaying live feed but sensors work. So maybe after I get some help or figure it out by going through some settings it'll be legit

Overall it looks pretty awesome and quality is grade A
looks great! Do you have CIC unit? did you connect the aux cable to the center console to get the sound from android?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 09:46 AM   #112
E70'11
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: || E70 35i | R32 GTR ||

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsnake View Post
looks great! Do you have CIC unit? did you connect the aux cable to the center console to get the sound from android?
CIC unit and actually no I swapped out this bit I saw on YouTube from the OEM connector to the Avin connector. Sound wise is still from the car itself not the head unit so I'll test that out today. I heard when you swap that connection from the OEM connector to the Avin one that's all you need. Yet I've also heard you need to utilize the AUX cord so we shall see

2010 E90 335i 1M FBO MHD Tune (SOLD)
2009 E92 335i FBO JB4 G5 ISO (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 10:48 AM   #113
gsnake
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
CIC unit and actually no I swapped out this bit I saw on YouTube from the OEM connector to the Avin connector. Sound wise is still from the car itself not the head unit so I'll test that out today. I heard when you swap that connection from the OEM connector to the Avin one that's all you need. Yet I've also heard you need to utilize the AUX cord so we shall see
great, thanks - please let us know how it goes!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 11:12 AM   #114
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
u must swap optical cables from OEM to Avin connectors but this has nothing to do with AUX, I hope u'll get sounds without the AUX connected as its much less headache!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 01:22 PM   #115
E70'11
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneca View Post
u must swap optical cables from OEM to Avin connectors but this has nothing to do with AUX, I hope u'll get sounds without the AUX connected as its much less headache!
Yeah I swapped out the optical cable that was the word I was looking for lol I'm rolling on a few hours of sleep. Thanks for the backup camera solution, solved that issue easily. I want to change the car dash through AVIN to say MPH not KW

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 01:38 PM   #116
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Thanks for the backup camera solution, solved that issue easily.
u welcome, I'm glad it worked out for

Quote:
I want to change the car dash through AVIN to say MPH not KW
yes me too, as of latest November's update this hasn't been done yet!
most of their customers up until recent couple of months were in Europe/Asia so that wasn't something high in their to do list. They know about this request so hopefully we'll see an update soon where this gonna be taking care of!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 01:40 PM   #117
E70'11
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneca View Post
u welcome, I'm glad it worked out for

yes me too, as of latest November's update this hasn't been done yet!
most of their customers up until recent couple of months were in Europe/Asia so that wasn't something high in their to do list. They know about this request so hopefully we'll see an update soon where this gonna be taking care of!
Yeah that'll be nice when that does come to play, it would be ideal for my R32 GT-R but yeah ha

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 06:54 PM   #118
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Got mine in today as well, I'll upload pics and routing tips after work. Works awesome, only a few issues:

1) Holding Menu, turn the knob clockwise and it'll go counterclockwise once before going clockwise or vice versa
2) Mirror link works fine until I move the image via my phone or via the screen itself, I'll get an error saying it's disconnecting but it doesn't. I'm hoping it's just the cord I'm using. I've routed both USB's to the glovebox but I think I'm gonna reroute USB1 to the center console and use it as my primary charger and get a simple USB to MicroUSB adapter to eliminate another corded connection in hopes it'll make a quicker reaction/less delay on the screen vs the phone to finger/screen movement.
3) Bluetooth through the deck paired to my phone works fine to control Pandora, but sometimes the music will skip or stop playing completely if I leave the Bluetooth Music screen to ANY screen at all.
4) Clock keeps going back to military time after each restart.

Other than that, I'm loving this crisp, huge screen :-)

Last edited by m5james; 12-14-2017 at 11:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 08:03 AM   #119
E70'11
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
Got mine in today as well, I'll upload pics and routing tips after work. Works awesome, only a few issues:

1) Holding Menu, turn the knob clockwise and it'll go counterclockwise once before going clockwise or vice versa
2) Mirror link works fine until I move the image via my phone or via the screen itself, I'll get an error saying it's disconnecting but it doesn't. I'm hoping it's just the cord I'm using. I've routed both USB's to the glovebox but I think I'm gonna reroute USB1 to the center console and use it as my primary charger and get a simple USB to MicroUSB adapter to eliminate another corded connection in hopes it'll make a quicker reaction/less delay on the screen vs the phone to finger/screen movement.
3) Bluetooth through the deck paired to my phone works fine to control Pandora, but sometimes the music will skip or stop playing completely if I leave the Bluetooth Music screen to ANY screen at all.
4) Clock keeps going back to military time after each restart.

Other than that, I'm loving this crisp, huge screen :-)
+1 on the clock wise or vise versa with the knob

As far as the clock make sure your setting is on the original car. I don't have that issue with a time setting being restarted each time. So hopefully that helps you out in that aspect

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 08:48 AM   #120
Lunker325
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M / 991.2 C4S

Great thread, thanks to all for sharing info on this unit, and eventually removing money from my savings account! I had no idea this existed until now, very cool.
      12-15-2017, 09:02 AM   #121
E70'11
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunker325 View Post
Great thread, thanks to all for sharing info on this unit, and eventually removing money from my savings account! I had no idea this existed until now, very cool.

Well at least you know we'll save you money on the forum for any questions regarding the unit/features if it helps any

Appreciate 1
      12-15-2017, 10:52 PM   #122
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quick note for Android users, download an app called AutoTether to your phone. I was going to download an app that turned on my hotspot anytime my phone was plugged into power, but I do that at home, work and while driving...not optimal. Instead this app sees you connect to Bluetooth devices of your choosing (mine are called BMW X5M Phone and BMW X5M Tablet) and then it'll turn on your hotspot automatically. Within seconds I'm Bluetooth'd and tether'd to the new stereo...Pandora playing from my phone (easier to use) while I can see Waze (downloaded onto the tablet itself) full screen on my dash...win win!

I'd like to see if we can run MultiWindow somehow on these screens so we can run any two apps at once, in this instance Waze and Showbox at the same time would be awesome!!

PS - you can drag down the top of the screen like a notifications bar but it'll only be shortcuts to other options
PSS - if you change to different version in the setup menu (password 1314) to something other than BMW NBT EVO New to say a different BMW screen, your task bar will show notifications, the UI will look more like CIC in that it scrolls up and down words vs left to right icons, etc...play around :-)
Attached Images

Last edited by m5james; 12-15-2017 at 11:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 07:18 PM   #123
Gatoferoz25
BeastM3r
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 COMP

Quote:
Quick note for Android users, download an app called AutoTether to your phone. I was going to download an app that turned on my hotspot anytime my phone was plugged into power, but I do that at home, work and while driving...not optimal. Instead this app sees you connect to Bluetooth devices of your choosing (mine are called BMW X5M Phone and BMW X5M Tablet) and then it'll turn on your hotspot automatically. Within seconds I'm Bluetooth'd and tether'd to the new stereo...Pandora playing from my phone (easier to use) while I can see Waze (downloaded onto the tablet itself) full screen on my dash...win win!

I'd like to see if we can run MultiWindow somehow on these screens so we can run any two apps at once, in this instance Waze and Showbox at the same time would be awesome!!

PS - you can drag down the top of the screen like a notifications bar but it'll only be shortcuts to other options
PSS - if you change to different version in the setup menu (password 1314) to something other than BMW NBT EVO New to say a different BMW screen, your task bar will show notifications, the UI will look more like CIC in that it scrolls up and down words vs left to right icons, etc...play around :-)
Can we play you tube videos as well ?
      12-16-2017, 07:21 PM   #124
Sketro
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E70 2013 35i

AvinUsa GPS

Hi
Can someone explain if or why the Avin unit doesn't use my car's GPS aerial for Navigation ?
I've basically got the original purple plug attached (sharkfin aerial) and navi doesn't work.
Then tried the Avin supplied GPS in addition, Navi doesn't work.

Navi wants location turned on. I can't find the setting and on the unit under location, when you select share realtime location, it doesn't save.

Anyone have some suggestions ?

thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 08:33 PM   #125
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoferoz25 View Post
Can we play you tube videos as well ?
Yes it can. I've learned a trick on my phone by using Firefox and you can still play YouTube with the screen off or in this case you can still do other things on the screen if you're only wanting to listen.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 08:37 PM   #126
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketro View Post
Hi
Can someone explain if or why the Avin unit doesn't use my car's GPS aerial for Navigation ?
I've basically got the original purple plug attached (sharkfin aerial) and navi doesn't work.

Navi wants location turned on. I can't find the setting and on the unit under location, when you select share realtime location, it doesn't save.

thanks.
The AVIN unit can use your stock GPS antenna if you get the splitter through them. Mine also came with an aftermarket antenna but I've been told the stock antenna is better.

What part of Seattle are you in, maybe I can help in person, otherwise I'm not sure why you're not getting signal as I've had no issues with mine and it workwd right outta the box.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2017, 12:53 AM   #127
Sketro
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E70 2013 35i

Quote:
The AVIN unit can use your stock GPS antenna if you get the splitter through them. Mine also came with an aftermarket antenna but I've been told the stock antenna is better.

What part of Seattle are you in, maybe I can help in person, otherwise I'm not sure why you're not getting signal as I've had no issues with mine and it workwd right outta the box.
I'm in the Kirkland area could come through to Marysville - what do you mean with splitter - so one needs to have both blue and purple connections from a single cable ?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2017, 01:22 AM   #128
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I was in Bothell and Woodinville all day today, too :-) I'll be back in Bothell/Kirkland area off the 160th exit if you're free around 3:30pm.

The GPS splitter is something that AVIN supplied but I haven't looked online elsewhere for it since I got two for free. If you have this, one ends connects to the blue connector, which then splits to the hard drive unit and the other to behind the screen itself.

https://avinusa.com/gps-splitter-cable.html
Attached Images

Last edited by m5james; 12-17-2017 at 01:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2017, 11:55 PM   #129
gsnake
Private First Class
Rep

new hardware model

I asked this question to AVINUSA and they told me that - yes, next year there probably be a new model of their unit - more expensive too. Of course they would not say when it will be available. Maybe it is best to stick to the current one - I am sure the new one will have many issues when it comes out
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 12:33 AM   #130
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

There's always going to be a newer model, but this is Android...it's nothing but a software upgrade away from being better. I'm trying to get my hands on a stock ROM before I share it with a buddy on XDA Developers and rooting the device to customize it more.

The UI that comes with it fresh outta the box has restrictions (Android and AVIN since we need a password for Developers Options), along with 4.4.4 being an older version with less capabilities (clocking speed, individual app permissions, simple features like a brightness slider via the outfits pulldown notifications, etc), all of which can be solved via rooting, custom baked ROM and kernel.

Like I said before, with knowing what people have paid for backup camera and mirroring to a full NBT swap, this is still a great deal in it's current state.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 08:40 AM   #131
E70'11
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketro View Post
Hi

thanks.
Quote:

+1 on the GPS splitter which I utilize for both the OEM and Avin navigation set up. It works honestly pretty great, I am using my Avin navigation more than the OEM style ironically

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsnake View Post
I asked this question to AVINUSA and they told me that - yes, next year there probably be a new model of their unit - more expensive too. Of course they would not say when it will be available. Maybe it is best to stick to the current one - I am sure the new one will have many issues when it comes out
Quote:
There's always going to be a newer model, but this is Android...it's nothing but a software upgrade away from being better. I'm trying to get my hands on a stock ROM before I share it with a buddy on XDA Developers and rooting the device to customize it more.

The UI that comes with it fresh outta the box has restrictions (Android and AVIN since we need a password for Developers Options), along with 4.4.4 being an older version with less capabilities (clocking speed, individual app permissions, simple features like a brightness slider via the outfits pulldown notifications, etc), all of which can be solved via rooting, custom baked ROM and kernel.

Like I said before, with knowing what people have paid for backup camera and mirroring to a full NBT swap, this is still a great deal in it's current state.
+1 on the current unit with Avinusa, as said there will be new units with everything. That's how the marketing world works with its consumers but fortunately enough we can simply update our system easily. If anything was honestly new from these products, there's ALWAYS a trail and error phase. Wait a few months down the road to get the NEWEST one out or simply get what's out now. Upgrade the software and you're still spending WAY less than any $2K system out there

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 09:32 AM   #132
gsnake
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

I agree with you although messing up with the device could be challenging. A friend of mine had issues when he rooted his NAV unit. Yes, it is android and hopefully when the new hardware version comes out they would not stop making updates to the current unit. The worst case we can always upgrade again
Hey, maybe this would now be 12" screen
Appreciate 0