XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-23-2017, 02:05 AM   #1
14.4volts
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M, 2006 X5, '96 M3

2012 X5M new owner questions.

Hello all, second post of the evening and second post ever.
I've been lurking on these forums and others the last couple weeks trying to read up on as much X5M things as possible, out of all the forums it seems that the most X5M post are here.

So thanks for having me.

1st question is (I've been finding to many conflicting answers)
BMW assist.
I am probably one of the rare ones who actually wants it.
Has anyone paid for or gotten the replacment after purchasing their car with a pre expired contract after the cutoff? How much was it?
I see some posts say its available to buy and others say it's not, frankly I saw lots of arguing and jibberish and $100 visas stories.
I know the new module has to be coded, anyone know entirely what's involved.
I've got INPA, Tools, winkfp, ista/p and d, I assume though that the new module has to be coded to the vin and added to the data base for bmw assist to work which I probably couldn't do myself.. just curious as to the procedures.

2nd question is my car has 52,000 miles on it now, I know plugs soon and probably checking certain plastics.. any thing I should be looking for besides the normal items?
Mine has had the drive shaft and injectors done, also from what I pulled from the dealer a couple plugs and 2 coilpacks.

3rd question is and recommended mods for longevity?
I've got accounts at my local dealer, what parts should I have on standby?
I know the vacuum lines to the turbos are one, any other side of the road parts?

Had the car a couple weeks, already replaced all the bulk head plastics, put all new DWS on it for the winter.
I replaced the halo bulbs with the weisslicht LED
I've bought a spare key
Just got an interior LED upgrade kit I'll get to in the next couple days.
going to start coding options in, wish I could code the comfort access portion of the key in. I'll have the dealer do it while they are doing the airbags.
I bought one of those tow hook license plate holders, not sure it'll work as it seems close to the parking sensor. I bought another one that mounts on the lower lip that might work better.. I am not mounting a plate in the middle of that bumper it's never had one there and never will.
I've got weather techs coming.
Fluids are all fresh and I've already run about 6 tanks of gas through this thirsty MF.

I'll be doing a tune in the next couple months, leaning hard towards active.
Haven't decided on the catless down pipes.. anyone gone through emissions with them? I want to put a couple thousand miles on it before I do any engine mods to feel good about it.

Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 08:18 AM   #2
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M, Z3M

Congrats on your X5M. I've had mine for a few months now and have been replacing fluids and other items. While doing the plugs I suggest replacing the coils at the same time. If you're looking for longevity, as myself, heat is the enemy. Try to find ways to contain the heat...heat shields, turbo blankets, hose sleeves, etc... Emissions and performance don't really go together so I suggest having an oil catch can.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 10:54 AM   #3
14.4volts
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M, 2006 X5, '96 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly42 View Post
Congrats on your X5M. I've had mine for a few months now and have been replacing fluids and other items. While doing the plugs I suggest replacing the coils at the same time. If you're looking for longevity, as myself, heat is the enemy. Try to find ways to contain the heat...heat shields, turbo blankets, hose sleeves, etc... Emissions and performance don't really go together so I suggest having an oil catch can.
Yeah the heat! I've been studying that a bit.
Haven't done much in the way of scheming on how or where I'll start, read some treads on blankets etc. next time I pull of the cover I'll start taking some notes and see what I can build.
I saw your comments on the catch can thread, wondering how hard it would be to modifying part of the system from a 63tu...
I really don't want to remember to empty my catch can every month 😩

I am a little bummed that the PO didn't replace all the coil packs when at the dealer, more bummed that the dealer only replaced the plugs for the coil packs that were replaced. Not sure what logic was behind that, I do know that all the plugs were replaced at 32,000 miles. As far as BMW recommended replacment that would mean I have about 10,000 miles left on them.
Appreciate 0