XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-09-2018, 07:27 AM   #1
bmwstve
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X6, MHD Stage 2

For those who are using spacers, what do you guys think of this?

Installed H&R Wheel Spacers #4075725 20mm rear, several months ago, followed all instructions for installation, prepping of surfaces, removing rust, torque wrench etc..

Removed them today for regular inspection

noticed on the Rear Passenger Side that there is a visible line that goes AROUND the spacer (inner side), full circle

The line is not deep but can be felt with fingernails.

I checked all wheels
both front wheels don't have this line
on the Rear Driver Side, there is also a line but it does not go around the whole inner side of the spacer.

When installed on the car, the Hubcentric ring of the car GOES OVER the line on the spacer, the line can only be seen when spacer is removed.

I'm concerned, is the line a crack or maybe a weak spot?
Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2018, 08:02 AM   #2
protecon
*May contain nuts
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M MCB

Spacers are, and always have been, completely ridiculous and dangerous.

If you can't afford/find wheels in the correct offset, don't put them on.
      06-09-2018, 05:43 PM   #3
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by protecon View Post
Spacers are, and always have been, completely ridiculous and dangerous.

If you can't afford/find wheels in the correct offset, don't put them on.
Dude I've ran spacers on every car I've owned. I've tracked cars with spacers, I've driven thousands and thousands of miles with out any problems. That said, 20mm is way too big, and I agree with you could cause problems.

If you're gonna run them, just be conservative in size, make sure they're good quality, and make sure to torque to spec. You'll be fine.
      06-10-2018, 04:33 AM   #4
bmwstve
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVazha View Post
Dude I've ran spacers on every car I've owned. I've tracked cars with spacers, I've driven thousands and thousands of miles with out any problems. That said, 20mm is way too big, and I agree with you could cause problems.

If you're gonna run them, just be conservative in size, make sure they're good quality, and make sure to torque to spec. You'll be fine.

the line on the inner side of the spacer seems to be a scratch, but its perfectly straight and circle
im not sure whats causing it.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2018, 01:57 PM   #5
TheVazha
Major
Rep

Clean it off really well, use a scotch pad and just clean off all the oil and have a look. It might have been a shard of metal from the hub that scratched it when you were putting it on to line up the holes, or who knows what else.

Does the spacer sit flush with the hub? Did you buy the spacers new or used? If used, the person before you could have been running them improperly. Do both side have the problem?
      06-10-2018, 04:05 PM   #6
95wildtt
Need mo $$s
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M Competition

Quote:
Dude I've ran spacers on every car I've owned. I've tracked cars with spacers, I've driven thousands and thousands of miles with out any problems.
Agree 100%...
Past: 2020 X3M, 2019 TTS, 2008 X5 4.8 M Sport
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2018, 10:54 PM   #7
bmwstve
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Clean it off really well, use a scotch pad and just clean off all the oil and have a look. It might have been a shard of metal from the hub that scratched it when you were putting it on to line up the holes, or who knows what else.

Does the spacer sit flush with the hub? Did you buy the spacers new or used? If used, the person before you could have been running them improperly. Do both side have the problem?
Thanks for the reply
the line itself is vey shallow, can be felt using fingernails on some areas. but on some, its flat

Yes its new ordered it online, and sits flush on the surface.

I'm just wondering why the line is perfectly circle and even. might be caused by the car's hubcentric ring BUT, when installed on the car, the hubcentric ring goes OVER the line. you cannot see the line when it is installed. it is covered by the hubcentric ring of the car.

During installation several months ago
I tried my best to remove the existing rust from the hub, also applied grease on the spacer face, on the hubcentric ring, to avoid them from sticking, this is why the spacer is oily.

1. The spacer in question is the Rear PASSENGER SIDE

2. I noticed, on the Rear DRIVER side the spacer seems to be a little bit tighter compared to the passenger side. ( minimal difference. my front left, front right and Rear Passenger side has the same tightness)

3. this was my 2nd time inspecting, on the 1st time (which was 4 months ago), i did not see the line.

4. around 3 - 4 weeks ago, i felt that my Rear Passenger Side tire was not balanced, wiggle at approx 60mph, because the wheel weights fell off. I'm sure that the unbalanced wheel is caused by the wheel weights falling off. Because after balancing the other day the wiggle went away

5. I just had it balanced the other day and at the same time also checked the spacers. This was when I saw the line

also checked others, both fronts don't have the line, on the Rear Driver side (the tighter side), there is also a similar line but it is not a continuous line around the whole inner circle.

6. I test drove the car (with all the spacers on) after balancing the wheels. Wiggle went away.

Could the line on the spacer be caused by the wiggle of the unbalanced wheel?

Because i didn't have time to have it balanced immediately, and still used the car for about 3-4 weeks with unbalanced rear passenger tire.

(I always have my wheels torqued to 105 ft/lbs all the time)
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2018, 11:01 PM   #8
TheVazha
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwstve View Post
Quote:

Thanks for the reply
the line itself is vey shallow, can be felt using fingernails on some areas. but on some, its flat

Yes its new ordered it online, and sits flush on the surface.

I'm just wondering why the line is perfectly circle and even. might be caused by the car's hubcentric ring BUT, when installed on the car, the hubcentric ring goes OVER the line. you cannot see the line when it is installed. it is covered by the hubcentric ring of the car.

During installation several months ago
I tried my best to remove the existing rust from the hub, also applied grease on the spacer face, on the hubcentric ring, to avoid them from sticking, this is why the spacer is oily.

1. The spacer in question is the Rear PASSENGER SIDE

2. I noticed, on the Rear DRIVER side the spacer seems to be a little bit tighter compared to the passenger side. ( minimal difference. my front left, front right and Rear Passenger side has the same tightness)

3. this was my 2nd time inspecting, on the 1st time (which was 4 months ago), i did not see the line.

4. around 3 - 4 weeks ago, i felt that my Rear Passenger Side tire was not balanced, wiggle at approx 60mph, because the wheel weights fell off. I'm sure that the unbalanced wheel is caused by the wheel weights falling off. Because after balancing the other day the wiggle went away

5. I just had it balanced the other day and at the same time also checked the spacers. This was when I saw the line

also checked others, both fronts don't have the line, on the Rear Driver side (the tighter side), there is also a similar line but it is not a continuous line around the whole inner circle.

6. I test drove the car (with all the spacers on) after balancing the wheels. Wiggle went away.

Could the line on the spacer be caused by the wiggle of the unbalanced wheel?

Because i didn't have time to have it balanced immediately, and still used the car for about 3-4 weeks with unbalanced rear passenger tire.

(I always have my wheels torqued to 105 ft/lbs all the time)
No chance of the line being caused by unbalanced wheel. It probably came shipped to you that way and you didn't notice. I think those spacers are machines, totally plausible it's from the process. More likely that than anything else.

Or try swapping the left and right spacers, drive for a week or two, and pop it off, see if it good one gets scratched.

Anyway, don't over think it. It looks ok. Enjoy your ride!
      06-11-2018, 04:23 AM   #9
bmwstve
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
No chance of the line being caused by unbalanced wheel. It probably came shipped to you that way and you didn't notice. I think those spacers are machines, totally plausible it's from the process. More likely that than anything else.

Or try swapping the left and right spacers, drive for a week or two, and pop it off, see if it good one gets scratched.

Anyway, don't over think it. It looks ok. Enjoy your ride!

Ok I'll try that, Thanks for the reply my friend
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 09:49 AM   #10
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

maybe its time to use smaller spacers..
Appreciate 0