XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

02-10-2009, 05:36 AM   #1
quitethesnapper
bimmerlover
Canada
Rep
Drives: the panzer

my first check engine light

I had my first check engine light, I took it to BMW, they said a repair wasn't needed and they cleared the code because they found no fault. They told me to bring the truck back if the light comes back on. Doesn't this sound weird? The light hasn't come back on since, the error code was this, "P2419 Evaporative emission switching valve - circuit low." They said it was related to the gas tank. Anyone have any thoughts on this? As well, the truck has been parked in the garage since the beginning of December and i just pulled it out last week when it was mild.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 10:22 AM   #2
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by quitethesnapper View Post
I had my first check engine light, I took it to BMW, they said a repair wasn't needed and they cleared the code because they found no fault. They told me to bring the truck back if the light comes back on. Doesn't this sound weird? The light hasn't come back on since, the error code was this, "P2419 Evaporative emission switching valve - circuit low." They said it was related to the gas tank. Anyone have any thoughts on this? As well, the truck has been parked in the garage since the beginning of December and i just pulled it out last week when it was mild.
see my experiences:http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203016
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 10:29 PM   #3
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Check engine light

Quote:
Make sure your gas tank cap/cover cliks when u r finished gasing up. It's a long time in cold weather 2 leave in garage. is it heated garage? so car battery can be weak, giving erroneous readouts.

Any issues w/ electrical, read my post re: Battery... #15, in x6 problems & sol'n. thread.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 04:52 PM   #4
quitethesnapper
bimmerlover
Canada
Rep

i thought about the gas cap too, and no my garage is not heated, i have my 650i in the same garage and no such problem, i started it at the same time, pretty weird, i will keep everyone posted if anything happens again
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 08:18 PM   #5
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
i thought about the gas cap too, and no my garage is not heated, i have my 650i in the same garage and no such problem, i started it at the same time, pretty weird, i will keep everyone posted if anything happens again
Do you have an '08 or '09?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 08:39 PM   #6
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I would check the battery as it seems a lot of the minor issues started showing up after car had been parked for a while and went away after a long drive.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 09:58 AM   #7
autodahn
Kassel Kid
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
I would check the battery as it seems a lot of the minor issues started showing up after car had been parked for a while and went away after a long drive.
Just got my 50i back from the dealer after a 2nd check engine light incident. The SA thinks it could be related to the battery's reaction to short trips versus long trips (5 miles vs 10-22 miles) predominant usage. He said "they are working on it". 90% of my trips are under 5 miles (to the gym, post office, grocery store; heck, the longest I ever go is to the dealer to fix the engine light!). Any long-distance commuters out there who've had this problem?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 10:23 AM   #8
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodahn View Post
Just got my 50i back from the dealer after a 2nd check engine light incident. The SA thinks it could be related to the battery's reaction to short trips versus long trips (5 miles vs 10-22 miles) predominant usage. He said "they are working on it". 90% of my trips are under 5 miles (to the gym, post office, grocery store; heck, the longest I ever go is to the dealer to fix the engine light!). Any long-distance commuters out there who've had this problem?

they did check to see if the battery is the correct one right ? as many of us have found somehow some were shipped with the incorrect battery.
Anyone else do short trips like AD does ?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 12:27 PM   #9
Kojak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-Sport

I had my battery replaced on 26 Nov due to premature failure due in turn to many short trips. Its been fine since but I've turned off the daytime driving lights and haven't been using the air condx. The dealer didn't say anything about me having had the wrong battery
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 01:58 PM   #10
autodahn
Kassel Kid
Rep

Quote:
they did check to see if the battery is the correct one right ? as many of us have found somehow some were shipped with the incorrect battery.
Anyone else do short trips like AD does ?
They did indeed. In fact I handed him a printout of your relevant thread (thanks!). However if anyone has the part # of the correct battery and cares to post it, that might help allay suspicion...
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 02:01 PM   #11
autodahn
Kassel Kid
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojak View Post
I had my battery replaced on 26 Nov due to premature failure due in turn to many short trips. Its been fine since but I've turned off the daytime driving lights and haven't been using the air condx. The dealer didn't say anything about me having had the wrong battery
At what mileage was the battery replaced? I wonder why we short-trippers are being penalized?!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 03:52 PM   #12
Kojak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-Sport

the battery was replaced at 9935 miles; when the car was almost exactly 6 mo. old
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 10:13 PM   #13
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodahn View Post
They did indeed. In fact I handed him a printout of your relevant thread (thanks!). However if anyone has the part # of the correct battery and cares to post it, that might help allay suspicion...

Sorry can't help , I checked my paperwork and all it says is "wrong battery type, car had regular lead acid battery but this car requires type AGM (Gel). installed AGM battery".
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 09:32 AM   #14
autodahn
Kassel Kid
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojak View Post
the battery was replaced at 9935 miles; when the car was almost exactly 6 mo. old
Interesting! Mine had 7200 miles and was almost exactly 6 months old!

Anybody from BMW NA monitoring this thread?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 09:35 AM   #15
autodahn
Kassel Kid
Rep

Quote:
Sorry can't help , I checked my paperwork and all it says is "wrong battery type, car had regular lead acid battery but this car requires type AGM (Gel). installed AGM battery".
Thanks for checking. My SA was mystified by the "gel type battery" reference. Wonder what's going on?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 07:36 PM   #16
quitethesnapper
bimmerlover
Canada
Rep

my truck is a 2009, the light came on again tonight, i have been driving it for two days now because there hasn't been any snow in toronto, i am going to bring it in on tuesday, i'll let you guys know what the dealer says, i'm starting to get a little pissed off to be quite honest and the last thing i want is the dealer using my truck as a guinea pig
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 09:38 PM   #17
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Check engine light

Quote:
my truck is a 2009, the light came on again tonight, i have been driving it for two days now because there hasn't been any snow in toronto, i am going to bring it in on tuesday, i'll let you guys know what the dealer says, i'm starting to get a little pissed off to be quite honest and the last thing i want is the dealer using my truck as a guinea pig
Check my tread;
Power Issues MAY Require N e w Battery *
9th thread down fr. the top for part # & details of my problem.
SC plant assembles so many different models, something(s) have to screw up & make guinea pigs of us all !
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2009, 07:37 PM   #18
JeffCBH
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW X6 50i

I just discovered the same thing...saw a "check engine" light, brought it into the dealership, they connected my X6 to their computer, and it showed that same pump failure as reported above, and they wanted to replace the pump...I told them five times to check the battery part number, per the earlier posts (thanks guys!) and yet they didn't check the part number...until the 5th time I asked, and they discovered it was not the correct battery that is supposed to be there...hoping this puts this to bed...hate having warning lights on a 6-month old car!
Nonetheless, thanks guys for posting...it certainly cut down on visits to the service department, and helped out a lot.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2009, 07:58 PM   #19
shenard
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffCBH View Post
I just discovered the same thing...saw a "check engine" light, brought it into the dealership, they connected my X6 to their computer, and it showed that same pump failure as reported above, and they wanted to replace the pump...I told them five times to check the battery part number, per the earlier posts (thanks guys!) and yet they didn't check the part number...until the 5th time I asked, and they discovered it was not the correct battery that is supposed to be there...hoping this puts this to bed...hate having warning lights on a 6-month old car!
Nonetheless, thanks guys for posting...it certainly cut down on visits to the service department, and helped out a lot.
My check engine light has come on and off about 7 or 8 times now and I have a feeling it is for the same battery problem but I am not going to worry about it anymore because they are buying back my X6 due to the steering issue that they have not been able to fix.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2009, 09:00 PM   #20
JeffCBH
Enlisted Member
Rep

Wow...are you going to get another X6?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2009, 09:50 PM   #21
shenard
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffCBH View Post
Wow...are you going to get another X6?
Yes. I actually love the X6 and will be getting it Dinan tuned as well. Meeting Steve Dinan this Saturday night at my dealer at an event he is hosting and will get more details about the tune. The only change I am making is changing from Vermillion Red to Alpine White and getting leather dash which now comes with the Nappa Leather Seats package. Still trying to decide whether I should add Active Steering or not. My dealer swears by it for the X models but not sure yet. May have to drive an X5 with it and see what I think.

Last edited by shenard; 02-19-2009 at 08:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2009, 08:36 AM   #22
JeffCBH
Enlisted Member
Rep

I have active steering on mine, and sometimes I like it and other times I don't...sometimes feels vague and a bit loose...not sure if I made a mistake...but definitely drive with and without, back to back...
Appreciate 0