XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

01-17-2009, 03:11 AM   #1
herol
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Question X6 M vs X5 M

I think if the X5 M and X6 M are identical in therms of engines ,speed and all the high tech stuff like DPC/ because now the main difference between X5 and X6 is exactly the R6/V8 bi-turbo and DPC-Dynamic Performance Control/ the X6 will loose its image of sport version of X5 and many people will loose reason to buy X6 instead of X5. Even now is difficult to argue the people why to buy the X6 because they are basically the same vehicles. I think that this will end with lowering the sales of X6 and ended its production. The X6 must be more individual and more sportier version of big SUV like X5 to keep interest in people/X6 Hybrid is good move/. I think that there is no real reason to make the X5 more powerful than X6 50i, give the X5 V8 bi-turbo but don't mess it with M badge, and make one truly impressive M model of Xseries - X6M.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2009, 02:07 PM   #2
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

You are comparing apples with oranges here.

I highly doubt that because the M division is releasing an M version of both the X5 and X6 that this will mean the end of the X6.

When the M division released their M5, did that mean that nobody would buy the 550 (or 545 a while back) or when they introduced the M6 that that would be the end of the 650 (or 645)?

These are different cars for different segments and not to mention for different pocket books!

Even if BMW (and they most likely will sometime in the near future) change the engines in the X5 to the same engines currently offered in the X6 and add DPC to the X5, that still does not mean the end of the X6. The X6 speaks to a different clientele than the X5 (as previously discussed in length in this forum).
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2009, 02:54 PM   #3
GuyOh
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LB M2 / 2020 X5 40i

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
2020 Bmw X5 40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post

I highly doubt that because the M division is releasing an M version of both the X5 and X6 that this will mean the end of the X6.

When the M division released their M5, did that mean that nobody would buy the 550 (or 545 a while back) or when they introduced the M6 that that would be the end of the 650 (or 645)?

These are different cars for different segments and not to mention for different pocket books!

Even if BMW (and they most likely will sometime in the near future) change the engines in the X5 to the same engines currently offered in the X6 and add DPC to the X5, that still does not mean the end of the X6. The X6 speaks to a different clientele than the X5 (as previously discussed in length in this forum).
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2009, 04:27 PM   #4
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by herol View Post
I think if the X5 M and X6 M are identical in therms of engines ,speed and all the high tech stuff like DPC/ because now the main difference between X5 and X6 is exactly the R6/V8 bi-turbo and DPC-Dynamic Performance Control/ the X6 will loose its image of sport version of X5 and many people will loose reason to buy X6 instead of X5. Even now is difficult to argue the people why to buy the X6 because they are basically the same vehicles. I think that this will end with lowering the sales of X6 and ended its production. The X6 must be more individual and more sportier version of big SUV like X5 to keep interest in people/X6 Hybrid is good move/. I think that there is no real reason to make the X5 more powerful than X6 50i, give the X5 V8 bi-turbo but don't mess it with M badge, and make one truly impressive M model of Xseries - X6M.
I think many X6 buyers would have purchased the X5 had the X6 not been available.

When you pay a lot for a car, I think folks would like some uniqueness. This is why the 650/M6 sell well even though the M5/550 are basically the same cars in a 4 door.

The X1 will be here soon. So consumers can choose between X1/3/5/6.

What BMW did was create a vehicle that costs about $5k more than an X5, increased their revenue, and offered consumers another option.

We should be celebrating the choices we have no telling how long we will have them all. I think consumers are rethinking what is important and the excessive spending over the last two decades will dwindle down quite a bit. Therefore choices will be smaller cars with better fuel efficiency and lower price points.
      01-17-2009, 05:04 PM   #5
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by herol View Post
no comment.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2009, 07:19 PM   #6
herol
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Arrow

Ok. Dont get me wrong but i was driving X5 e70 before i buy a X6. The X5 is fantastic vehicle and i was very happy with it. When i drove a X6 for a first time it was a totally different feeling its rides better than a many sports car on the market.All the people who droved this car shared the same experience and this is the reason that make it so successful model. This is the reason why the people bought this car its faster,sexier and its different from X5. Now take this two cars and make them equal with engines ,transmissions etc. and what will be the plus of X6 - 2 seats on the back? or Vermilion red colour? About M6/M5 The M6 is lighter, faster, lower center of gravity, handles better! Those are some major differences. It is the better car. But i think that you are right BMW will try to apply M5/M6 marketing point to X5M/X6M. I just hope they will make the X6M more desirable car.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2009, 09:41 PM   #7
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:

+2
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2009, 09:47 PM   #8
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
I think many X6 buyers would have purchased the X5 had the X6 not been available.
Nope I already owned an X5, didn't want another one because the X5 had been changed to appeal to different segment then I, soccer mom needing 7 seats.
But I did need the hatch so our Chow could get in the car (the back seat is his), X6 fit the bill perfectly. The more choices the better, heaven forbid we should all become borg.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 10:33 AM   #9
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:

We should be celebrating the choices we have no telling how long we will have them all. I think consumers are rethinking what is important and the excessive spending over the last two decades will dwindle down quite a bit. Therefore choices will be smaller cars with better fuel efficiency and lower price points.
I think what you say here is spot on, many (me included) are down sizing one of there cars to a cheaper to run less expensive model, keeping only one "High end car".
We have just sold the Honda 2.2 CDTI Civic and ordered the new Fiesta 1.4CDTI diesel 5 door for town use only, keeping the X6 for longer runs.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 12:25 PM   #10
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
Nope I already owned an X5, didn't want another one because the X5 had been changed to appeal to different segment then I, soccer mom needing 7 seats.
But I did need the hatch so our Chow could get in the car (the back seat is his), X6 fit the bill perfectly. The more choices the better, heaven forbid we should all become borg.
You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile!

+1 on the choices.
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 12:38 PM   #11
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
I think what you say here is spot on, many (me included) are down sizing one of there cars to a cheaper to run less expensive model, keeping only one "High end car".
We have just sold the Honda 2.2 CDTI Civic and ordered the new Fiesta 1.4CDTI diesel 5 door for town use only, keeping the X6 for longer runs.
You may be right, but I think this is only due to the current economic state. Go back to the early 90th and have a look what happened back then...
Then look at the time between then and about a year ago...

Give it another 10 to 15 years and we will be back where we were a year or so ago. It's a natural cycle. I'm not saying that we will be building the same gas guzzling cars we build in the past (I sure hope we've learned something from our past mistakes), but I'm sure once the economy gets back out of the slump it currently is in, people will change their outlook into the future and their purchasing decisions (once again). It's just like a roller coaster, what goes up, must come down (eventually)...

I for one do NOT fall in to the 'X6 buyers would have purchased the X5 had the X6 not been available' category. I would probably have bought the 535xi Touring instead (or a 750i IF the darn thing had xDrive!).
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 01:52 PM   #12
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Interesting. I like the X5 but thought it was just too big. It is roomy but almost too roomy for my needs. I never thought about the 7 passenger soccer mom angle.

I think an X5 the size of an X3 would be nice. Hopefully the new X3 will will look better especially inside.
      01-18-2009, 03:12 PM   #13
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

i was x5 fan,but when i saw x6..that was love on a first sight...

Herol,please post some pics of your car..love that snow pic in your avtar.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 06:36 PM   #14
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Interesting. I like the X5 but thought it was just too big. It is roomy but almost too roomy for my needs. I never thought about the 7 passenger soccer mom angle.

I think an X5 the size of an X3 would be nice. Hopefully the new X3 will will look better especially inside.

My wife would like to replace her 330i with something that has performance characteristics of her 330 but with xdrive and height of a x3, maybe an X4. She says X5 is to big of a car for her.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 08:42 AM   #15
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ML550/AMG

Quote:
I'm not saying that we will be building the same gas guzzling cars we build in the past (I sure hope we've learned something from our past mistakes)...
Yes we will! The first gas guzzlers were in the 60's, then came emission controls and the oil shock of the 70's and Detroit stopped building cars with monster engines. But over time, power came creeping back, mostly through technology improvements and computerization of engine management, and then next thing you know there is a horespower race on again, even bigger this time than in the old muscle car era, and led by the European manufacturers who already live with six dollar a gallon gas. Remember that even at four bucks a gallon in the US, gas is no more expensive than it was back in the 70's when measured in constant dollars.

Yes, we are entering a period of diesels, hybrids, electric cars, and tiny town cars, because the automotive business goes through trends and fads, but as sure as eggs is eggs the muscle will come back. "We" may have learned something -- not sure what -- but the next generation hasn't.

Long live boys and their toys!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 11:11 AM   #16
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie's Dad View Post
....... But over time, power came creeping back, mostly through technology improvements and computerization of engine management, and then next thing you know there is a horespower race on again, even bigger this time than in the old muscle car era, ................
+1

I think folks that say horsepower is going away are looking at this in an old school way, to get more horsepower you have to have more cubic inches/liters for engines. Your point on technology is spot on,look at the X6 tt8 the ci/liter is less than the current x5 4.8 but produces more horsepower using technology.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 11:42 AM   #17
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie's Dad View Post
Yes we will! The first gas guzzlers were in the 60's, then came emission controls and the oil shock of the 70's and Detroit stopped building cars with monster engines. But over time, power came creeping back, mostly through technology improvements and computerization of engine management, and then next thing you know there is a horespower race on again, even bigger this time than in the old muscle car era, and led by the European manufacturers who already live with six dollar a gallon gas. Remember that even at four bucks a gallon in the US, gas is no more expensive than it was back in the 70's when measured in constant dollars.

Yes, we are entering a period of diesels, hybrids, electric cars, and tiny town cars, because the automotive business goes through trends and fads, but as sure as eggs is eggs the muscle will come back. "We" may have learned something -- not sure what -- but the next generation hasn't.

Long live boys and their toys!
+2

And to the 'Long live boys and their toys!'

In 'good' times, no one worries about how much gas they use or how much it costs if they have fun... but as soon as they feel the squeeze on the wallet, everyone complains that the gas is too expensive, the car uses too much gas, etc...

I found it hilarious that almost every car manufacturers TV ads (at least those that did advertise on TV) during the time the gas price was going up, up and up, had commercials with the MAIN focus on miles per gallon/liters per 100km, and that would be pretty much the ONLY thing they would talk about in their ads!...
But as soon as the gas price came down, those adds slowly but surely got pulled and replaced with ads that would showcase other features of the cars! I'm not sure if anyone else noticed that, but I used to make jokes about this every time I saw one of these commercials on TV
I'm glad that they finally pulled those lame commercials, especially since NOBODY would really EVER achieve those quoted numbers anyway.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2009, 03:56 PM   #18
autodahn
Kassel Kid
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

Amazing! A standard auto tranny and more rear axle power! Maybe they expect this to revive the all but dead X5/6 sales?:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=7540
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2009, 04:08 PM   #19
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodahn View Post
Amazing! A standard auto tranny and more rear axle power! Maybe they expect this to revive the all but dead X5/6 sales?:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=7540

Realistically the only advantage I see is the 500HP but you can get that from having an X6 tuned. The rear centric is interesting but most folks that are going to be putting the "petal to the metal" on 500HP will be doing so in a straight line. Still waiting to see how much they think they can charge for "souped up" X6 50i.

If you look at a normal 3 series and an M3 there is considerable difference and justifies the high price of the M3, don't see that here.

M versions are great but there has to be enough differentiation from a normal model to justify price , it is going to be harder for BMW to do this.

BMW would be better off just offering "sport packages" that can be installed/tuned via the dealer. They would do a volume level that would make them more money than on what they make selling M versions.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2009, 09:44 PM   #20
autodahn
Kassel Kid
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

Quote:
Realistically the only advantage I see is the 500HP but you can get that from having an X6 tuned. The rear centric is interesting but most folks that are going to be putting the "petal to the metal" on 500HP will be doing so in a straight line. Still waiting to see how much they think they can charge for "souped up" X6 50i.

If you look at a normal 3 series and an M3 there is considerable difference and justifies the high price of the M3, don't see that here.

M versions are great but there has to be enough differentiation from a normal model to justify price , it is going to be harder for BMW to do this.

BMW would be better off just offering "sport packages" that can be installed/tuned via the dealer. They would do a volume level that would make them more money than on what they make selling M versions.
Agree, but when the M-gineers are challenged, they have in the past delivered impressive results. Perhaps they will again!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2009, 10:50 PM   #21
Nezo86
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 50i

Quote:

+1
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 11:09 AM   #22
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:

I Agree with all you say.
Appreciate 0