XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-30-2014, 09:36 PM   #1
X5MFan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M 2012

TPMS Reset Failure

I took my 2012 X5M to a tire shop to get new tires mounted as the original tires had worn out. The TPMS was working fine when I took it in. After getting the car back I am unable to get the TPMS reset. The shop is unable to find the proble. They get two error codes 604E and 6059. None of these give any specifics as to what the solution could be. I have tried a lot of searching. MDriving the car about 20 miles get an error message "TPMS Monitor Failure " message but no specifics. Any advice as to what to do next? I could take it to the dealer, but would like to have the tire shop get this fixed.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 09:58 PM   #2
Poppyboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 3.5i w/ SA Package

Garage List
1976 Triumph TR6  [10.00]
1993 Bentley Turbo R  [10.00]
2011 X5  [10.00]
Don't let the tire shop get off so easily. TPMS aren't new technology anymore, so most tire shops should be able to handle repair/replacement. Insist they fix it or get them to pay for your visit to the stealership.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 06:43 AM   #3
HalP
2011 X5M Alpine White
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5M

Garage List
2011 BMW X5M  [0.00]
If they replaced the TPMS units on your M they may have used the wrong sensors. Went through the exact same scenario this last spring with my 2011 X5M and it turned out the tire shop used the wrong TPMS version. Around October of 2010 BMW went from TPMS V1 to V2. On mine, once they swapped out for the older version (04/10 build date) and the sensors reset on the first try and worked perfectly.

If you take it to the stealer they will likely charge you around $200 because they have to remove the tires to verify TPMS version (mine did). If you have them replace the sensors, BMW while hit you for over $800 just for the sensors. Highly recommended to get the tire shop to fix the issue they obviously created.
      10-01-2014, 10:13 AM   #4
X5MFan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M 2012

I asked if they had done anything to the sensors and the answer was no. I had the old vs. new TMPS sensor issue with the used set I bought for my winter wheels. Ended up getting new sensors from the dealer which involved taking the tires off. Everything synced up right away and when I pu the summer wheels back on everything worked great. Seems to me that there should be a way to test a TMPS sensor without taking the tire off. That way I would at least know that they are all good, or identify one that the installer may have damaged.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 10:45 AM   #5
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5MFan View Post
I asked if they had done anything to the sensors and the answer was no. I had the old vs. new TMPS sensor issue with the used set I bought for my winter wheels. Ended up getting new sensors from the dealer which involved taking the tires off. Everything synced up right away and when I pu the summer wheels back on everything worked great. Seems to me that there should be a way to test a TMPS sensor without taking the tire off. That way I would at least know that they are all good, or identify one that the installer may have damaged.
There is - they have a wand that can detect the signal - or at least they should. My guess is they damaged one when replacing the tire. This is on them. If it worked before and isn't now they need to make it right.
2014 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe Msport Black Sapphire Metallic on full black merino leather. 20" M5 343M wheels for summer, 20" 373 wheels for winter with Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 studded snow tires. M6 CP exhaust with M6 Diffuser and ///M Performance carbon fiber finisher. Mission Performance stage 1.5 and transmission tune.
Appreciate 0