XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-17-2017, 02:13 AM   #1
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

Refresher advice on 22's and drop

Gents,

I know there are several threads here about lowering and wheels and what works and what doesn't.

I'm hoping to get a fresh up to date portal on the set up.

Those of you who are lowered on 22's, will you please post a pic, name your drop method, wheel spec, and honest unfiltered advice? My rig is on stock suspension and after buying a GLE for the wife it appears I get to keep the X5M. So now that we no longer need the "Utility" aspect of the ride I'm thinking of lowering but have concerns.
      01-17-2017, 08:27 PM   #2
Zero_Cool
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 Imola 6spd

Also planning on springs w/ 22" wheels in the near future...
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 01:16 AM   #3
TheVazha
Major
Rep

Come on you X5M pioneers, post something good and help out the masses!!
      01-19-2017, 07:30 PM   #4
jrmccain
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Working on it

I'm working on the the 22" thing. I have the wheels but the tires seem to be hard to find - haven't done an exhaustive search. The wheels are Modulare Forged and look crazy. The picture on the truck is from the original owner. Regardless, I still need to get the KW setup. I tried the H&R springs and hated them. IMHO they were way too harsh for daily driving.
Attached Images

Last edited by jrmccain; 01-19-2017 at 10:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 07:41 PM   #5
TheVazha
Major
Rep

Thanks for posting.

Those are some good looking wheels sir.

What drop did you have with H&R? Why do you say it was too rough? I've had half a dozen rides that were slammed and the only thing that I thought impacted comfort is the skinny 30/25 tire sizes, not the suspension. The way I discovered this is I've put stock wheels on the same dropped cars and voila, back to comfortable. Your thoughts?

Do you think a 35/30 in a 21 inch set up would be more comfortable than a 30/25 on a 22 inch set up?

Is there anyone here that has the 1.2 drop and is sitting on stocks? Pics? Comfort?

Anyone that has a drop and has alternated between 22's and stock? Is it the drop that makes it uncomfortable or the rubber band tires on the 22's?
      01-19-2017, 10:32 PM   #6
jrmccain
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Well that's what I had, stock 20's with 1.2 H&R and the ride was really harsh. In retrospect I didn't adjust the rear link and that could have been crucial but i'll never know! Anyway, I plan on trying the 22's on a stock suspension and then go with the drop. We'll see. I love the look, but I'm not willing to sacrifice comfort for looks, it just doesn't mean that much to me. I can still roast 'em looking high and ugly!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 11:00 PM   #7
TheVazha
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmccain View Post
Well that's what I had, stock 20's with 1.2 H&R and the ride was really harsh. In retrospect I didn't adjust the rear link and that could have been crucial but i'll never know! Anyway, I plan on trying the 22's on a stock suspension and then go with the drop. We'll see. I love the look, but I'm not willing to sacrifice comfort for looks, it just doesn't mean that much to me. I can still roast 'em looking high and ugly!
Post some pics you cheap ass!
      01-20-2017, 10:22 AM   #8
GregWX5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X5 ///M

I am currently running Velos 22" S2 2 Piece wheels on factory suspension. The ride on the 22" non-runflat tires is much better than the factory 20" run flat tires! Looking into the 1.2" H&R springs right now. Whats the best price for these?

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 10:31 AM   #9
jrmccain
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Greg, your truck is on a stock suspension? It looks great. My son will say it has too much gap but I think it looks great. What tires are you running, size, and where did you get them?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 11:00 AM   #10
GregWX5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X5 ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmccain View Post
Greg, your truck is on a stock suspension? It looks great. My son will say it has too much gap but I think it looks great. What tires are you running, size, and where did you get them?
Yes the suspension is all factory. I think it looks good, but will really pop with a slightly lower stance.

the wheels and tires are as follows:
22x10.5 Front with Pirelli Scorpion 295/30/ZR22
22x12 Rear with Pirelli Scorpion 335/25/ZR22

The wheels/tires were bought second hand as a set but the tires were sourced from TireRack.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 02:53 PM   #11
Dr.Duct_Mossburg
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Space Gray · E70 X5M

Quite a few of us on here. I have the 1.2 HR's. I don't care what anyone tells you. I have NEVER even with some of the best suspension out there had the same ride quality when going lower and adding bigger wheels. You're going to have to compromise there. The smaller the tire and the lower you get the worse the ride is going to be.

The 1.2's themselves are too bad. Do you notice it? yeah... but when you hit a bump your wife isn't going to look at you and wonder why TF you lowered your truck. 22's is going to make that ride more harsh... you might hit a small pot hole and wonder if your under carriage is still on the car but it looks good. Doesn't lose TOO much feel that it makes it unpleasant to drive... but it will be noticed.
      01-21-2017, 03:37 AM   #12
UnicornM
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Duct_Mossburg View Post
Quite a few of us on here. I have the 1.2 HR's. I don't care what anyone tells you. I have NEVER even with some of the best suspension out there had the same ride quality when going lower and adding bigger wheels. You're going to have to compromise there. The smaller the tire and the lower you get the worse the ride is going to be.

The 1.2's themselves are too bad. Do you notice it? yeah... but when you hit a bump your wife isn't going to look at you and wonder why TF you lowered your truck. 22's is going to make that ride more harsh... you might hit a small pot hole and wonder if your under carriage is still on the car but it looks good. Doesn't lose TOO much feel that it makes it unpleasant to drive... but it will be noticed.
Perhaps with the exception of air ride.

The ride quality is insanely composed. I've had stock, KW coilovers and now on Airrex struts. The comfort and handling levels were never this good stock. With independent triple below bags and matched gas filled struts the car's balance is that of a medium sized family car. It doesn't feel like a barge unless your at full ride height which is about 1" higher than stock.

It's not cheap and it won't be for everyone, but its the best solution for those who want a zero compromise suspension setup, from both a looks, comfort and handling aspect.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 01:02 PM   #13
TheVazha
Major
Rep

Great contributions guys, thanks.

Has anyone tried Dinan springs? I found them for sale online at less than $300, while the H&R are around $320..
      01-21-2017, 01:15 PM   #14
Revnato
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12' X5M

To be honest I think the KWV3 coilovers are the best option. But, as mentioned above, when you lower the car and put smaller tires on it, its going to be a much rougher ride. Stock will feel like you're riding on clouds as the stock suspension eats up every pot hole with ease. Whereas with coilovers, springs, or bags (I had HP Drivetech top of the lines bags with accuair management on my m6) you're going to feel those bumps no matter what.

I personally think coilovers perform better than bags. I don't care what anyone says about Airrex, Accuair, Corsa Series, Hp drivetech, Broadway static, Airforce, the list goes on and on... bags DO NOT perform like coilovers and are (structurally) more dangerous than coilovers. Period. At least with coilovers you don't have to worry about a bag spontaneously rupturing on the freeway while going 70mph with your girlfriend in the passenger seat scaring the absolute living shit out of both of you. Thats a big perk
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 08:05 AM   #15
UnicornM
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyB View Post
To be honest I think the KWV3 coilovers are the best option. But, as mentioned above, when you lower the car and put smaller tires on it, its going to be a much rougher ride. Stock will feel like you're riding on clouds as the stock suspension eats up every pot hole with ease. Whereas with coilovers, springs, or bags (I had HP Drivetech top of the lines bags with accuair management on my m6) you're going to feel those bumps no matter what.

I personally think coilovers perform better than bags. I don't care what anyone says about Airrex, Accuair, Corsa Series, Hp drivetech, Broadway static, Airforce, the list goes on and on... bags DO NOT perform like coilovers and are (structurally) more dangerous than coilovers. Period. At least with coilovers you don't have to worry about a bag spontaneously rupturing on the freeway while going 70mph with your girlfriend in the passenger seat scaring the absolute living shit out of both of you. Thats a big perk

From a track only perspective. I do tend to agree. But for everyday use, comfort, handling and looks.. The KWs fell short of what I have achieved with the Airrex setup. In hindsight I would never had gone with the KWs route had I went with the Airrex first, but that said I'm glad I did as I gained real world knowledge on the technicality and effects with both setups. So, till you have tried it on your own vehicle your statements are just an opinion

I have had countless people in my X5 and the first thing that get's them is the lack of body roll and zero bounce. The Continental Sport Contact 6 obliterate the nasty Pirelli Scorpion go to tyres I once ran, for both comfort and insane grip.

If safety worries you about bags, I hope you ditch the stock rear bag setup that some of the X5s come with. It's truly horrendous. I travel with piece of mind and in total comfort with my wife and 2 girls, with over 10,000 miles snow and freezing conditions i've no faults to report.

KWs are little sensitive too, seen few blown units even on this forum on X5s.
Appreciate 0