XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-28-2018, 08:11 PM   #1
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 M

2010 x5m - Hose on top of engine has 3 holes in it!

Hi all. I noticed a thread about changing the turbo coolant lines for an X5M and took off the engine cover. I noticed a black hose that looks like it connects to the intercooler on the right side of the engine that has multiple holes in it. Along with a bad burning smell when i open the hood. I can see the top end of the hose is easy to take out. But the bottom looks like it connects deep into the engine so maybe the metal cover and some other parts need to be removed? Still runs fine. I heard a hissing sound when i had it in m mode but other than that seems ok. Is that easy to change?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2018, 09:31 PM   #2
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Re: Hose

Here's the pics of it. The first pic is from the drivers side. The hose in question is just below the small one that is twisted like a snake. The rest are from the passenger side looking forward. Can't see far enough down into the engine to find where it attaches. Must be an intercooler hose or something. Looks like something metal was touching it. How can it be burnt through like that unless the air inside is burning from the inside out!? But, Probably have to take out a lot of stuff to get at it? Or is it easier than it looks?

Also, the right side turbo coolant lines on top were replaced by a mechanic (supposedly.) I can't tell the left side (old ones) from the right side. So, they could have just said they replaced them when they didn't as both left and right look almost new.

Thanks.
Attached Images

Last edited by chris604; 04-28-2018 at 09:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2018, 10:12 PM   #3
protecon
*May contain nuts
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M MCB

Looks like a re circulation hose for the wastegate - it's not super critical for the S63 (moreso to meet emission standards), as it has a MAP not a MAF.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Genuine...sAAOSwXrBa3slw

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=13_1339
      04-28-2018, 10:17 PM   #4
protecon
*May contain nuts
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M MCB

It honestly looks like it's failed in the past (non-standard hose clamp), and someone has used any old radiator hose, rather than one appropriately heat-rated.
      04-30-2018, 02:29 PM   #5
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep

bypass hose

Quote:
Originally Posted by protecon View Post
It honestly looks like it's failed in the past (non-standard hose clamp), and someone has used any old radiator hose, rather than one appropriately heat-rated.
Thanks for that!
Yes, looks that way on top at least. I see the green lettering on the left side on top of the hose, whereas this one has white lettering. But, at the bottom of the hose in between the 2 turbos, it has green lettering and also has that special crimp clamp on it like the other hoses. Did you know how to remove those special hose clamps? theres no way I could get any pair of needle nose pliers in there. Even if you could, you couldn't open them to get any leverage. Need some sort of special tool? I wouldn't be surprised if I do!? I think I need to replace that ASAP, as theres a burning / exhaust smell / chemical smell, every time I either turn on the car or turn off the car when I come back from driving it for a while.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 07:30 AM   #6
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport

That TOTALLY looks like a rodent chewed on it!! Look at the little teeth marks all over, it wasn't melted.
No matter what kind of hose it is I can't believe its not throwing a code.

You'd best look around for other rodent damage as well.
e90 328i - sold
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 04:51 PM   #7
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep

mouse chewing at my hoses?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatmizr View Post
That TOTALLY looks like a rodent chewed on it!! Look at the little teeth marks all over, it wasn't melted.
No matter what kind of hose it is I can't believe its not throwing a code.

You'd best look around for other rodent damage as well.
I think you may be right. Coincidentally, a few months ago, I smelled what I thought was a dead mouse or rat coming from the air conditioning. Took it to the dealer, cause I thought they may have left the door open or something when initially did the inspection b4 I purchased it. And, the area of town that the dealer is in, is near farmland, so... Anways, initially they said it was a claim for rodent damage, so it would be covered under insurance, and it was a small deductible only. Then, after looking around, and finding no rat droppings, they all of a sudden said no way, and I had to pay for them to replace the evaporator, which is supposedly between the engine and dash, and it was $2K. LOL. Argued with them and the insurance adjuster, but lost. Wonder if it's too late by now. Could the rat have chewed through the metal evaporator fittings, or something like that? As, of course another coincidence is that the smell of the supposedly leaking evaporator smelled exactly like a dead rat!! But, the other thing is you could only smell it inside the vehicle. I opened the hood and smelled nothing.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 03:08 PM   #8
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep

So you did (or did not) get the evaporator replaced at that time?
Do you think the hose was chewed at that time, and no one noticed? Seems unlikely.
Which raises the possibility that it happened after?? Is the critter still around?

I doubt it would chew metal with so much tasty rubber around!
e90 328i - sold
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 04:02 PM   #9
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatmizr View Post
So you did (or did not) get the evaporator replaced at that time?
Do you think the hose was chewed at that time, and no one noticed? Seems unlikely.
Which raises the possibility that it happened after?? Is the critter still around?

I doubt it would chew metal with so much tasty rubber around!
Yep, I did get it done at that time. Trying to reopen the claim. It should be related, I'm thinking. I believe it happened at the dealer (when the mouse attacked). As, I didn't noticed anything recently changing.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 09:50 PM   #10
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Also, the holes and bite marks are only visible from a certain angle, so I think they must have missed it at that time. ONly if you look from the windshield towards the front of the truck can you see it, otherwise, it's hidden from view. Possibly, theres other rodent damage, I'm thinking. It's getting checked out on Monday at the dealer again. I don't think they can deny it this time! Thanks for the keen observation, it didn't cross my mind!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 02:12 PM   #11
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Haha, glad to help!
I have never even actually seen a rodent-damaged hose (or anything) in real life, but that just looked so obviously chewed on to me when I saw it.

I did have a mouse nest in my old Honda motorbike airbox once though. I have never gotten over the image of a mouse shimmying up the kickstand or tire to get up into a bike... Seems like there are a million easier places to nest in!
e90 328i - sold
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 10:49 PM   #12
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris604 View Post
I think you may be right. Coincidentally, a few months ago, I smelled what I thought was a dead mouse or rat coming from the air conditioning. Took it to the dealer, cause I thought they may have left the door open or something when initially did the inspection b4 I purchased it. And, the area of town that the dealer is in, is near farmland, so... Anways, initially they said it was a claim for rodent damage, so it would be covered under insurance, and it was a small deductible only. Then, after looking around, and finding no rat droppings, they all of a sudden said no way, and I had to pay for them to replace the evaporator, which is supposedly between the engine and dash, and it was $2K. LOL. Argued with them and the insurance adjuster, but lost. Wonder if it's too late by now. Could the rat have chewed through the metal evaporator fittings, or something like that? As, of course another coincidence is that the smell of the supposedly leaking evaporator smelled exactly like a dead rat!! But, the other thing is you could only smell it inside the vehicle. I opened the hood and smelled nothing.
BMW dealership said my x5m evaporate core and vacuum pump is leaking and the cost of fixing these two items is given 7400$ 😬😬😬
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 11:00 PM   #13
carbonM
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E70 50iMt, 2011 e82 135i

$7400? Thats a lot for two parts that cost roughly $1000. So they are trying to charge $6400 for labor? What other parts are listed?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 11:44 PM   #14
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonM View Post
$7400? Thats a lot for two parts that cost roughly $1000. So they are trying to charge $6400 for labor? What other parts are listed?
5800$ labor and rest is part and taxes . The labor for evaporater core itself is 3500$
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 09:42 AM   #15
carbonM
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E70 50iMt, 2011 e82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmayank View Post
5800$ labor and rest is part and taxes . The labor for evaporater core itself is 3500$
It is a big job, because I believe they need to remove the dash to replace the evaporater. But I still think the labor cost is insane. I would tackle a job like this myself, but that is just me.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 10:38 AM   #16
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonM View Post
It is a big job, because I believe they need to remove the dash to replace the evaporater. But I still think the labor cost is insane. I would tackle a job like this myself, but that is just me.
I understand, they are still doing a UV die test to see if the evaporator core is actually leaking . My AC was working fine but the service advisor suggested to get this checked as this part is bound to fail in a x5m. It’s not if it’s when.

Is anyone familiar with not fixing a evaporator core, I understand that the leaking refrigerant is a serious health issue. How come BMW is able to not have recall for such severe issues . From what I feel, they make these parts and seals
As fragile so that these fails and they can charge thousands of dollars on fixing
Appreciate 0