XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

11-17-2010, 12:57 AM   #1
KreativeX6
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 50i

Differences between Euro Spec and American

Just curious to know what parts are found on the Euro spec then the US Spec version.

I plan on going to the German BMW dealer next week and ordering the clear side markers and removing the orange ones.

If there are other things that you would look into, give me some ideas.

I am also going to schedule an appointment to see what programs they can offer for the key fob (i.e closing the tail gate via key fob) just not sure if some things can be done because my X6 is US Spec.

Well...if you had easy access to German stuff for your X6, shoot me a comment and tell me what you would get that the US Spec doesn't come with.

Thanks,
Bryan B
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 12:00 PM   #2
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

not sure but I think Euro spec has rear fog lights where the US has reflectors.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 01:30 PM   #3
UK6
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 & 330e

Yes we have twin rear fogs, at least in the UK anyway and a wheel on the other side
Think the front reflectors are orange on the US spec car while ours are clear.
Do you get the first aid pack and warning triangle over there too?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 05:22 PM   #4
scottjays
Starfleet Command
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KreativeX6 View Post
Just curious to know what parts are found on the Euro spec then the US Spec version.

I plan on going to the German BMW dealer next week and ordering the clear side markers and removing the orange ones.

If there are other things that you would look into, give me some ideas.

I am also going to schedule an appointment to see what programs they can offer for the key fob (i.e closing the tail gate via key fob) just not sure if some things can be done because my X6 is US Spec.

Well...if you had easy access to German stuff for your X6, shoot me a comment and tell me what you would get that the US Spec doesn't come with.

Thanks,
Bryan B
If I remember this correctly, I think the Euro versions have more internet/BMW assist features. I believe the idrive in Europe has the capability to offer CNN or other feeds. How useful would this be, imho, not much.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 05:38 PM   #5
KreativeX6
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep

I think I take delivery tomorrow. Today they changed the tires and rims for winter season. They installed some OEM 19" Rims and used Blizzaks LM-25 RFT. I'll put the summer tires and rims in my garage for now.

But I checked the back and there is a warning triangle and first aid kit, this is required to have by German law. I did read about the rear tails having orange lights and the US Spec having red?

I asked about the performance package at the German BMW dealer, but they only have cosmetic accessories available, nothing to re-tune the ECU, exhaust, etc.

Last edited by KreativeX6; 11-23-2010 at 03:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 06:23 PM   #6
UK6
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 & 330e

Tail lights are red but the indicators or turn signal is orange (light unit looks the same just bulbs change I think), the iDrive news feeds are in the connected drive online area, we get google local search, news from a couple of different feeds and weather, the Germans get full internet access I think, which will undoubtedly be rolled out to other areas eventually.

I got the UK performance information through the other day and there is only a stainless exhaust offered here for the petrol versions, along with the sports body mods and new 21" wheels and alcantara steering wheel.

Heres the tail lights on mine.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 12:44 AM   #7
KreativeX6
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep

Cool thanks for the great info
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 03:07 AM   #8
CZX6
Registered
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 50i, 2008

Hi, KreativeX6.
I used to have exactly same problem and same questions. Having US specs. X6 in Europe. I do not want to horrify you, but there's a lot more than just side markers and fog lights. US specs cars are running under US SW. European BMW dealer do not have permissions to re-code the car into european SW. That means your FM radio will only tune in 0.2 MHz (91.1 - 91.3 - 91.5....). You won't be able to tune many of european / german radio stations (e.g. 88.2, 102.2....). RDS won't work properly. It only shows the name of the station but it won't rescan and change frq. as you drive. Navigation - TMC not working if having US SW (the rest works just fine). if you have DVD rear entertainment system - you can't change region. It only plays US region or 0. Not european.
And there is a lot more still hidden... These were just examples of daily issues. BUT it can be SOLVED if you find somebody who can do a "small hack" and change the coding. I was able to do it here in Prague (regular BMW guy). I have european SW for NAVI, radio, DVD entrainment, fob... but the rest remains US specs. This is to avoid problems when having regular service checks by your BMW dealer. If they type your VIN into their system, they see it is US Specs car and they can only use US specs SW in this case. You have to ask them not to overwrite your "hacked" parts...

Hope this will help a little bit. Sounds maybe complicated but doable:-)

If having more questions, just ask...

CZX6
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 03:23 AM   #9
KreativeX6
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep

CZX6,

Thanks for the great amount of info provided. I am headed back to the States in March, so what I wanted to do was change out a few interior/exterior items to make it the Euro version since I have the advantage of being in Germany.

For example on the E60 5 series, the Germans have clear corners in their headlights, we have the ugly orange lenses built in. I had my US Spec M5's software updated at the dealer here and the usual routine maintenance.

I started to read this forum and saw that many people were interested in the new Performance package BMW offers, so I asked the dealer about the new software reflash to increase the HP and Tq, but they were not familiar with that upgrade. They did find some cosmetic applications to update the X6 but that's it.

Off topic, I was hoping to find more aftermarket support on the 4.4 TT motor, like intakes, exhausts, air scoops, etc. Seems like there is such great potential with this motor. I talked with RPI and they told me they are interested in developing an intake system for the 50i motor.

I used RPI and ASR Engineering products for my M5.

Tschuss! -Bryan
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 10:47 AM   #10
scottjays
Starfleet Command
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KreativeX6 View Post
CZX6,

Thanks for the great amount of info provided. I am headed back to the States in March, so what I wanted to do was change out a few interior/exterior items to make it the Euro version since I have the advantage of being in Germany.

For example on the E60 5 series, the Germans have clear corners in their headlights, we have the ugly orange lenses built in. I had my US Spec M5's software updated at the dealer here and the usual routine maintenance.

I started to read this forum and saw that many people were interested in the new Performance package BMW offers, so I asked the dealer about the new software reflash to increase the HP and Tq, but they were not familiar with that upgrade. They did find some cosmetic applications to update the X6 but that's it.

Off topic, I was hoping to find more aftermarket support on the 4.4 TT motor, like intakes, exhausts, air scoops, etc. Seems like there is such great potential with this motor. I talked with RPI and they told me they are interested in developing an intake system for the 50i motor.

I used RPI and ASR Engineering products for my M5.

Tschuss! -Bryan
here is the link to BMWUSA website for engine upgrade. However it's not available to MY 2011. I did the Dinan software upgrade. much better, imo. as HP and torque is nearly double the BMW version. plus Dinan fully matches the original BMW warranty!!
http://accessories.bmwusa.com/ItemVi...=1&subItemId=3

Dinan link
http://www.dinancars.com/shop/D900-4...de.aspx#page=1
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 05:16 AM   #11
KreativeX6
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjays View Post
here is the link to BMWUSA website for engine upgrade. However it's not available to MY 2011. I did the Dinan software upgrade. much better, imo. as HP and torque is nearly double the BMW version. plus Dinan fully matches the original BMW warranty!!
http://accessories.bmwusa.com/ItemVi...=1&subItemId=3

Dinan link
http://www.dinancars.com/shop/D900-4...de.aspx#page=1

Those power figures are insane from the Dinan reflash
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 05:48 PM   #12
Petrut
Registered
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: X6

Hi czx6,

I have just brought 2010 x6 5i to prg, have it on plates, but seems I will be facing some issues with the navi, radio, fog lights etc. Is there option to touch base and get some help? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 03:36 PM   #13
CZX6
Registered
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 50i, 2008

Hi Petrut,

congrats on your new baby:-) PM me and I'll try to help you with all known issues... :-)
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 04:55 AM   #14
X6Amy
Private
Rep
Drives: X6 40d

You must get rid of those orange reflectors at the front! Awful eye saw!