XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

06-04-2008, 08:16 AM   #1
kylemanta
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 435GC / 18 440GC

Smile X6 35 First Drive Thoughts

I was the first to receive the X6 from my dealership - what a car! I have about 30 miles on it now (specs below) and here are my first thoughts.

Wheels make the difference! The 20" wheels are absolutely stunning (like the 335 with sport, the rear tires are wider than the fronts as well (275 & 315). The sport package will get you the 20" wheels with performance tires (not suitable for winter weather, so you may opt for all seasons). For those of you interested, after some checking around, BMW and others have recommended the Michellin Latitude All Season Tires (same ones for the X5, available through BMW or slightly cheaper from tirerack).

Ride is amazing. Low RPM power provides smooth acceleration and immediate response. Sport package adds the dymanic performance control (adaptive drive), a sport mode (button) which I haven't even used yet. The auto-height adjustment is pretty cool too - stiffens up the car, especially around turns, reducing the "roll" effect. Acceleration is surprising for a vehilce that size (having test drive both 08 X5 engines, I'd still go for the X6). Very firm, fluid response and performance. Just the right level of audible rumble from the exhaust compliments the drive without becoming overbearing.

Upgraded audio system provides 16 speakers with 600 watts, USB hookup and 6-disc glovebox DVD changer (yes, DVD changer). Load up the MP3 songs on DVD or USB flash drive (my preferred method - 16GB flash drives fro $100). MP3 playback from flash drive is awesome and flexible, reading directory, artist, album, song title, genre and playlists.

Interior is very spacious, seats are extremely comfortable - definitely go for the multi-contours! Seat bolsters for sport driving are a welcome addition and I like the ability to adust the upper half of the seat back as I tend to sit forward. With wood trim, there's still some aluminum trim to compliment it perfectly, nice touch BMW. Rear seats are easy to get in and out of. I'm 5'11", no problem sitting comfortable in the back. Rear climate package adds individual climate controls for rear passangers to compliment the dual climate in the front (which can also be controlled via idrive). Heated rear seats a nice touch for winter trips to NH.

Forget using the rear window, any test drive will confirm that in 3 seconds. Larger mirrors help, but you do have to be aware of the size of the car. Still would have been nice to have a rear wiper. The window may not have been that beneficial, but it's perfectly useless when wet.

Park distance is loaded in front and rear and rather useful. The rear camera is disappointing (had this on my 06 Infiniti FX which was great) - it's very blurry and difficult to see. Kudos that when in Reverse, the tech package splits the dash monitor to show PDC sensor and rear camera simultaneously.

Auto tailgate is nice with adjustable height for opening (set via idrive) and when fully open, is quit high. Comfort access and auto tailgate make loading very convenient. Would have been nice to have power folding seats via front and cargo area buttons, but we're left with manual controls. Cargo room is surprisingly spacious too, despite the steep slope of the roof.

Overall, very pleased with the car. Turns heads everywhere. Definitely a unique look without compromising driving performance. It's not my 335, but it's fun to drive!

Auto/space grey/black
Premium Pckg
Sport Pckg
20" Wheels w/perf tires
Cold Weather Pckg
Rear Climate Pckg
Premium Sound Pckg
Satellite
Tech Pckg
Rear Camera
Auto Tailgate
Multi-Contour Seats
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 08:32 AM   #2
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ML550/AMG

Good report! Thanks for posting. I think yours is the first report I have read about the premium sound package -- I'm glad the USB flash drive works well as that is my preferred medium for storing my ever-changing tastes in music.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 09:34 AM   #3
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3

kylemanta,Very nice write-up! Thanks for posting and enjoy your new X6! PS...I've seen hundreds of X6's given I live where they are built......and I still stop and stare every single time I see one .....just a beautiful design!Thanks! PalBay
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 11:37 AM   #4
KJ
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 - Alpine White

What kind of music do you usually listen to?

How powerful is the bass? Can you turn it to obnoxiously loud levels with mirror rattling bass and no distortion/panel vibration?

Thanks,
KJ
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 12:30 PM   #5
John
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

nice man, any pics?

E90post Project 325i

www.creativeautoworks.com
James@creativeautoworks.com
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 12:52 PM   #6
kylemanta
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Pics will be up this week, been raining since I picked it up. Here are the specs on the audio equalizer (which I found on this site and like). Audio system is amazing. I usually listen to rock/alternative/80s/country (so I've got a good mix - Bon Jovi, Nickelback, 3 Doors Down, Three Days Grace, Whitesnake, Bryan Adams, John Mellencamp, Seether, Tim McGraw, Kenny Chesney, Rascal Flatts, etc.).

80 - 4 bars
200 - 6 bars
500 - 7 bars
1K - 6 bars
2K - 5 bars
5K - 5 bars
10K - 3 bars
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 04:51 PM   #7
KJ
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Great...that's one of my must have options. Gotta have the tunes in the car! =) Used to have a $20,000 stereo in my M3, but the practicality lost by having subwoofers fill up half the trunk got "tired" after a while. Now I gotta compromise with factory "hifi".

Another question I have, can you watch DVD's on the main screen while driving? If not, does a company make something to "trick" the car into thinking it's parked so you can?

- KJ
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 05:12 PM   #8
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ View Post
Great...that's one of my must have options. Gotta have the tunes in the car! =) Used to have a $20,000 stereo in my M3, but the practicality lost by having subwoofers fill up half the trunk got "tired" after a while. Now I gotta compromise with factory "hifi".

Another question I have, can you watch DVD's on the main screen while driving? If not, does a company make something to "trick" the car into thinking it's parked so you can?

- KJ
you can watch DVD's while parked. The audio stays on but the video goes off while driving.

I too would like to know the override sequence.
      06-04-2008, 06:10 PM   #9
KJ
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
you can watch DVD's while parked. The audio stays on but the video goes off while driving.

I too would like to know the override sequence.
I found something called "Dietz TV in Motion" for the older X5 that achieved this. Hopefully they come out with one for the newer X5 and X6.

For my old stereo, my shop installed a switch I could use to override this "Safety" feature on my Alpine headunit, but I'm not sure how integrated BMW's stereo system is with the ECU. If the headunit reads the speed off the ECU in order to turn the video on or off, I can imagine bypassing this to be quite difficult.

- KJ
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 07:05 PM   #10
kylemanta
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Here's an update:

The auto tailgate can't be closed from the remote or the dash button - only from the switch on the tailgate itself. I understand this is for safetey - but then tell me why the hatch closes very quickly and doesn't stop when it hits an obstruction like an outstretched arm? This is very disappointing as the auto tailgates in the Lexus and new Nissan Murano have this protection (and I think the Murano hatch closed from the dash button). Bad design BMW! Maybe we can fix this with software? Unlikely, but maybe? I must admit I've been spoiled by my 2 week old 335 Convertible which allows closing the windows and roof from the remote - if it's ok for the convertible, it should be ok for all the cars BMW! Anyone listening? The cargo area includes a removable tri-fold cover that hides the contents of the cargo bay. Unlike other SUVs that have shades, this is a hard surface cover which can be used as a shelf to hold additional items (couldn't find an official weight, but I'd guess 10 - 20 pounds).

I spoke with my salesman who confirmed others have complained about the blurry rear camera and nothing can be done. There is no plan for BMW to correct or update this - that's not what I would expect from a company like BMW, but I just buy cars, I don't design/make them.

I also forgot to mention a nifty feature of the blurry camera. If you're familiar with rear cameras, you know there are "guide" lines that show you the path behind you as you move in reverse. In this version, the lines will curve as you turn the wheel to show you're projected path as well. Except for clarity of actual objects, the curving pathway is very nice!

Like the 5 sedan, the heated front seats can be adjust to direct more heat to the back or the botton of the seat (I prefer the back - who want's swamp a$$!).

And for my final report - here's a nifty trick which I believe applies to all current BMWs. I find the direction (NSEW) in the rearview mirror to be annoying, especially when I see it in NAV. So, if you want to hide the direction from the mirror, you'll notice there's a small hole underneath the rearview mirror on the right hand side. Stick a paperclip or pen in there for a few seconds, the light will go out. If you check your manual, it will give you further details/instructions on how to use this button to make additional modifications to the direction indicator in the rearview mirror. My salesman was impressed when I showed him this trick (it's in the book!) - but he agrees with me and assured me he would do the same in his 1 series.

More to come as my driving continues!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 07:26 PM   #11
chuck92103
Major
Rep

Anyone notice the windshield wipers are loud? Fortunately it does rain too often here.

i agree about the tailgate. They should have used sensors to detect objects. And it does close rather quickly.

As far as the windows go. If you have CA, you can touch the top of the door handle and all the doors will lock and windows/sunroof will close.
      06-04-2008, 07:41 PM   #12
kylemanta
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I do have Comfort Access and do like the feature to close by touching - I was just hoping they would have added that to the remote and dash button. The closing speed and apparent lack of a sensor are serious risks though, especially if kids are nearby. BMW - since you check this forum - this should be correct at not charge and quickly to minimize injury!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 07:49 PM   #13
chuck92103
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylemanta View Post
I do have Comfort Access and do like the feature to close by touching - I was just hoping they would have added that to the remote and dash button. The closing speed and apparent lack of a sensor are serious risks though, especially if kids are nearby. BMW - since you check this forum - this should be correct at not charge and quickly to minimize injury!
I don't think it is any unsafer than using the manual hatch. Either way you need to watch what you are doing. The sensors that Lexus and others have are a nice feature but BMW's lawyers let them build the X6 without them. I suspect the X5 is the same way.
      06-05-2008, 12:45 PM   #14
cheaptrick
cheap
Rep
Drives: 335CIC & 35i X6

Thanks for your review kylemanta. Just curious did you think the x6 felt as fast a v8 x5? Do you notice any lag as compared to your 335? We are on the same page as I have a 335 vert and have a x6 on order. I think the vert is a rocket, but am wonder how it compares to x6. What color are your cars? Cheap
      06-05-2008, 12:57 PM   #15
chuck92103
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheaptrick View Post
Thanks for your review kylemanta. Just curious did you think the x6 felt as fast a v8 x5? Do you notice any lag as compared to your 335? We are on the same page as I have a 335 vert and have a x6 on order. I think the vert is a rocket, but am wonder how it compares to x6. What color are your cars? Cheap
From experience, I can say comfort wise, the X6 is better than the 1/3/5/6. X3, and X5. I have driven them all but the X6 is so smooth, grips well, and does not have the body roll of the X5.

Performance wise, yes the TT can do 0-60 just as fast as the V8 X5. However, the V8 in the X5 will pull better above 60MPH due to having more torgue. The drawback is the gas mileage on the X5 V8 is about 20-30% less.

I have not driven a new 7 series. However I have driven most other BMW models and overall nothing drives as good as the X6. An amazing vehicle. What kills the 3 series for me is the crappy ride. Even the E46 330 I had did not drive all that well and it did not even have run flats but I still felt every stinkin bump in the road.

If you want some performance, a lot of comfort, all the gadgets of a 5/6/7 series, higher ride, etc. the X6 is for you. I considered a 335 vert, but for $60k loaded, I would rather have an X6 for $65k pretty well loaded that is a lot more practical and comfortable.
      06-05-2008, 04:45 PM   #16
kylemanta
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

355 - montego blue / black
X6 - space grey / black

The 335 definitely is more responsive, faster. And I'm counting the miles (looking for 2500-3000), then I'm getting the Dinan Stage 2 Performance upgrade. It takes it to 384hp and 420 torque. My friend has it in his 335 coupe, loves it. It's amazing and from what I'm told from BMW and Dinan, it doesn't void the warranty. Don't get me wrong, there are advantages to the X6, but I was spoiled by my last convertible (06 Z4) and love the 335. It's a perfect combination really. Everyone who has seen the X6 loves it - and seriously - the 20" Y spoke wheels are the way to go! Totally makes the look more impressive from every angle. Like it or hate it, the X6 stands out in a overpopulated auto market - not quote SUV, not quite crossover, a unique and progressive blend of everything.

One note - taking it in for service this weekend. Noticing some slow starts which makes me think fuel injectors (service guys thinking the same), so I'll keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2008, 02:02 AM   #17
Mr_X6
Mr_NYC
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 X6 Black on Black

My x6 Review

I've had my X6 for almost a month now and i absolutely love the car. i have a black on black with all options except the heads up display, premium sound (which i wish i got because of the ipod integration) and the running boards. The car rides great. I have the sport package with the 20in wheels and it rides nice not as hard as my 03 fx35. The car is quick with occasional lag. This vehicle is a head tuner. Everywhere i go I get compliments and get lots of attention. i have never seen another one on the road besides mine. Just a few things i noticed the rearview camera is just ok....its absolutely useless in the night time. Having the sensor on the same screen as the camera is a nice touch though. If u dont have the premium sound but have the rear dvd pkg the screen swivels around to the front but shuts off if u face it to the front. So u cant watch it from the front even if u are parked. In my opinion the car doesnt have enough gadgets for a car at this price. Also there is nothing to hold onto on the top of the passenger side door.. a foolish omission. Overall i absolutely love this car. its my first BMW.

PS. I get about 17.1 mpg avg.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2008, 10:34 AM   #18
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_X6 View Post
I've had my X6 for almost a month now and i absolutely love the car. i have a black on black with all options except the heads up display, premium sound (which i wish i got because of the ipod integration) and the running boards. The car rides great. I have the sport package with the 20in wheels and it rides nice not as hard as my 03 fx35. The car is quick with occasional lag. This vehicle is a head tuner. Everywhere i go I get compliments and get lots of attention. i have never seen another one on the road besides mine. Just a few things i noticed the rearview camera is just ok....its absolutely useless in the night time. Having the sensor on the same screen as the camera is a nice touch though. If u dont have the premium sound but have the rear dvd pkg the screen swivels around to the front but shuts off if u face it to the front. So u cant watch it from the front even if u are parked. In my opinion the car doesnt have enough gadgets for a car at this price. Also there is nothing to hold onto on the top of the passenger side door.. a foolish omission. Overall i absolutely love this car. its my first BMW.

PS. I get about 17.1 mpg avg.
Mr X6, Nice writeup! I'm glad you are enjoying your new X6. Thanks for posting! PalBay
      06-09-2008, 03:45 PM   #19
kylemanta
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

UPDATE: BMW service identified errors in the computer regarding the fuel pump so they ordered a new one. That should fix the start problems (which occurred about 1/3 of starts).

The car just turns heads - people stop in the middle of the road to look at it parked in front of my house. Love it!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 06:12 PM   #20
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylemanta View Post
UPDATE: BMW service identified errors in the computer regarding the fuel pump so they ordered a new one. That should fix the start problems (which occurred about 1/3 of starts).

The car just turns heads - people stop in the middle of the road to look at it parked in front of my house. Love it!

Are you referring to problems with your X6 or 335? I may have overlooked a previous post where you mentioned this. If so, sorry.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 06:56 AM   #21
kylemanta
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

X6 - about 1/3 of the starts were very slow, like it wouldn't turn over. The computer recorded "errors" with the fuel pump and the dealership said they should have a new pump today (had it 1 week today). New cars have issues, but I'm still perfectly happy about the purchase. The 335 is doing just fine, only 2 weeks older than the x6. My biggest challenge is counting the miles for the break-in period to expire!
Appreciate 0