XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

03-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #89
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imso0flyy23 View Post
Where did u see this on bmwusa.com? Because i still dont see you can build it yet
This thread has the pricing and options list from BMW
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=650795

But, you are correct, I always like to wait til the build your own is up because sometimes adding one thing discounts another. Note for the 2012s I don't think it was up until mid April of 2011.

Yet it appears that there is no more Sport Package - just the old Sports Activity Package (which never came with Adaptive Drive) and the new M Sport Package (which does not appear to include Adaptive Drive - even though it is still $4K plus). So you have to add the Sports Activity Package ($1,900/$1,400) and then the Dynamic Handling Package $4,300. So no savings at all now.

A tip here - if you want HUD (and it is a GREAT option), just get it. Don't get the technology package. The side view cameras are worthless (unless you pull out of parking garages all the time) and the automatic high-beams are a gimmick. My 2 cents...
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 03:38 PM   #90
Pex5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 X5 4.8i

I'm still confused....

Regarding the M performance package. The bulletin says it has everything the prior sport pack had plus XYZ... So it has adaptive drive.

And that's a problem for me..

This is a touchy subject on the boards, but adaptive drive IMHO sucks. I had it on the 550 sport and it was great. But on our X5 the sport suspension is too damn hard and that's what you get with adaptive drive. Notice the "sport suspension delete" on the sport activity package description.

Now my issue is the wheels on the sport activity for 2013. I was so amped that the 13' 3.5i sport (which I have on order) would come with the 336 wheels (on the 2012 X6/X5 5.0). But apparently that's only with the M pack. The regular sport activity car gets the 214s, which are great but have been so for like 5 years now and our current X5 has them... WHEN has there ever been an LCI BMW that continues to use the same wheels !!!!!!!!?????? The 214s have been on the car since spy shots back in 2006 - thats when the ban on flying with toiletries was imposed to put that into perspective!

THIS STINKS. I'm not getting the M pack.. Love the look of it, the steering wheel the rims...cannot tolerate paying for the poor ride quality of adaptive drive (mind you this is a family vehicle).

My2C
DRP
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 04:08 PM   #91
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
United_States
Rep
Drives: very well

Pex, you are mistaken. The M package does not come with adaptive drive. Adaptive drive is now part of the Dynamic Handling package (ZDH) which consists of Adaptive drive and Active Steering. Its a seperate $4300 option. The M performance package (ZMX) is $4400 for the 3.5 and $3900 for the 5.0 and that includes shadowline, sport seats plus the 20 inch wheels, the power bump, anthracite headliner and M steering wheel with paddle shifters
2015 i3-REX

IG @purpleM5Comp_NY
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 08:56 PM   #92
Pex5
Private
Rep

I wish I was wrong

The attached bulletin says the M perf. pack has "the same content as 2012 sport pack". That includes adaptive drive - unfortunately.

Believe me, I''l be happy if that's not the case. I have to decide whether to add it or not.

DRP
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Scan f001.pdf (621.6 KB, 701 views)
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 09:06 PM   #93
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
United_States
Rep

Pex, that document is old. This one is the most recent and the one my dealer used to write my order and enter it into their system. Adaptive drive is not included in the M performance pkg. I know. I ordered a 2013 5.0 and got both. Adaptive drive is bundled with adaptive steering and its called the Dynamic Handling PKG.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 2013x6.pdf (798.9 KB, 944 views)
2015 i3-REX

IG @purpleM5Comp_NY
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 09:16 PM   #94
Pex5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poleposition View Post
Pex, that document is old. This one is the most recent and the one my dealer used to write my order and enter it into their system. Adaptive drive is not included in the M performance pkg. I know. I ordered a 2013 5.0 and got both. Adaptive drive is bundled with adaptive steering and its called the Dynamic Handling PKG.
Cool then. I'm stoked. I was going to retrofit the m sport steering wheel anyway. One last question though...If M perf. does include adaptive drive and you tell your dealer you want the M pack as well as active steering, would't you have to get both packages? (with a discount for the adaptive drive already in the m perf. pack?)

You sound pretty sure, so I'm excited.

Thanks for the info.

Dr.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 09:23 PM   #95
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
United_States
Rep

The M perf pack DOES NOT include adaptive drive. Read the document. Didn't you say you ordered one already? Dealer knows this. They use THIS document.
2015 i3-REX

IG @purpleM5Comp_NY
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 11:02 PM   #96
JeffDaKid3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW i8

when will BMWUSA have build page on it
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 11:05 PM   #97
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pex5 View Post
Regarding the M performance package. The bulletin says it has everything the prior sport pack had plus XYZ... So it has adaptive drive.

And that's a problem for me..

This is a touchy subject on the boards, but adaptive drive IMHO sucks. I had it on the 550 sport and it was great. But on our X5 the sport suspension is too damn hard and that's what you get with adaptive drive. Notice the "sport suspension delete" on the sport activity package description.
I hate to say it, that you are also mistaken...
Unless the X5 is significantly different than the X6, there is no way is has a hard ride. I drove X6s with adaptive drive and 20" wheels and own an X6 with 19" wheels and the ride is far from hard. Nowhere close!

Either
a) something is wrong with your X5
b) you don't have adaptive drive
c) your tires are shot
d) The X5 with adaptive drive drives completely different than the X6 with adaptive drive

I drove an x5 with adaptive drive and the ride was not harsh at all (on Chicago roads). So I think it is a, b, or c. If ever in Chicago, PM me and we can go for a ride with my X6 and figure this out.

PS - Where do you see a sport suspension delete on the 2012 build on bmwusa?

PPS - I notice you have a 2009 X5- I'm guessing that has something to do with it. I can assure you there are very few (if any ) 2010-2012 X6 owners with adaptive drive who think they have a harsh riding vehicle.

PPPS - what year was your 550?

Last edited by doug_999; 03-24-2012 at 11:15 PM.. Reason: added PS
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 12:18 AM   #98
Pex5
Private
Rep

My 550 was an LCI without run flats.

I took the run flats off the X5 @ 18k miles and its still too harsh.

Perhaps I need to clarify my opinion. The ride isn't harsh 24/7. But it can be bone jarring when you go over rough pavement and even some expansion joints on the highway cause an "ouch face" on my wife or I occasionally.

Please don't take offense, I just don't like it for my tastes. The shocks are too stiff.

I run my 911 on track, it's not that I'm averse to stiff suspensions. Its just that these are SUVs not sports cars... The suspension shouldn't crash over sharp bumps. The LCI X5 introduced the sport activity pack. That ride is better suited to my tastes. Just my opinion though.

Also, I personally have noticed that the 08/09 X6 5.0 sport with 20s rides a touch nicer than a similarly equipped 09' X5.

BMW used to have incredible ride quality vs. stiffness. My 01' 740i sport was fantastic. Then they went with run flat technology and have been trying to engineer around the poor ride penalty since. I personally don't value run flats.

Good luck,
DRP
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 08:13 AM   #99
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
My 550 was an LCI without run flats.

I took the run flats off the X5 @ 18k miles and its still too harsh.

Perhaps I need to clarify my opinion. The ride isn't harsh 24/7. But it can be bone jarring when you go over rough pavement and even some expansion joints on the highway cause an "ouch face" on my wife or I occasionally.

Please don't take offense, I just don't like it for my tastes. The shocks are too stiff.

I run my 911 on track, it's not that I'm averse to stiff suspensions. Its just that these are SUVs not sports cars... The suspension shouldn't crash over sharp bumps. The LCI X5 introduced the sport activity pack. That ride is better suited to my tastes. Just my opinion though.

Also, I personally have noticed that the 08/09 X6 5.0 sport with 20s rides a touch nicer than a similarly equipped 09' X5.

BMW used to have incredible ride quality vs. stiffness. My 01' 740i sport was fantastic. Then they went with run flat technology and have been trying to engineer around the poor ride penalty since. I personally don't value run flats.

Good luck,
DRP
I'm not questioning that your ride is not harsh, but it sounds like something is wrong. I have the adaptive drive and there is zero harshness (and I also had a 550 as well with runflats). The X6 is by FAR smoother. I do remember driving the previous X5 and noted the same harshness you speak of (hated it).

However, I don't believe that Adaptive Drive has ever been available on the 5 series. ARS is, but I think that is just the front suspension. I could be wrong?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 05:32 PM   #100
Pex5
Private
Rep

you make a good point....

The 550 had ARS which is the hydraulic anti-roll bar (front and rear). That's only part of adaptive drive. The other part is the variable shocks (which the 550 didn't have - thank god). I believe its these shocks that I have an issue with. That's why I liked the 550s ride and handling, but not so much with our X5.

Thing is...I did my homework and All X6s (from 08' onward) with adaptive drive use the same part number shock absorbers.

If you could order the ARS by itself I would.

We have active steering now, and that I think is great for an SUV particularly. I wish that was a stand alone option.

April 16 is around the corner. With any luck car should be in by 1st week in May

regards, DRP
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 07:51 AM   #101
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
The 550 had ARS which is the hydraulic anti-roll bar (front and rear). That's only part of adaptive drive. The other part is the variable shocks (which the 550 didn't have - thank god). I believe its these shocks that I have an issue with. That's why I liked the 550s ride and handling, but not so much with our X5.

Thing is...I did my homework and All X6s (from 08' onward) with adaptive drive use the same part number shock absorbers.

regards, DRP
That just doesn't make sense.. If the shock's are variable, how would they not be "softer" than the standard ones when not in sport mode. My point here is that you continue to say the issue is with Adaptive Drive and I disagree with this. Either a) something is wrong with your X5 or b) for some strange reason, the X5 with Adaptive Drive rides worse than the one without (once again, this would not make sense). This board is filled with people (ok, I've only read X6 owners for the most part) who say Adaptive Drive actually makes things smoother (something I would have to agree with - mostly because my X6 rides really smooth). I really think you need to find a dealer with an X5 with adaptive drive and one without (was pretty easy when I was looking) and test drive them both back to back. I'm curious what you find. Like I said, I'll bet something is wrong with your X5.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 07:55 AM   #102
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
United_States
Rep

Agreed.
2015 i3-REX

IG @purpleM5Comp_NY
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 01:34 PM   #103
Pex5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
That just doesn't make sense.. If the shock's are variable, how would they not be "softer" than the standard ones when not in sport mode. My point here is that you continue to say the issue is with Adaptive Drive and I disagree with this. Either a) something is wrong with your X5 or b) for some strange reason, the X5 with Adaptive Drive rides worse than the one without (once again, this would not make sense). This board is filled with people (ok, I've only read X6 owners for the most part) who say Adaptive Drive actually makes things smoother (something I would have to agree with - mostly because my X6 rides really smooth). I really think you need to find a dealer with an X5 with adaptive drive and one without (was pretty easy when I was looking) and test drive them both back to back. I'm curious what you find. Like I said, I'll bet something is wrong with your X5.
The answer to your question is that Adaptive drive is truly a performance oriented option. It's not a best of both worlds offering. Instead of putting plain stiff suspension on the X cars, BMW came up with adaptive drive which allows them loosen the springs a bit (this is why despite the roll free cornering, an adapt. drive X will still compress a bit when you hit a dip at highway speeds) and ARS will compensate in corners. The AD also uses a sport pack caliber shock that is variable and can go from stiff to slightly less stiff using all the sensors/computers. Lets face it you hardly notice a difference with sport on or off....The transmission shift points and throttle response changes are more apparent. The shock absorber settings - not so much. AD is 100% a driver's option. Its modernized/computerized sport suspension plain and simple. Non adaptive drive cars in the U.S. are WITHOUT EXCEPTION better riding cars as they have softer springs, shocks and anti sway bars. The non-AD cars roll slightly in corners and are usually equipped with all seasons so handling comparisons are skewed. I'm sorry if it comes as a shock (couldn't resist) that the adaptive ride is essentially a one dimensional sport suspension, but that much is certain from experience in multiple E70s and E71s with all sizes of wheels and suspension options.

Aside from the 3 separate oil leaks we've had with the 4.8, there is nothing "wrong" with our X5.

DRP

Last edited by Pex5; 03-28-2012 at 01:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 02:05 PM   #104
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Non adaptive drive cars are without exception better riding cars
DRP
Sorry Pex but I believe you to be wayyy off base here. I must agree with Doug. From BMW's own explanation of Adaptive Drive "Adaptive Drive with Electronic Damping Control settings ensures a smooth ride, providing unsurpassed dynamics, comfort and safety. Body roll is reduced and steering is optimized." I too have owned many different BMW's over the years. 12 to be exact. First X6 being built in a few weeks. Ive driven many BMW's with adaptive drive AND without. If you have the ability to be in tune with a car and recognize its handling characteristics, its an obvious difference. Your feelings are an opinion and I'm sure you truly believe what you write here. A better understanding of exactly what adaptive drive does for these cars may help you better understand how silly some of your comments sound. Nevertheless, its all good. We obviously all love our BMW's.

All the best and good luck with your new X6

Start here: Adaptive Drive it will help.
2015 i3-REX

IG @purpleM5Comp_NY
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 05:10 PM   #105
Pex5
Private
Rep

[QUOTE=Poleposition;11638735]From BMW's own explanation of Adaptive Drive "Adaptive Drive with Electronic Damping Control settings ensures a smooth ride, providing unsurpassed dynamics, comfort and safety. Body roll is reduced and steering is optimized."

don't be a victim to the hype...

Seriously though, what I've said is not inconsistent with the BMW materials. They are boasting about being able to create a previously non-existent degree of comfort in what is actually a sport suspension (which is why it came on the sport package).

To use an analogy... AD is like a V8 that shuts off cylinders on the highway to get much better gas mileage than most V8s. But it still uses more gas than a 6 cylinder. Using this analogy, it seems that you are of the opinion that the best scenario is the AD V8 since the small mileage penalty is outweighed by the additional power. I'm right there with you, but the 6 still uses less gas, just like a non AD ride is still more comfy.

Non AD cars are softer. They don't "adapt". They stay that way. AD cars use technology to deliver flat cornering without using race track stiff components, but its still a stiffer ride than a non AD car. Smooth yes - absolutely. Soft, not really.

Personally, I would never want a BMW w/out a sport pack. If the X6 were to be my car, I'd get adaptive drive because I value handling over ride quality. But its a family car and the ride of the sport activity pack is perfect. Not too soft, but less crashy over bumps than the AD suspension even on 20 inch run flats.

DRP

Last edited by Pex5; 03-28-2012 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #106
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
United_States
Rep

Pex, its software. The shocks are the same.
2015 i3-REX

IG @purpleM5Comp_NY
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 05:14 PM   #107
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
United_States
Rep

There arent AD specific shocks and non-AD shocks.
2015 i3-REX

IG @purpleM5Comp_NY
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 05:16 PM   #108
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
United_States
Rep

There are sport pkg suspension components and non sport pkg suspension components. It has nothing to do with AD. If you ordered the sport pkg because you wanted a softer ride, you ordered wrong. If you want a softer ride, dont get the sport pkg.
2015 i3-REX

IG @purpleM5Comp_NY
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 05:27 PM   #109
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

This is interesting...

This thread...
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...t=ride+quality

There are several comments from people saying their X6 is far more comfortable than their X5 (they don't state the year/options of their X5), but several make the same comments that Pex5 is making about their X5. Interesting the only person who says their X6 doesn't ride great is a person without AD.

Pex5, I really think you need to go drive an X6. As crazy as it sounds (and it doesn't make sense to me), it certainly seems like the X6 rides better than the X5 - especially when the X6 has Adaptive Drive (AD).
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 12:57 PM   #110
Stargunz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

hi team,

just checking status when do we expect delivery for 2013 model? Last i heard this would be during the NY auto show that manufacturing will start that would be around 15th of April does that still hold true?
Appreciate 0