XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

05-28-2011, 06:38 AM   #1
aa1075
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X6

Navigation Question

Which Route Preference choice are people happiest with - Fastest, Efficient, or Shortest? I drive between northern NJ and NYC frequently and have been using the Fastest mode. I find that it sometimes takes me off highways too soon and onto very busy streets (I'm using the dynamic guidance as well). I don't think that it accounts for traffic or red lights on streets. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
somonster
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: honda, bmw

i miss my garminhttp://www.xbimmers.com/forums/index.php

I've had similar frustration with my 2012 x6 nav "logic."
Graphics are awesome, but none of the route preferences (with different combinations of highway / toll-road check box options) are consistently even CLOSE to optimal. Off-ramp and surface street selection is a mess.

I've driven around here for over 25years running now, and my 3yearold portable windshield-suction-cup Garmin has an uncanny way of picking almost my exact preferred routes. The Garmin seems to have better "intuition" about long red lights, busy streets, and crowded left-turn intersections.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 07:50 PM   #3
GJM
Xdrive
Australia
Rep
Drives: X6 35d/X5 3d

I find the shortest route to be the best option for our travels, quickest usually isn't.
      05-29-2011, 08:12 AM   #4
skim175
Private
Rep
Drives: X-drive

Traffic info seems to factor in only from HW traffic not from local streets. That's why it will take you to the busy local streets. I once used the shortest and it does not factor in speed limit so it asked me to get off the high way immediately. I just use the fastest only and then monitor the real time traffic info to decide whether I want to get off HW to avoid a traffic. Then I get back onto the highway.

I agree with somonster. I always have a better luck with an independent unit than BMW dash unit. My 3-4year old TomTom or Garmin units have an option to add how much detour I want to take 1, 2, 5, or 10 miles (not exactly sure with numbers). So based on real time traffic info I decide 1 or 5 miles away from HW and get back on.
Appreciate 0