XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-30-2014, 01:12 PM   #1
007_e350
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 2008 MHD'd / x5d E70

E70 x5d with 255/55/18s

Our car came with non-staggered 255/55/18s on 209s or 210s ... If I switch out to the sport pack wheels 214s, with 275/40/20 fronts, 315/35/20 rear would the ride get insainly bumpy ? (Thats almost 6 tire size increase in the rear - Rolling diameter is within exactly same so Xdrive should be fine) - Also weight wise is the tire+wheel heavier than 18s ?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 01:54 PM   #2
troymi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i Convertible

I'm sure you'll get a lot of opinions on this, so I'll chime in first.

Rough ride? It depends what 20" tires you use. People claim all non-runflats will likely be better than your 18" runflats. See Conti DWS or Nitto Motivo threads. If you put OEM runflats on, you will definitely notice a more harsh ride. Firmer, and likely a lot of thuds in the suspension.

Weight? Again, runflats or no? Runflats are much heavier than non-runflats. Check Tire Rack specs and look at the weight difference. The wheels will weigh more also.

Personal note: I had and X5d also without the sport pack. I added fender flares (required with 20s or it will not look right) and got M Sport wheel/tire package from a member. I got the 19" style 223 though, not 20". The ride was ok going from the 209 18" wheels. It seemed to be firm but nothing crazy.

Then I traded it for an M Sport with the 20" wheel package. The ride was so much better than the diesel without sport package. I don't know if there is suspension tuning involved (spring rate? dampers?) but I just want you to know from a person that did the same thing you are looking to do that the ride is not the same from vehicle to vehicle by just changing wheels/tires. Our M Sport is firm for sure, but no suspension jolts like we had in the diesel when I changed up the wheels/tires.

FWIW.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 02:40 PM   #3
007_e350
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymi View Post
I'm sure you'll get a lot of opinions on this, so I'll chime in first.

Rough ride? It depends what 20" tires you use. People claim all non-runflats will likely be better than your 18" runflats. See Conti DWS or Nitto Motivo threads. If you put OEM runflats on, you will definitely notice a more harsh ride. Firmer, and likely a lot of thuds in the suspension.

Weight? Again, runflats or no? Runflats are much heavier than non-runflats. Check Tire Rack specs and look at the weight difference. The wheels will weigh more also.

Personal note: I had and X5d also without the sport pack. I added fender flares (required with 20s or it will not look right) and got M Sport wheel/tire package from a member. I got the 19" style 223 though, not 20". The ride was ok going from the 209 18" wheels. It seemed to be firm but nothing crazy.

Then I traded it for an M Sport with the 20" wheel package. The ride was so much better than the diesel without sport package. I don't know if there is suspension tuning involved (spring rate? dampers?) but I just want you to know from a person that did the same thing you are looking to do that the ride is not the same from vehicle to vehicle by just changing wheels/tires. Our M Sport is firm for sure, but no suspension jolts like we had in the diesel when I changed up the wheels/tires.

FWIW.
good feedback - thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 03:20 PM   #4
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymi View Post

FWIW.
I agree on the M Sport w/ 20's. We've only had this one X5 so I don't have another model/wheel setup to compare, but the OEM 20's even with the OEM runflats (not my choice, that's what was on the vehicle when I bought it used) is plenty smooth enough for us.

There is some subjectivity here as well, and location (roads) surely makes a difference.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 05:45 PM   #5
007_e350
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Is it possible to replace the suspension (springs / shocks) with that of M-sport and get the same feel on 20s ? I think its not as easy to swap but lets hear from the gurus
Appreciate 0