XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-30-2014, 02:07 PM   #1
pughmat
Rep
Drives: 2009 X5 4.8

Brake Lamp Malfunction

I have, like others, a brake lamp malfunction. I've been talking to the dealer to see if they will cover it under CPO and their first thought was no, but I sent in a picture and they are double checking to be sure. If not, is this a DIY project? I'm by no means a mechanic or an electrician, but I can follow instructions if available. Has anyone had success with the CPO route?

In my case, all of the bulbs appear fine. It's the smaller bulb at the top that is not working. When checking it out, I can see the cracked and charred (browned) housing around the area of the bulb that isn't working. There is actually a another crack and a missing piece as well (the red taillight is shining through it in the pic)

Let me know your thoughts. (See attached) Name:  rearsmallbulb.jpg
Views: 1133
Size:  117.3 KB

Thanks,

Matt
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 03:59 PM   #2
bowler_1
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 E70 X5 4.0D M Sport

Brake Light Malfunction

My immediate reaction is, that unless some kind of overrated bulbs are being used, this must surely be a big fire risk .
Surely BMW should be very interested in an issue like this and be looking to resolve it as a matter of urgency. I would definitely pursue this in no uncertain terms !!!!
Be interesting to see if any one else has had similar issues.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 08:00 PM   #3
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

Its not an over rated bulb, it happened a lot on the pre-lci models. BMW had a firmware update for the FRM to lower the voltage sent to the bulb, but I can't remember what the SIB was.

If thats the right side tail light, I have a perfectly good one that I will sell you for $125 shipped. I have the left side too, but it has a burn mark and crack like yours, just without the piece missing

Last edited by blue dragon; 10-01-2014 at 08:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 03:13 PM   #4
pughmat
Rep

hazard indeed...

I with you on the hazard. I'm still waiting to hear back on what the warranty dept says at the dealer. I've read other sites where some say no lighting is covered and where bulbs aren't covered, but assembly issues are covered. The CPO warranty is a shifty animal. Will update this thread for others in the future when I know for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowler_1 View Post
My immediate reaction is, that unless some kind of overrated bulbs are being used, this must surely be a big fire risk .
Surely BMW should be very interested in an issue like this and be looking to resolve it as a matter of urgency. I would definitely pursue this in no uncertain terms !!!!
Be interesting to see if any one else has had similar issues.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 03:16 PM   #5
pughmat
Rep

Maybe?

I need to wait and see what the dealer comes back with on coverage for it, but if not I might be interested in yours as it is the right side. Is your part new or used? If used, I'd guess it may have the same issue which might scare me off. I see them for $167 new (pelican parts). Perhaps I need to double check if they performed the update as well.

Do you know if this is an easy install at home?

Thanks for the information!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
Its not an over rated bulb, it happened a lot on the pre-lci models. BMW had a firmware update for the FRM to lower the voltage sent to the bulb, but I can't remember what the SIB was.

If thats the right side tail light, I have a perfectly good one that I will sell you for $125 shipped. I have the left side too, but it has a burn mark and crack like yours, just without the piece missing
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 05:17 PM   #6
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

Its a used part, with no burn marks. Its the passenger side light. Its a DIY install, remove 3 nuts and unplug the harness.

I have it listed on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261614195713...witem=&vxp=mtr