XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > X6 Engine / Exhaust / Drivetrain Modification

03-21-2009, 11:27 PM   #1
Fantasm
Lieutenant
Algeria
Rep
Drives: SL63

No performance upgrades yet? ECU tuning?

Hi,

I've just discovered that the X6 Twin Turbo has been out for about 6 months now, completely forgot about it.
I went to see one today and its nice, but has anyone developed some ECU tuning for it yet to upgrade the horse power?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 06:27 AM   #2
m3_p0wer
Private
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

We have one here in uae,abudhabi a garage called PPP performance he do ecu tuning for the x6 he said he can upgrade it to 370 HP and 520NM.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 02:20 PM   #3
MeEmZ
Doctor in the making
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: 08 X6 35i

juice box will have one ready for the 35i soon and the good news is that it's a PnP
      03-23-2009, 11:10 AM   #4
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

For performance tuning see Dinan, they've done it for years for street and race.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 07:12 PM   #5
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
For performance tuning see Dinan, they've done it for years for street and race.
They do not have anything available yet. Hopefully in a few more months.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 09:14 PM   #6
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenard View Post
If I was going to have my X6 tuned Dinan is the only one I would trust to do it.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 11:13 PM   #7
shenard
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
If I was going to have my X6 tuned Dinan is the only one I would trust to do it.
+1. I would not go with anyone that doesn't stand behind the factory warranty if they do performance mods. BMW has come a long way in detecting whether people have added performance mods such as piggybacks, ECU flashes, etc. and I would not want to having my warranty voided by adding performance.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 03:23 AM   #8
Fantasm
Lieutenant
Algeria
Rep
Drives: SL63

I'm not worried about that. I will definitely not be using Dinan as their tunes are always on the conservative side and thats just not me.

BurgerTuning is good, I used to have a 335i and I've met him personally a few times when he installed it on my 335i and then at a drag strip. If he comes out with an X6 piggyback then I'm definitely game for his product.

I'm waiting for the X6 M to be available and will be getting that modded. 650-700HP would be nice.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 08:10 AM   #9
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
I have read that any tuned BMW turbo is detected and recorded via iDrive now. So even if you remove the chip before going to the dealer they wil know the engine has been altered and void the warranty.

Beware. Dinan or not, you may be out of luck should you run into engine issues.
      03-24-2009, 07:17 PM   #10
shenard
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
I have read that any tuned BMW turbo is detected and recorded via iDrive now. So even if you remove the chip before going to the dealer they wil know the engine has been altered and void the warranty.

Beware. Dinan or not, you may be out of luck should you run into engine issues.
That is correct. Their latest Progman update on the 335i and all models can now detect whether or not a piggy back has even been installed and they are voiding a lot of warranties as a result of this. My service director said that BMW has already voided about 12 BMW owners warranties at my dealers because they had a tune of some nature and one guy had to fork out over $6k because his turbo was blown on 335i. These engines are so complex and with the computers as advanced as they are, I personally would not get a tune unless I knew I had backing by a group like Dinan. Better a little conservative and safe with increased power than trying to max your power increase to the limit and risk a lot of potential headaches and out of pocket expenses.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 07:46 PM   #11
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
That is correct. Their latest Progman update on the 335i and all models can now detect whether or not a piggy back has even been installed and they are voiding a lot of warranties as a result of this. My service director said that BMW has already voided about 12 BMW owners warranties at my dealers because they had a tune of some nature and one guy had to fork out over $6k because his turbo was blown on 335i. These engines are so complex and with the computers as advanced as they are, I personally would not get a tune unless I knew I had backing by a group like Dinan. Better a little conservative and safe with increased power than trying to max your power increase to the limit and risk a lot of potential headaches and out of pocket expenses.
+1

The last thing you want is to have to fork over a couple of $1000 bills for the 'extra' Hp that some other mods promise.
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 11:22 AM   #12
Kojak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-Sport

But Dinan isn't going to be able to release their tune for the X6 unless someone lends them a car to validate it on!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 04:16 PM   #13
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojak View Post
But Dinan isn't going to be able to release their tune for the X6 unless someone lends them a car to validate it on!
Not only that, but if you go with Dinan, any engine trouble you have to go back to Dinan for repairs. Make sure you are close to a Dinan shop. I think there are three in the U.S.
      03-25-2009, 05:54 PM   #14
Kojak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Are you sure its necessary to go back to Dinan and that a Dinan dealer who is also a BMW dealer isn't sufficient? I read a post somewhere that the BMW dealer that installed the poster's Dinan software promised to take care of any future warranty allocations between BMW and Dinan.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 08:42 PM   #15
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
Not only that, but if you go with Dinan, any engine trouble you have to go back to Dinan for repairs. Make sure you are close to a Dinan shop. I think there are three in the U.S.
Actually from what Steve Dinan said to me " you can take it in to any Dinan dealership and have it taken care of". I checked and there are a lot of them across the country.

There are three Dinan service centers (Morgan Hill is development shop) in the bay area but you can plug in a zip code for just about any state on their web page and find authorized dealers. http://www.dinancars.com/bmw/dinan-service-centers
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 10:13 AM   #16
shenard
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Steve Dinan told me about a month ago that they already have a 50i and their tune should be out in a few months. Still testing to make sure there are no long term issues
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 10:45 AM   #17
Kojak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Did he say anything about a 35i?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 10:37 AM   #18
shenard
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Did he say anything about a 35i?
Not sure about the 35i. I would guess he would have that out sooner because he already has one for 335 and 135 and it is same engine but I am not sure. I didn't ask him whether or not he had a test vehicle for the 35i because I own the 50i
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 08:14 AM   #19
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

Quote:
1 guy...
I heard about 1 guy that got pregnant and gave birth... Oh that's right it was a girl.. Hearsay is crap.. If all of the piggybacks were so detectable they would be out of business.. as far as I can see.. they are THRIVING. I personally removed every modification from my car having only 3 months left on my car. I drove it modded for over 2 years and never once ran into a single warranty related problem. I was smart, I took proper care of my car and never abused it. At its maximum dyno test it pushed over 400 WHP and WTQ.. It has also ran in the low 12's at the track. I am 1 guy who did not have a single issue. (Besides 3 HPFPs, but my first one went before I put a single modification on the car) Based solely on numbers my story is as valuable as the 1 guy who blew his turbos and had to pay.

and btw BMW doesn't VOID warranties. They Flag them.. when they are flagged the car has to be returned to its original state at the owners expense before the warranty can be reinstated. It is illegal to void the warranty. If you are reading this and your warranty has supposedly been voided send me a PM I will forward you to a lawyer who will help you get the compensation you deserve. It has also been a problem at BMW dealers that they tell their clients their warranty is "voided" when in fact they are flagged and they suck their clients dry by forcing them to pay for services that should otherwise be covered under warranty. All the while, knowing they can remove the flag when the car is returned to stock form. But I guess that would be bad business?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 11:28 AM   #20
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGarbagePrince View Post
1 guy...
I heard about 1 guy that got pregnant and gave birth... Oh that's right it was a girl.. Hearsay is crap.. If all of the piggybacks were so detectable they would be out of business.. as far as I can see.. they are THRIVING. I personally removed every modification from my car having only 3 months left on my car. I drove it modded for over 2 years and never once ran into a single warranty related problem. I was smart, I took proper care of my car and never abused it. At its maximum dyno test it pushed over 400 WHP and WTQ.. It has also ran in the low 12's at the track. I am 1 guy who did not have a single issue. (Besides 3 HPFPs, but my first one went before I put a single modification on the car) Based solely on numbers my story is as valuable as the 1 guy who blew his turbos and had to pay.

and btw BMW doesn't VOID warranties. They Flag them.. when they are flagged the car has to be returned to its original state at the owners expense before the warranty can be reinstated. It is illegal to void the warranty. If you are reading this and your warranty has supposedly been voided send me a PM I will forward you to a lawyer who will help you get the compensation you deserve. It has also been a problem at BMW dealers that they tell their clients their warranty is "voided" when in fact they are flagged and they suck their clients dry by forcing them to pay for services that should otherwise be covered under warranty. All the while, knowing they can remove the flag when the car is returned to stock form. But I guess that would be bad business?
So what you are saying is that you can mod a car (that is still under warranty), blow the engine to bits, remove the mod to bring the car back to stock and get the engine either fixed or replaced all under warranty even though the damage was caused by something that is NOT covered by the warranty?

Especially if they know that you modded the car???

I find that hard to believe!
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 10:57 PM   #21
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGarbagePrince View Post
1 guy...

My car called home and wanted an oil change, I arranged to take in first thing in the morning ( they have a nice little coffee shop and they give you chips to pay for things) and wait while they did it. I got coffee and a roll , broke out my laptop and "went to work".
A couple of the service guys came an and "I" over heard them saying that BMW was able to detect when a car had been modified. From what i gathered someone had brought in a car that was having a reduced power issue and diagnostics showed that an "external box" (that's how they referred to it) had been attached to it at some point ( apparently it wasn't attached now).

So if you are going to do this at all you better go with someone that will give you some kind of warranty. in these economic times I suspect BMW may crack down just to save themselves some money. In the US for these kind of mods Magnuson-Moss will not protect you.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 08:38 PM   #22
BG1
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6m

just had my 2010 x6 tuned

I can't believe the results. Not only did the tune work great , They also gave me the option of removing the speed limiter. I can forward to anybody who's interested a pic of my speedo at 174 mph. I haven't dynoed the car, don't have to. It is way faster than my buddys. He's getting his done next.
If you took a ride in my ride you wouldn't think. twice.

Last edited by BG1; 07-29-2010 at 08:50 PM..
Appreciate 0