XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-20-2015, 11:58 PM   #1
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Any ways to hide the hitch?

I just came from an E53 into an E70 recently, and while I'm happy it came pre-installed, I wish the cutout wasn't so HUGE!

When I did the aftermarket hitch on my E53, I notched the factory cover so only the receiver and a sliver of the chain loops were exposed, then finished it off with a hitch plug.

I was browsing another thread and saw how someone had vinyl wrapped their bumper to make a poor mans CF insert around the tips. I thought if there would be a way to notch the CF insert itself around the hitch, but that's a $700 piece (http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...104067&alt=web) I don't wanna screw up with an idea that might not pan out. Any other suggestions to make the hitch blend in more?
Attached Images

Last edited by m5james; 08-21-2015 at 12:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 11:10 AM   #2
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Well it wouldn't be cost effective since you already have a hitch installed, but some of us have installed the Execuhitch - with this setup there is no bumper cutting and the receiver is only visible when in use. When not in the use the receiver portion is removable.

Okay so I don't think you're gonna buy an entire new hitch setup, so your options are pretty limited. Even if you bought the rear diffuser you linked to, I don't think it would fit properly - isn't the receiver sticking out too far? Is it the OEM hitch, do you know? I think it must be if the bumper is cut
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 03:51 PM   #3
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M, X5 50i Msport, EscaHoe

I remember seeing a thread a while ago on a vertical hitch that required no cutting in the rear diffuser area...If I recall correctly, it may have been the Execuhitch like jiggz mentioned
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 09:43 PM   #4
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
Well it wouldn't be cost effective since you already have a hitch installed, but some of us have installed the Execuhitch - with this setup there is no bumper cutting and the receiver is only visible when in use. When not in the use the receiver portion is removable.

Okay so I don't think you're gonna buy an entire new hitch setup, so your options are pretty limited. Even if you bought the rear diffuser you linked to, I don't think it would fit properly - isn't the receiver sticking out too far? Is it the OEM hitch, do you know? I think it must be if the bumper is cut
Bumper is cut, hitch is already installed...I wanna cover it, but I don't wanna spend $2000+ doing so

Yeah, I mentioned that above...notching the rear diffuser would be an expensive experiment, which I'm not ready to do. I just figured I'd ask.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 09:44 PM   #5
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattivo View Post
I remember seeing a thread a while ago on a vertical hitch that required no cutting in the rear diffuser area...If I recall correctly, it may have been the Execuhitch like jiggz mentioned
Yes, it was. See my reply to Jiggz above.
Appreciate 0