F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > SIB/TSB: BMW will reprogram Auto Start-Stop to default to last user mode
ARMA SPEED

08-13-2012, 02:06 PM   #45
Aquillar
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Cabrio

Good insight, thanks for helping me understand.

Anyone have complaints about the system with a manual transmission?

Take a number
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 02:25 PM   #46
Definitive
definitivecars.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: Elsa - 2015 F80 M3 - YMB/SS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptt127 View Post
Now they just need to do the same for Sport mode...
Forget sport mode, how bout this option for the ///M button...

D
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #47
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

I would love for the sport mode to stay on for my DCT, and for the reduced traction control mode to stay on as well. Pressing all these buttons is like a jet aircraft checkout.
      08-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #48
wolke9
apexlvr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 VW GTI;335i m-sprt ordrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by utnuc View Post
I wonder if the performance center takes special requests like this...
I'd like to know too--since we won't be picking it up @ the dealer. I'd hate to make a special trip just for this-

Wonder if this can be done @ port?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #49
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

I will be having mine coded off by default (or doing it myself) after taking delivery. I haven't done much research, but does anyone know how ASS works for 6MT cars?

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 03:08 PM   #50
sekitori
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquillar View Post
How does it interfere with your regular driving when you do leave it on?
It interferes with my regular driving because my car has stalled twice in traffic the first three weeks I've had the car. I now always shut it off when I start my car. To me, getting slightly better gas mileage does not equate with the possibility of not knowing when I'll have to manually restart the engine but knowing for sure that sooner or later, I will. That possibility occurs not because of anything I've done but because the manufacturer has provided a feature that defaults to a system that occasionally fails to work.

I know that pushing a button to override this feature when I start the car is no big deal. But I do know that I shouldn't even have to do that. For that reason, I definitely want the update to the last user mode.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 03:12 PM   #51
DoD74
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Explain how? It isn't intrusive. How does it interfere with your regular driving when you do leave it on?
It is likely the constant shuddering and "ignition" feel that people find so annoying. If you are in constant stop and go traffic where you accelerate for a moment, then sit, then move forward, then sit... ( and I do that for about an hour each way twice a day) feeling the car start and stop that often I'd lose my mind. Rush hour traffic is annoying enough without adding any more factors into it.
      08-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #52
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Anyone have complaints about the system with a manual transmission?
With a manual it works great, car doesn't shut off until you let the clutch out with the shifter in neutral, like you would at a red light. It restarts as soon as you press clutch in, giving you time to shift into gear and go.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 03:51 PM   #53
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

Thanks for the info, going to have this done to my car as well.
2001 E46 M3 Oxford Green Metallic II-Cinnamon SOLD
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 04:19 PM   #54
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

I found that I was dreading coming to a stop to see how much the engine would shake the car when ASS stops the engine. Sometimes it's as smooth as silk and I think hey, this is great, and then other times it's so violent that I think the engine is going to rip itself out of the mounts. Plus, as was said before, the car lurches when this happens and everyone it the cars feels it.

Same on restart; sometimes it's really smooth, and other times it's really rough. No real pattern.

Then, once, I was in a intersection ASS stalled the engine on restart.

I was stopped in the intersection, ASS kicked in, I let my foot off the brake, and the engine stalled. The iDrive bings with a fault saying that ASS failed, I had to scramble to re-press the brake, push the start button, then press the throttle to go and end up just reving the engine. Looked at the shifter and realized that the car put itself in NEUTRAL! My adrenaline is pumping like crazy while I selected drive while getting honked at by people behind me. This is not something I want to repeat and definitely not something I want my wife to deal with!

So, I coded my car to remember the last ASS setting and I leave the dang thing off; I couldn't be happier. I don't worry about my engine stalling or shaking, or lurching any more.

If BMW can address these issues, I'd be the first to re-enable ASS, but not the way it works now.

Last edited by Frogman; 08-13-2012 at 04:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #55
f30_Vincent
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Sport Line MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
I will be having mine coded off by default (or doing it myself) after taking delivery. I haven't done much research, but does anyone know how ASS works for 6MT cars?
I drive a 6MT and have never pressed the ASS button; it works great. I can see how some people would be annoyed you are just making a stop sign and intend moving on, but the shuts off and instantly back on. On the 6MT you leave the clutch in and its non-intrusive.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 04:42 PM   #56
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30_Vincent View Post
I drive a 6MT and have never pressed the ASS button; it works great. I can see how some people would be annoyed you are just making a stop sign and intend moving on, but the shuts off and instantly back on. On the 6MT you leave the clutch in and its non-intrusive.
I think the 6MT ASS experience is significantly different than for the 8AT.

On the 8AT, it's like the engine is being stopped with the trans still engaged; the feeling reminds me of a MT clutch stall.

You would think that the car would shift to neutral before stopping the engine and re-engage after restarting.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #57
YeaG30
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by utnuc View Post
I wonder if the performance center takes special requests like this...
I take delivery on Friday and asked my CA today if it was possible. He informed me that the PCD would not be able to do that, but that he'd be happy to get it taken care of at the service department as soon as I can bring it in.
      08-13-2012, 06:34 PM   #58
Frankisme
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Alpine White

My 328 is at the dealer getting the last user mod as we speak. They gave me a loaner 528 with autostart. At the first stop light I come to, the whole car shudders on the restart.
I can't wait to pick up my own car and not have to deactivate it every time and never feel that shake again!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 07:29 PM   #59
Drew10
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2005 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankisme View Post
I have an appointment with dealer on Monday to convert my A.S.S. to the last user mode.
It will never come back on again one it's selected off. I can't wait.

Service Bulletin listed below.

SIB 12 15 12

INFORMATION
The Automatic Start/Stop (MSA) system is a further BMW Efficient Dynamics measure aimed at meeting BMW's commitment to reducing CO2 emissions and enhancing fuel economy.

BMW, always a leader in innovative technology, will be the first automobile manufacturer to bring MSA technology to all new models.

Automatic Start/Stop systems will become prevalent in the future, as manufacturers strive to meet increasingly stringent emissions and fuel economy requirements.

By automatically switching the engine off when the car is stationary, MSA can improve fuel economy and reduce emissions.

New F-vehicles now incorporate the second generation of MSA (MSA II), which has been further developed to operate in combination with an automatic transmission and the BN2020 electrical system.

A detailed description of the MSA Automatic Start/Stop function can be found in the ICP Technician library under Technical Training course ST1112.

SITUATION

Some drivers have expressed the desire to deactivate this function in certain situations. This can be done manually via the Automatic Start/Stop function button with the LED switched on, indicating that the start/stop function is deactivated.

However, by default, the Automatic Start/Stop function is reactivated each time the engine is started.

At the request of an owner, it is possible to modify this default logic to "Last user mode."

With this logic, the current MSA's activated or deactivated setting is stored and used on the next trip.

Note: All new BMW M models have the "Last user mode" as the default setting from production.

Nobody commented on the last sentence. Is it old news that the M models will have A.S.S.?
      08-13-2012, 08:39 PM   #60
lawgone
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman
I found that I was dreading coming to a stop to see how much the engine would shake the car when ASS stops the engine. Sometimes it's as smooth as silk and I think hey, this is great, and then other times it's so violent that I think the engine is going to rip itself out of the mounts. Plus, as was said before, the car lurches when this happens and everyone it the cars feels it.

Same on restart; sometimes it's really smooth, and other times it's really rough. No real pattern.

Then, once, I was in a intersection ASS stalled the engine on restart.

I was stopped in the intersection, ASS kicked in, I let my foot off the brake, and the engine stalled. The iDrive bings with a fault saying that ASS failed, I had to scramble to re-press the brake, push the start button, then press the throttle to go and end up just reving the engine. Looked at the shifter and realized that the car put itself in NEUTRAL! My adrenaline is pumping like crazy while I selected drive while getting honked at by people behind me. This is not something I want to repeat and definitely not something I want my wife to deal with!

So, I coded my car to remember the last ASS setting and I leave the dang thing off; I couldn't be happier. I don't worry about my engine stalling or shaking, or lurching any more.

If BMW can address these issues, I'd be the first to re-enable ASS, but not the way it works now.
Wow, this is crazy. And this isn't the first story I've heard like this. It's only by sheer provenance no one has been seriously injured or killed due to this. The fact that they have to program in a message that says "A.S.S. failed" means it shouldn't even be an option. If this were to happen at an intersection in which you are on a slight downhill you may find yourself rolled into the middle of the intersection trying to figure out what's wrong with the car.

BTW, if they can figure this out on golf carts why can't they do it on a $50k car?

P.S. Who read my first sentence and automatically started singing in their head "but here's my number"? Damn that girl. Lol
      08-13-2012, 09:06 PM   #61
Chamberlin
Green Beemers
United_States
Rep
Drives: 27 BMWs...and counting

Garage List
What about cooling issues? Does an electric waterpump keep running during these off periods? Everyone knows that when shutting off a hot car, the temps rise even higher since the water is sitting still 'soaking' up the heat. Here in Arizona it was 114+ today....can't imagine I'd want to sit in stop and go traffic with the already hot engine turning itself off every block, especially since the airflow is virtually nil at 5mph. So now, the battery(ies) are left to run the AC, and engine cooling fan and any other accessories, and then has to crank the motor up every complete stop? Sounds like a heck of a lot of engineering for minor benefit. Get those geniuses working on the real problem.....traffic!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #62
dcshoes23
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman View Post
I think the 6MT ASS experience is significantly different than for the 8AT.

On the 8AT, it's like the engine is being stopped with the trans still engaged; the feeling reminds me of a MT clutch stall.

You would think that the car would shift to neutral before stopping the engine and re-engage after restarting.
I completely agree with you. My previous car was a MT and when I drove the 8AT and stopped at a light for the first time, it felt exactly like stalling the engine, I then realized I was driving auto.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #63
HHHsu2008
United_States
Rep
Drives: Broomstick since 1990

thanks for the insight. I'm glad they're finally building the M-cars with this option activated. If you drive an M, you most likely don't care about that mileage.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 10:23 PM   #64
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnsbrae
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatero View Post
The biggest "complaint" with auto stop/start in BMW's is that it has to crank the motor with the starter when you lift your foot off the brake. And it's pretty "violent" compared to auto stop/start people have experienced in hybrids which use the electric motor to easily restart the motor.

From the MB website:

The engine goes off when the vehicle is stationary and back on again when the brake is released – the ECO start/stop system operates virtually unnoticed by the driver. This is all thanks to complex control functions which run in the background to ensure efficiency, comfort and safety.
How the ECO start/stop system works in detail: as a general principle, the engine is switched off every time the vehicle comes to a standstill (auto-stop function. Restarting the engine (auto-starting function) takes place almost imperceptibly; and moving off without any noticeable time lag compared to a stationary vehicle with its engine running. This rapid action is attributable to two special features: a crankshaft Hall sensor which is able to identify the rotational direction of the crankshaft enables the engine control unit to identify the cylinder in which the piston is ideally positioned for starting. The fuel is injected into this cylinder first, thereby speeding up the starting process. An additional electric transmission oil pump supplies the clutches of the automatic transmission with oil pressure prior to starting, so as to enable a swift resumption of the journey after direct starting of the combustion engine via firing of the spark plug on the ideally positioned cylinder. The starter motor engages briefly, imperceptibly, to complete the auto-start function. The starter motor (starter) has also undergone thorough modification: it is now designed to cope with eight times as many starting procedures, ensuring that it will last a car's lifetime in continuous urban driving involving frequent auto-starting. In addition, the on-board electrical system is supported by a second battery.
Wow.

What a crock of crap. The MB is all vapor ware. (as in fuel vapors) It still relies on the freaking starter; otherwise, why the need to make it 8x stronger? Plus, just like it's 5 o'clock somewhere, one of the bloody cylinders is likely to be under compression when you stop. The MB suggests that the restart is accomplished by zapping the cylinder lined up for firing brings the engine to life with a little hit of fuel and a zap from the spark plugs. But, the MB misrepresentation quickly comes to life when you discover it needs a starter that is 8x ruggedized.

This is like saying an escalator can be used as a set of stairs when its motor stops because the elevator in the next room is on the second floor. It is all doublespeak and ignores the elephant in the room: you still rely upon a bloody starter to start the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 10:52 PM   #65
TrueBlue12
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Imperial 328i

I'm gonna wait until they let us leave the sport/comfort/eco mode in the last default and get it all done together. Pretty sure that's coming.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 10:59 PM   #66
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Here is a question. When i turn the ASS off, it automatically turns on when i put the car in eco mode. But i can still turn it off in eco mode. SO the question is, after i get this update and turn ASS off, will it turn back on in eco mode?