F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > F30 3 Series M Performance Brakes Installed
GetBMWParts

04-12-2016, 09:28 PM   #155
nhinnhuckyduc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328D

Quote:
Originally Posted by microceratops
Hi all, just installed my mperf brake kit yesterday, dealer claims to have bled it 3 times, but it's still soft and spongy.
Is this one of those things that get better with time? Cause I don't like having to drive the pedal in each time I wanna kit the brakes moderately.
I did the install myself and had the same issue I bleed it 15 times myself. I had the dealer bleed it with coding to activate the actuator and get all the air out the system. After this the brake feel how it should
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 08:39 PM   #156
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhinnhuckyduc
Quote:
Originally Posted by microceratops
Hi all, just installed my mperf brake kit yesterday, dealer claims to have bled it 3 times, but it's still soft and spongy.
Is this one of those things that get better with time? Cause I don't like having to drive the pedal in each time I wanna kit the brakes moderately.
I did the install myself and had the same issue I bleed it 15 times myself. I had the dealer bleed it with coding to activate the actuator and get all the air out the system. After this the brake feel how it should
If you bleed your brakes, the DME picks up that it was bled and will release a hissing noise and click a few times once you restart the car and pump the brakes a few times.

Just did them last weekend on the M performance set I've been running at lime rock for a few years and no issues or sponginess.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 09:18 AM   #157
Roasty
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

just installed a set of M-perf brakes onto my 335i.

brake system was bled twice. coding was done after installation. rotors and pads bedded.

still getting mushy brake feel and increased travel of the brake pedal as compared to stock. oh well..

questions:
a) when driving, and coming to a complete stop, i'm still able to depress the brake pedal further, in a slow, squishy manner, all the way to the floor. do you guys experience the same? or do i need to get the system re-bled again?

b) those of you who installed the m perf brake kit, did you guys put in stainless steel brake lines as well?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 12:40 PM   #158
daberlin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i EBII MPPK/BBK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roasty View Post
just installed a set of M-perf brakes onto my 335i.

brake system was bled twice. coding was done after installation. rotors and pads bedded.

still getting mushy brake feel and increased travel of the brake pedal as compared to stock. oh well..

questions:
a) when driving, and coming to a complete stop, i'm still able to depress the brake pedal further, in a slow, squishy manner, all the way to the floor. do you guys experience the same? or do i need to get the system re-bled again?

b) those of you who installed the m perf brake kit, did you guys put in stainless steel brake lines as well?

Sorry to hear of your troubles! Very frustrating I'm sure.

To your questions,

a) Absolutely not right. The pedal should react with just a slight touch, and progressively bites as you press down. Even with M Performance pads, it should not possible to compress to the floor. If you can, 100% there is air in the line. As a side note, I DID have significant pedal travel for the first five days I drove the car. I re-bled the following weekend and it took care of any pedal travel. Felt exactly like old M Sport Brakes.

b) I did install stainless steel brake lines - mostly for looks, longevity, and the occasional track day. I would suspect that in everyday street use for such a newer car, the SS lines wouldn't be suspect in your issue - however I would check to see if they are leaking - which is not that uncommon if they aren't installed properly.
1986 BMW 325e
1971 VW Super Beetle
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 07:58 PM   #159
Roasty
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daberlin View Post
Sorry to hear of your troubles! Very frustrating I'm sure.

To your questions,

a) Absolutely not right. The pedal should react with just a slight touch, and progressively bites as you press down. Even with M Performance pads, it should not possible to compress to the floor. If you can, 100% there is air in the line. As a side note, I DID have significant pedal travel for the first five days I drove the car. I re-bled the following weekend and it took care of any pedal travel. Felt exactly like old M Sport Brakes.

b) I did install stainless steel brake lines - mostly for looks, longevity, and the occasional track day. I would suspect that in everyday street use for such a newer car, the SS lines wouldn't be suspect in your issue - however I would check to see if they are leaking - which is not that uncommon if they aren't installed properly.
Thank you for chiming in!

Will be headed back to the workshop tomorrow night to attempt a re-bleed.

As for the SS brake lines, i didn't get any installed yet. What lines are you running? Goodridge? I had them on my previous e46 and evo X and they worked fine. will probably get a set of these for my F30 as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 09:37 PM   #160
daberlin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you for chiming in!

Will be headed back to the workshop tomorrow night to attempt a re-bleed.

As for the SS brake lines, i didn't get any installed yet. What lines are you running? Goodridge? I had them on my previous e46 and evo X and they worked fine. will probably get a set of these for my F30 as well.
Bavarian Auto sells 'em for a nice price. I'd go out tomorrow (today) and get some at a local shop before you get the lines bled. You'll need to rebleed after you swap to SS lines, so might as well combine tasks.
1986 BMW 325e
1971 VW Super Beetle
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 09:58 AM   #161
Roasty
Rep

just to update...

went back to the workshop. re-bled the system and they found an air bubble.

installed stainless steel brake hoses and re-bled again.

brakes feel great now, similar to the stock brake feel. the brake modulation feels perfect. no more mushy/squishy feeling when depressing the brake pedal.

braking/stopping power definitely feels better than stock.

my recommendations:
- change up to the m-perf bbk if you want to keep the OEM look. the front rotors fill up my 19" wheels nicely. the rears still seem a little small-ish.
- make sure you get the brake system bleeding done right
- code it (although i've read, and my mech says the same, that the coding part is supposedly only necessary when DSC kicks in)
- i'd say ss brake hoses are a +/- i know there is some debate as to whether they are that much better over the stock hoses but i did them anyway as i figured, why not.
- enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 03:58 PM   #162
daberlin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
just to update...

went back to the workshop. re-bled the system and they found an air bubble.

installed stainless steel brake hoses and re-bled again.

brakes feel great now, similar to the stock brake feel. the brake modulation feels perfect. no more mushy/squishy feeling when depressing the brake pedal.

braking/stopping power definitely feels better than stock.

my recommendations:
- change up to the m-perf bbk if you want to keep the OEM look. the front rotors fill up my 19" wheels nicely. the rears still seem a little small-ish.
- make sure you get the brake system bleeding done right
- code it (although i've read, and my mech says the same, that the coding part is supposedly only necessary when DSC kicks in)
- i'd say ss brake hoses are a +/- i know there is some debate as to whether they are that much better over the stock hoses but i did them anyway as i figured, why not.
- enjoy!
Your experience matches mine, so nice job. I've used both pressure (motive) and air compressor (mityvac) bleeders on many cars over the years, including the current F30 and 997.2, and never had an issue with air in the lines - as long as they were used properly (learning curve on the mityvac was longer than motive).
1986 BMW 325e
1971 VW Super Beetle
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 10:24 AM   #163
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 2017 m550i

Installed - Yellow Brakes / Silver body

Appreciate 1
Dawko189.00
      05-04-2016, 01:56 PM   #164
berk
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason
Attachment 689448One of the more exciting items from the full BMW M Performance Parts catalog for the F30 3 series are the M Performance Brakes. These are Brembo 4-piston aluminum fixed calipers on the front axle and 2-piston aluminum fixed calipers on the rear axle. They come in red, yellow, or orange and feature the M logo on the calipers.

The internally-vented lightweight sports rotors measure 370 x 30 mm (diameter x thickness) on the front axle and 345 x 24 mm on the rear axle. Unlike the M Sport brake discs, the M Performance brake discs are cross drilled for better grip and grooved to reduce water film build up. The BMW M Performance sports brake system is only approved in combination with at least 18" aluminum wheels and unfortunately do not fit the E9X generation cars (including M3).

The M Performance BBK just became available to the North American market and F30POST member nexusonemeover and Turner Motorsports have fitted a pair on their 328i and 335i, respectively. Here are some photos of the rotors and calipers, installed and uninstalled. Initial impressions are good - providing both aesthetic improvements and some performance gains. They chose the yellow versions.

The BMW M Performance Brakes for the F30 retail at $2,300, but we've already seen them being sold for sub-$2000.

Looks great. Congratz! Im curious about if mperformance brake kit increase the offset due to aluminum head. It looks like little thicker then stock. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 02:30 PM   #165
lunchbox
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i X drive

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 335  [0.00]
2013 335xi  [0.00]
How or where do you guys go to Code your breaks. Are there non BMW shops that can do it or could I buy a tool for it?

I want the break kit as its dirt cheap right now but, not looking to spending $1000 plus to get them installed at the BMW dealer.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 03:15 AM   #166
Presario
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2016 435 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchbox View Post
How or where do you guys go to Code your breaks. Are there non BMW shops that can do it or could I buy a tool for it?

I want the break kit as its dirt cheap right now but, not looking to spending $1000 plus to get them installed at the BMW dealer.
You don't have to get them installed at the dealer. Any tuner shop that specializes in BMW can most likely code it for you. I had a local BMW forum member code my brakes for me.
      09-02-2016, 11:36 AM   #167
msdtra
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 2016

Garage List
2016 M2  [0.00]
Hi just wondering if the M Performance rotors rust up like stock rotors?

I don't see that these come with any type of coating or painted ?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 01:56 PM   #168
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 2017 m550i

Not noticeable for me after 5 months, the hat might have a little but nothing out of the ordinary, and the disks are perfectly clean
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 04:40 PM   #169
msdtra
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 M2  [0.00]
Yea I am wondering before install at dealers if possible to just paint that portion so doesn't show any rust. Since new kit better to do it before they get installed on car.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 10:16 PM   #170
msdtra
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 M2  [0.00]
What was total install time ? I figures 5+ Hours and I am going take it to Non dealer for install as price is way lower.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 11:04 PM   #171
bateau
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdtra
What was total install time ? I figures 5+ Hours and I am going take it to Non dealer for install as price is way lower.
I've been quoted 7hrs by one dealer, 5 hrs by another. Independent shops quoted it between 5-8 hrs depending on whether rear hubs need to be taken apart for dust shield install.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 12:54 AM   #172
msdtra
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 M2  [0.00]
Thanks I got similar types of quotes and sticking with BMW Service Center and Not dealer as price is much better and reliable place that I have dealt with before.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 06:41 PM   #173
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdtra View Post

Hat is aluminum. Friction surface will rust if driven hard and there is water anywhere near. If sitting for a while or after a wash, they will rust.
They come clean as soon as your drive it.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 08:13 AM   #174
Gio72
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdtra View Post

Mine are full of rust inside the little holes in the surface of the rotors, after only two (hard) track-sessions... It's impossible to remove them
I've just replaced pads (after a wrong experiment with Pagid Yellow RSL1) with M Performance Pads and I noticed that they changed product number at the beginning of 2016: have anybody experinced these new pads?
      09-22-2016, 08:51 AM   #175
jtskariah
Bud Light General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 CS Limerock Grey

Hey guys,

I originally purchased the M performance brake kit for my 328i but now have a 335i. I was told by the service adviser that the only thing I need to switch out is the rear rotors to a bigger size. Is that all I need to switch? I was reading somewhere that I may need to change the dust shield as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 09:03 AM   #176
Blacktan
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW f32 428i mpack

Only rear rotors needs change.
Dust shield must be compatible but even if not you can easily modify them.
Nothing to much worry about.
Appreciate 0