XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-04-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
GoHawks63
Rep
Drives: X5

Potentiall X5 Owner - Looking for advice

Hi all,

My wife and I are evaluating replacements for her 2004 Toyota Landcruiser that has served us faithfully for the 8 years we've owned her. She is still running strong with 159K miles on the odometer, but we are just itching to get something newer.

A new Landcruiser is a bit out of our price range and also a bit too big for our needs. Our oldest has his own car and drives himself most of the time to his sporting events (high school hockey) and our youngest will be driving in a little over a year.

My wife thought she wanted an ML, but after driving one she wasn't wowed by it. There was nothing really wrong, she just didn't feel anything towards it.

We saw a 2011 X5 over the weekend in a Land Rover dealer lot (they were closed) that she REALLY liked (colors and features), and the nearby BMW dealership has a few to consider as well, but we've narrowed it down to these two.

2011 X5 3.0 (Land Rover Dealership) Asking $46,500
36,000 miles
Premium Package
Technology Package
Cold weather package
Convenience Package
Premium Stereo
Clean Carfax - One owner
Because it's at a Land Rover dealership it is not certified but the dealer said they can add a warranty (assuming at a cost to me)

2009 X5 4.8 (BMW Dealership) Asking $45,500
40,000 miles
Premium Package
Cold Weather Package
Rear Climate Package
Technology Package
Active Steering
Upgraded Seats
Active Steering
Certified (Clean Carfax and one owner, 100K mile warranty)

We haven't really negotiated either the price of the car or the trade yet. Would be interested in getting all of your thoughts on which way you would go.

Also would be interested in anything to look out for. Issues, concerns, experiences.....

I'm not new to forums as I've owned several Acuras, the Toyota and now have a new Cadillac CTS Coupe and I'm active on all the forums so I understand that by asking these questions (around issues and experiences) the feedback might bot be completely objective, but that's OK.

Thank you in advance
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
Vastyle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18' F80 Grigio Telesto 3 pedal

CHeck ebay as well! Lots of good deals on X5's! Consider a 3.5Diesel as well. Also let me know what they offer you trade for the landcruiser. I may be interested!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 03:36 PM   #3
x6er
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x6 35i black on black

You need to know what are the features that you want in the truck. I owned, and still owning a number of BMWs, so I an give you my personal likes and dislikes.
- I like the 3.5i engine (6 cylinder Turbo charged) better than the 5.0i (8 cylinder turbo chatged). I don't know much about the 4.8 engine except that it is a V8 and is not Turbo charged.
- I prefer no active steering, but it is easier on the arms at low speeds and for maneuvering a parking spot.
- If possible, get comfort seats...big difference.
- if you want the technology package; i.e navigation, get a 2010 or newer truck, before 2010 the system was really bad.
- if you can get adaptive drive, do it...its makes the ride a bit softer.
- if there is a choice between a 6 speed transmission and an 8 speed one, go for the 8 speed, better fuel consumption and peppier.
- definetely the premium package...
- a cold weather package
- definetely a rear camera
- a spare tire...these cars come with run flat tires, you will need a spare if you decide to go non-run flats or for non-run flat winter tires. (trucks with third row seat can not be fit with a spare tire.
- no third row seat...useless.

It is worth the few extra bucks to buyt from a BMW dealer; you will need the warranty if something breaks and trust me, something will break!

if you can get all or most of this list, then you got a nicely equipped truck. most buyers load these cars up, so be patient and I am sure you will get one with all that you want in it. Oh and also, the new shape will be out in few months, so if you can wait until its out, the old shape will drop further in price and you will get even a better deal.

Best of luck, let us know how you do.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 04:45 AM   #4
schaeffs
Private First Class
Rep

It always makes me smile when people diss the third row seat option on the X5 - for me with three kids and usually a couple of friends in tow it's priceless - couldn't have the car without it. I thank BMW every day that I can get to drive such a great car and not a people carrier!

I suspect the X5 demographic is one more with kids than without - especially those on a tight budget looking to buy second hand (kids are expensive!) so it definitely won't hurt come resale time as well...
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 07:45 AM   #5
TahoeM3
Major
Rep
Drives: F-type R, GTR, X5 50i

By the way, there is no 2011 3.0i. With the facelift in 2011, BMW switched to the 35i and 50i. If it's a 3.0i, it's a 2010 or earlier, and if it's a 2011, then it is a 35i.

The 4.8i is great, by the way. I had one for the years and really liked it. The 35i is almost as quick and has the 8-speed transmission which gives better gas mileage. The 3.0i is definitely the slowest of the bunch.
Gone but not forgotten: '12 X5M, '07 AM SuperVantage, '05 Boxster S, '01 BMW M3,...
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #6
jspdr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Test drive both and go from there. I went through the same process 8 months ago and ended up purchased 4.8i with every options available, because i loved the adaptive drive, and active steering. Make sure if it comes with cpo, or extended maintenance warranty. I had the extended one, covers almost everything, except audio. I was told it is different between the two.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 09:24 AM   #7
Ben_XI
Rep
Drives: 2011 x50i

Personally, I opt for the latest model over the options I want. It's nice to have all the options you want/need, but I'll compromise a bit on the options to get a late-model with low miles, more factory warranty, and latest technology.

But, you have to test drive them first. Play with all the options/features and see what you really have to have.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #8
GoHawks63
Rep

Thanks for the feedback everyone. We pulled the trigger tonight on a 2011 X5 3.5 Sport Active with the following...

31k miles certified (to June 2015/100k miles)

Alpine White/Oyster

Convenience
Technology
Cold weather package
Premium sound
Spare tire
Tires are brand new

We paid $45K out the door. They gave us $12K on the Land Cruiser which I felt was pretty fair. That's pretty much what KBB was calling for.

We agreed on price just as they were closing so couldn't finalize financing, although they qualified me for BMW financing. I also didn't bring the Land cruiser title with me, so we'll be picking it up tomorrow.

Aside from the wheels can anyone explain the difference between a Sport Active model and the Premium model?

Last edited by GoHawks63; 09-08-2012 at 04:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 11:01 PM   #9
335i_4D
Now in the dark side !
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 911S 997.2 Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHawks63 View Post
31k miles certified (to June 2013/100k miles)
Shouldn't a certified extend to 6 years ?
So if registered in June 2010, extended to June 2015...
2010 X5 35d Black fully loaded (Sold)
2007 335i sedan Antracite (Sold and missed !)
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 04:19 AM   #10
GoHawks63
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by '10-X5-35d View Post
Shouldn't a certified extend to 6 years ?
So if registered in June 2010, extended to June 2015...
Oops It is up to 2015. I mistyped.
Appreciate 0