XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
d_v_o_1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15

How to change Xenon bulb?

Hey guys
I posed this question in the X6 forum, but I know it's less eyes then here. Since they share the same platform I was hoping someone here can point me in the direction of a DIY for a D1S headlight bulb swap. Any help appreciated, thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
d_v_o_1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Anyone have anything on this??
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 11:16 PM   #3
U235
23 BMW X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Polestar Engineered
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Pole*

How ironic, I searched tirelessly for this yesterday, and I couldn't find it either.

So I did what any other idiot would do and attempted to do it myself with no input. I found out how simple it was (although I've done this on a few other cars before, although never a D1S). It took me about 5 minutes per side.

The only difficulty is you can't see anything, so everything is by feel. Despite having no vision, I found the X5 to have more working room for my hands than previous cars I've done this one. I'll try to explain the process and feelings below:

1. Remove the protective piece over the headlight (there's a top press down clip then it literally falls out with little effort).

2. You will feel a big block which is the back of the light. If you look at the replacement, you'll see this same block. With your hand, feel over the block and you'll feel two pieces of metal that are small in diameter (imagine a paperclip flattened out). These run vertically over the block. Follow one of the metal pieces down towards the bottom of the block and you'll notice it's in a spring held clip. I believe you pinch it slightly inwards and it'll release the clip. Do the same for the other.

Here is a picture of the clip mechanism from a Mercedes which I found online (disregard the B, I found this pic online for example only):

On the BMW, the clip part is on the bottom but just squeeze the ends and it'll pop off. Just to repeat, this picture is upside down compared to how it is installed in the E70 X5. The area circled as A is the ends you'll need to gently squeeze to release them from their holders.

3. Once the retention clip is released from both sides, the whole light will pull out easily. Then you can just pull the connector cable right off. There is no retention or clip to keep the connector connected, so just grab it and pull with a little force and it'll pull off. There isn't much cable slack, so if you can fit a second hand down there, it goes a long way (although I did do it with one hand using fingers on one of might lights).

4. I wore rubber gloves as to not touch the glass (getting skin oil on bulb glass can make the oil cook and break the light). Replace the old light with new light by reconnecting the connector, I took note to try and hook the light the same orientation as the old one came out as it seemed there were only 3 active pins. (Connect the connector before inserting the light back in)

5. I gently guided the light back in the hole. I had to use my finger to find the hole and then slide the light in. I would only do this with gloves on to not touch the glass with your finger oil (never touch the light bulb's glass).

6. Once in, I reattached the retention clips one by one. Just pull them over and there will be spring tension which will fit into a clip. You'll recognize this by feel since you already removed it.

7. Replace the plastic cover. I found this to be a bit awkward, but eventually it fit in. The bottom of the plastic piece has two hooks which go in, then the top part clips in, but it felt a bit awkward, but ultimately it just popped in.

8. Test lights and drive off.

Cheers!

Last edited by U235; 09-09-2012 at 11:25 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2012, 06:23 AM   #4
scheps
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TTMK2

wow, i dont need to do this but geez you did all this without vision? all by feel?

kudos !
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 07:47 AM   #5
U235
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheps View Post
wow, i dont need to do this but geez you did all this without vision? all by feel?

kudos !
Yeah, it's easier than it sounds. Having changed other Xenons before with some visibility, I can actually say the X5 is easier. For example, my wife's old 2006 Prius with HIDs was a nightmare. While I could see from the top position, there was just hardly any room for hands. The X5 has a lot of space to get hands in there. I wish the connector cable was a bit longer as that'd make connecting the new bulb slightly easier, the actual clip mechanism is quite straight forward (even blind).

Good luck should you try!

Last edited by U235; 09-10-2012 at 07:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 09:11 AM   #6
d_v_o_1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

That's a great write up, thank you!! I think I am ready to try it here, but one more question.....bi-xenon or regular xenon and why? Looking for the 6000k look to match the Lux V3's, but thinking I don't want to lose the high beam. Thanks again and should be stickied, as this info can't be found anywhere. "take it to the dealer" or "pull off the bumper" was all I could find. Great job
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 09:24 AM   #7
U235
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_v_o_1 View Post
That's a great write up, thank you!! I think I am ready to try it here, but one more question.....bi-xenon or regular xenon and why? Looking for the 6000k look to match the Lux V3's, but thinking I don't want to lose the high beam. Thanks again and should be stickied, as this info can't be found anywhere. "take it to the dealer" or "pull off the bumper" was all I could find. Great job
dvo,
I also did my install along side the LUX H3. I purchased Phillips 6000K Flashwhite D1S HID bulbs. I emailed LUX and they told me the H3 is designed to look good with the OEM 4200K (I think) bulbs.

I had already made the order by time they emailed me back, and I do admit the 6000k might be too blue for the white LUX H3s, but I only looked at it for a few seconds in my garage after install. They're always bluer at first, so I need to spend some more time looking at it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is the D1S in E70 X5 is bi-xenon, the same bulb does low and high-beam. I didn't test high-beam yet so I can't say for sure, but it was my assumption.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 09:37 AM   #8
U235
Rep

FYI:
This is what I bought:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140735781840...84.m1497.l2649

I'm traveling, and I can't see anything specific about supporting low and high beam, but I guess I'll have to test that.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 08:54 PM   #9
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by U235 View Post
FYI:
This is what I bought:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140735781840...84.m1497.l2649

I'm traveling, and I can't see anything specific about supporting low and high beam, but I guess I'll have to test that.
Thank you for the details around the bulb swap, very useful! Unfortunately those are not genuine bulbs though! real ultinons are more like $200 per bulb!

Genuine phillips 6000k Ultinons, there is a group buy on E90post:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741822
Appreciate 0