XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-21-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
DR1er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 640i GC

Garage List
E70 now or F15 next year?

Hi all, anybody still ordering E70s or waiting for the F15? I want to order a new X5 and I have a lot of doubts and I would hate to regret if the next model is a much better vehicle.

Does anybody know if BMW will have any good deals in the near future to try to boost sales for the remaining months of the X5?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
BMW-GT
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 5.0i

Always worried about getting a first year major update of a BMW. They usually iron things out well by the 3rd or 4th year. How about buying a used 2011 or 2012 model and waiting a few years for the F15?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
SkipSauls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 35d

Garage List
Here is what I expect:
  • The F15 will be as good as or better than the E70 in every way. It will be roomier, lighter, more efficient, have better technology, and so on. BMW sells a large number of X5s, and it's likely to be a huge cash cow for them due to being built in the USA. They're not going to do anything to harm the sales.
  • The first year F15 will have a few issues to work through, and there will be the usual ranting on this and other BMW boards about it. All of the issues will be addressed by BMW, unless they have an N54-like debacle, which is unlikely. If you're okay with a new car possibly having a few issues that require visits to the dealer then it is sure to be worth waiting for.
  • The E70 is a great vehicle, and IMHO is the best all-around vehicle in the current BMW lineup. I've had mine for two year now, except for just having replaced the tires with "only" 21K miles on them, my complaints are mostly nitpicks. I've driven and/or ridden in other SUVs and cars in the same $45k to $65k price range, and so far none have made me regret my purchase, or otherwise wish I was driving something else.
  • If you bought an E70 now and planned to keep it for four years, you'd be close to the LCI for the F15. By the time the LCI comes around, BMW has usually worked out any kinks and you'll get a few new goodies plus some styling tweaks to go along.

I waited for the E70 LCI because I wanted the updated iDrive, etc., although it was a letdown that BMW didn't put the LED halos on the 2011's. In a couple of years I may replace it with a F15, figuring that by then the first year issues will have been resolved. The only thing that would prevent me from getting the F15 is if BMW screws up and doesn't offer a diesel.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
DR1er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-GT View Post
Always worried about getting a first year major update of a BMW. They usually iron things out well by the 3rd or 4th year. How about buying a used 2011 or 2012 model and waiting a few years for the F15?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipSauls View Post
Here is what I expect:
  • The F15 will be as good as or better than the E70 in every way. It will be roomier, lighter, more efficient, have better technology, and so on. BMW sells a large number of X5s, and it's likely to be a huge cash cow for them due to being built in the USA. They're not going to do anything to harm the sales.
  • The first year F15 will have a few issues to work through, and there will be the usual ranting on this and other BMW boards about it. All of the issues will be addressed by BMW, unless they have an N54-like debacle, which is unlikely. If you're okay with a new car possibly having a few issues that require visits to the dealer then it is sure to be worth waiting for.
  • The E70 is a great vehicle, and IMHO is the best all-around vehicle in the current BMW lineup. I've had mine for two year now, except for just having replaced the tires with "only" 21K miles on them, my complaints are mostly nitpicks. I've driven and/or ridden in other SUVs and cars in the same $45k to $65k price range, and so far none have made me regret my purchase, or otherwise wish I was driving something else.
  • If you bought an E70 now and planned to keep it for four years, you'd be close to the LCI for the F15. By the time the LCI comes around, BMW has usually worked out any kinks and you'll get a few new goodies plus some styling tweaks to go along.

I waited for the E70 LCI because I wanted the updated iDrive, etc., although it was a letdown that BMW didn't put the LED halos on the 2011's. In a couple of years I may replace it with a F15, figuring that by then the first year issues will have been resolved. The only thing that would prevent me from getting the F15 is if BMW screws up and doesn't offer a diesel.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm thinking on a lease, then I guess I have to go for a new one.

I agree that in order to avoid the new model's issues is better to wait, but I have always been an early adopter, which can be good sometimes but also bad.

As impatient as I am, I think I will probably take a lease on a X5D 2013 and get the F15 on it's second year or if possible wait for the LCI.

I even thought briefly on checking the new ML350 and drive it for 2 years and then come back to the X5, but I love BMW and the way these cars drive + BMW is far ahead in many aspects. e.g. new technology, which is definitely what makes me buy or not a car.

I laugh when I see other brands very actively advertising stuff in their new models that BMW has been using for several years!

Being close to the year end, I would like to take advantage of any good deal BMW has to offer... I know the Diesel Eco-credit is still available; that's already something!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 11:45 AM   #5
ndabunka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d Sport Black/Black

I bought mine due to Eco and the other financial credits having a October 31st "deadline". Granted, there are always changes and I do expect there to be some new promotions (& discounts) put out by BMW for Nov/Dec but the uncertainty of what those will be or what may be available was motivation enough for me to pick my E70 up this past weekend.

The newer 40d or 50d engines would be interesting (to me) but they won't likely be available until June or July (at the earliest) from what I have heard on here and other boards. At this point, you can pretty much pick and choose what you want & even have a specific build done for you IF you are willing to wait until November to have one built.

Last edited by ndabunka; 10-22-2012 at 12:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 11:58 AM   #6
SkipSauls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 35d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
Guys - What is LCI an acronym for?
Life Cycle Impulse - It's BMW-speak for the mid-life update to a model, which is typically in the 3 to 3.5 year range. BMW will update the styling a bit, mostly the front and rear bumpers, lights, etc., change the styling options, shuffle the packages around, update the technology bits, introduce new engines and transmissions, and so on. The average non-BMW enthusiast will not be able to tell the difference unless you point it out, but LCI can be a big deal among the BMW faithful.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #7
DR1er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I bought mine due to Eco and the other financial credits having a October 31st "deadline". Granted, there are always changes and I do expect there to be some new promotions (& discounts) put out by BMW for Nov/Dec but the uncertainty of what those will be or what may be available was motivation enough for me to pick my E70 up this past weekend.

The newer 40d or 50d engines would be interesting (to me) but they won't likely be available until June or July (at the earliest) from what I have heard on here and other boards. At this point, you can pretty much pick and choose what you want & even have a specific build done for you IF you are willing to wait until November to have one built.
Agree. I haven't heard of 40d and 50d E70s coming to US before the F15 is released..?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 03:27 PM   #8
az34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 z4sdrive35i 2008 x5 3.0i

if you are not in a hurry wait for the F15, the E70 have reach the end of the road.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #9
StayRight
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 11 x5d

Quote:
Here is what I expect:

I couldn't have said this ^ better myself. I have a 2011 x5d and literally feel the same exact way.

LCI x5d
Motec powered Seadoo s3
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 05:34 AM   #10
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY2022 X5 M-Sport 45e White

Garage List
I have been an early adopter of the X5 E70, had the first in very early 2007, was not a good X5 compare the current M50d I have now.

I also have had a 2008, but say that my M-Sport late 2010 model was probably the turning point for the X5 becoming a nice vehicle. My current M50d is unbelievable and that's now 5 years into this model life cycle.

I will wait until the new X5 is at least 12-18 month into its production, it will take that long to iron out the bugs, because there was quite a few in the 2007 model when it came out.

There was some 900 changes to the LCI X5 released last year, so I will not be jumping straight in, I will wait?

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 09:00 AM   #11
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by watrob View Post
There was some 900 changes to the LCI X5 released last year, so I will not be jumping straight in, I will wait?
900 changes on the 2012 model? Wow. Other than the engine, iDrive, and LED halos, what else changed from 2011? Any other changes for 2013, other than the optional all LED headlights and face lift?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #12
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

Quote:
Life Cycle Impulse - It's BMW-speak for the mid-life update to a model, which is typically in the 3 to 3.5 year range. BMW will update the styling a bit, mostly the front and rear bumpers, lights, etc., change the styling options, shuffle the packages around, update the technology bits, introduce new engines and transmissions, and so on. The average non-BMW enthusiast will not be able to tell the difference unless you point it out, but LCI can be a big deal among the BMW faithful.
When I picked up my X5 from the service department last week, I blew my service advisor's mind because I used the term "LCI" when talking about my previous car, a pre-LCI E90. He was like, "I've never heard a customer use, or even know that term before! You certainly know your stuff." Pretty funny...
2013 Ducati Multistrada Touring S, Red
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 01:18 PM   #13
DR1er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post
When I picked up my X5 from the service department last week, I blew my service advisor's mind because I used the term "LCI" when talking about my previous car, a pre-LCI E90. He was like, "I've never heard a customer use, or even know that term before! You certainly know your stuff." Pretty funny...
I think in general guys who hang around in the forums know more or at least are more informed about their cars than the SAs ...if they would just listen when you bring in the car for service life would be much easier
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 01:20 PM   #14
DR1er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I have been an early adopter of the X5 E70, had the first in very early 2007, was not a good X5 compare the current M50d I have now.

I also have had a 2008, but say that my M-Sport late 2010 model was probably the turning point for the X5 becoming a nice vehicle. My current M50d is unbelievable and that's now 5 years into this model life cycle.

I will wait until the new X5 is at least 12-18 month into its production, it will take that long to iron out the bugs, because there was quite a few in the 2007 model when it came out.

Thanks, I think we all agree it will be something like that with the F15! let's hope not for those going for the first deliveries.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 01:25 PM   #15
DR1er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I just came back from test driving a Cayenne Diesel!

I think I might me shifting towards the "dark side"... pricing is very similar to the X5d so this is a tough one!

Acceleration in the Cayenne is just INSANE for a diesel

of course there are many things to consider...BMW has more tech and gadgets, which I love, but I am so tempted for the Porsche now!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 05:06 PM   #16
ndabunka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d Sport Black/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR1er View Post
I just came back from test driving a Cayenne Diesel!

I think I might me shifting towards the "dark side"... pricing is very similar to the X5d so this is a tough one!

Acceleration in the Cayenne is just INSANE for a diesel

of course there are many things to consider...BMW has more tech and gadgets, which I love, but I am so tempted for the Porsche now!
Wait until you configure a BMW-equivalent. It will be from $5K to $15K more for the same options on the Cayenne. I LOVED the Cayenne Diesel and would have bought it IF I could have gotten a good deal on one. As it was, the v6 gasoline version similarly equipped ended up being $5K more than the Diesel X5 I bought and that was WITH a significant discount on the Porsche. The Diesel was a MINIMUM of $8K more. Configured the way I would REALLY want the Cayenne Diesel, it would have been $14,407 more expensive even with a 6% discount on the Porsche. It IS nice but you DO have to "pay to play". Maybe in my "next" life..LOL

Last edited by ndabunka; 10-25-2012 at 08:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 06:29 PM   #17
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Wait until you configure a BMW-equivalent. It will be from $5K to $15K more for the same options on the Cayenne. I LOVED the Cayenne Diesel and would have bought it IF I could have gotten a good deal on one. As it was, the v6 gasoline version similarly equipped ended up being $5K more than the Diesel X5 I bought and that was WITH a significant discount on the Porsche. The Diesel was a MINIMUM of $8K more. Configured the way I would REALLY want the Cayenne Diesel, it would have been $15K more expensive with a 6% discount on the Porsche. It IS nice but you DO have to "pay to play".
I have looked at the Cayenne Diesel also, but you cannot get the same options as in the X5, also there resale value here is poor. I know you don't get the M50d in the US, but to choose between a Cayenne Diesel fully optioned and a X5M 50d optioned up, its hard to go passed the X5.

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 06:01 AM   #18
BSM328xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E70 & 2013 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
900 changes on the 2012 model? Wow. Other than the engine, iDrive, and LED halos, what else changed from 2011? Any other changes for 2013, other than the optional all LED headlights and face lift?
2013 does not have the face lift or LED headlights. If you are referring to the F15, that is likely going to be released in 2013, as a 2014 model year vehicle.

Sold: 2011 328xi; 2013 X3 35i; 2013 X5 50i
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 06:09 AM   #19
Frank_NJ
///M Specialist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, E52 Z8, G83 M4Cx

The E70 will be produced up to July 2013 then after that August production will starts with the F15. So anyone who wants a E70 needs to lock up a production slot for either June or July of 2013.

G83 M4CV, F80 M3 CS, E30 M3, Z8, other various BMW's
Ferrari F8
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 08:17 AM   #20
DR1er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Wait until you configure a BMW-equivalent. It will be from $5K to $15K more for the same options on the Cayenne. I LOVED the Cayenne Diesel and would have bought it IF I could have gotten a good deal on one. As it was, the v6 gasoline version similarly equipped ended up being $5K more than the Diesel X5 I bought and that was WITH a significant discount on the Porsche. The Diesel was a MINIMUM of $8K more. Configured the way I would REALLY want the Cayenne Diesel, it would have been $15K more expensive with a 6% discount on the Porsche. It IS nice but you DO have to "pay to play".
Quote:
I have looked at the Cayenne Diesel also, but you cannot get the same options as in the X5, also there resale value here is poor. I know you don't get the M50d in the US, but to choose between a Cayenne Diesel fully optioned and a X5M 50d optioned up, its hard to go passed the X5.
True! but the Cayenne feels somehow better to drive. According to the specs in each manufacturer's own website, the X5d is supposed to reach 60mph faster than the Cayenne diesel. I tested both and the Cayenne feels much faster... I guess is an illusion because of it being lighter...? did you guys have the same impression?

of course I'm not a racing driver and if I was most certainly I wouldn't choose an SUV for racing, but can't deny that it feels right when you step on in and it MOVES!

Definitely the X5 can be optioned a lot more with the same amount of money and there are many things not available in the Cayenne... maybe I should take a night shift job and buy both (just kidding in case somebody takes it literally)
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 08:19 AM   #21
DR1er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSM328xi View Post
2013 does not have the face lift or LED headlights. If you are referring to the F15, that is likely going to be released in 2013, as a 2014 model year vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_NJ View Post
The E70 will be produced up to July 2013 then after that August production will starts with the F15. So anyone who wants a E70 needs to lock up a production slot for either June or July of 2013.
Do you guys know about any changes at all in the 2013 X5d? I read somewhere something about an 8 spd tranny or are those just rummors?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 06:06 PM   #22
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR1er View Post
Do you guys know about any changes at all in the 2013 X5d? I read somewhere something about an 8 spd tranny or are those just rummors?
I hope you guys get the 8 speed, it completely transforms the X5 E70?

Appreciate 0