XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-05-2012, 09:13 AM   #1
X548i20"
Rep
Drives: 2009 X5 48i

Conti DWS or Toyo St2

I'm getting ready for winter and am looking into getting a set of non-RFT tires for the 19" 212 rims I recently picked up.
Would love some info on which non-RFT would be best for northeast winter driving - Conti DWS or Toyo St2, or any other suggestions.

I've heard the DWS can have vibration issues? I have a 2 yr. old, so I won't be doing any aggressive driving and would like a long lasting tire. Assuming anything will last longer and be more comfortable than the 20" Dueler RFT's I am riding on now.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 01:30 PM   #2
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by X548i20" View Post
I'm getting ready for winter and am looking into getting a set of non-RFT tires for the 19" 212 rims I recently picked up.
Would love some info on which non-RFT would be best for northeast winter driving - Conti DWS or Toyo St2, or any other suggestions.

I've heard the DWS can have vibration issues? I have a 2 yr. old, so I won't be doing any aggressive driving and would like a long lasting tire. Assuming anything will last longer and be more comfortable than the 20" Dueler RFT's I am riding on now.

Thanks.
Go Contis. See my recent tire review post.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #3
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
conti dws
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #4
Mitch P.
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '17x5M

I've mentioned this in another thread but I went to the Conti DWS's on my last 4.8is and noticed no difference in tire wear. This is compared to Michelin Latitude's, Diamari's, etc. Regardless of what the treadwear indicates, they will wear out just as quickly in my experience.

The best thing to do is to get re-alignment and set the toe to as close as 0 in order to prolong tire wear. Watch out for excessive camber as well. Good luck!
Mitchell Phillipi, CCA#189329
'01540ias, '17x5M
past:'96Dinan3, '11M3 ZCP, '11X5d, '15X5 5.0, '07AMdB9
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 01:56 AM   #5
balasa0731
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 640GT

Did anyone look into getting the new Nitto Motivo (staggered set-up)?,they seem like a sweet deal.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #6
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch P. View Post
I've mentioned this in another thread but I went to the Conti DWS's on my last 4.8is and noticed no difference in tire wear. This is compared to Michelin Latitude's, Diamari's, etc. Regardless of what the treadwear indicates, they will wear out just as quickly in my experience.

The best thing to do is to get re-alignment and set the toe to as close as 0 in order to prolong tire wear. Watch out for excessive camber as well. Good luck!
Always get an alignment with a new set of shoes, especially pre-mature tire wear was detected. If you have a bad alignment, the most long lasting tires will not last. If everything is constant, the tires with higher tread life should outlast the tires with lower tread rating, so the DWS should outlast the Duns (confirmed by other X5 owners).

All alignment settings must be to factory spec for best factory handling, setting them to 0 will screw up all the testings BMW has done. After all, you didn't buy a BMW for its tire wear reputation, you bought one for the way it drives. With the toe setting being close to 0, it will become less responsive. Some reported the X5 pulling left/right after setting toe/camber to near 0.

I got my DWS with an alignment by BMW to spec, it drives much straighter than before. Nearly no noise coming from the tires, compared to the Dunlop RFTs. I'm very sure it will outlast the 15k miles Duns.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 10:56 AM   #7
ndabunka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d Sport Black/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by X548i20" View Post
...Conti DWS or Toyo St2...I've heard the DWS can have vibration issues?
What'chu talk'N 'bout Willis?
I've read a LOT of reviews on here, bimmerfest, tire rack, etc and none of those have indicated any vibration from DWS tires. In fact, nearly 100% of DWS owners report that not only is there no vibration but there is also a lot LESS noise than other competitors so like others have stated, just look at any of the multiple DWS reviews on these sites for a clear picture.

Now, having said that I am going to encourage you to buy the Toyo ST2s because (1) I have not heard of anyone else considering putting those on and (2) They look like a good option IF your not going to be doing a lot of driving in the snow (They have a low rating for snow but an exceptional rating for dry). Also, those of us with the DWSs will be providing reports of our experiences throughout our ownership but there isn't anybody (yet) to provide details of their experiences with the Toyo's so "go for it" and let us know how it goes...

Someone else on here reported that they get the same mileage regards of the tire ratings but that can ONLY be as a result of their driving habits (consistent hard acceleration burning out rears or constant hard cornering resulting in wearing out the fronts) so that post has to be discounted. DWSs are a 540 treadwear rating whereas the Toyo's are 420 so (in theory) the DWSs should last a bit longer than the Toyo's but the ST2s also have 10% more tread depth (11cm instead of 10cm) so that may make up the difference and result in equivalent durability so your review will help those of us once our current set wears out.
Appreciate 0