XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-06-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
JJunkins
M3GAHTZ
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 S4

X5d head gasket?

Last weekend I started my grille replacement therapy which can be found here and while raised I noticed some soot on the underside of the hood just behind the left kidney. I popped off the engine cover and found more soot under the cover and around a pipe that I can't identify. Nothing alarming, just more curious than anything. I take it to my dealer and he I go to the technician who says a little soot is normal but finds a drip of some sort. So today I dropped it off and just received a call that my head gasket needs to be replaced. To get to it, they'll need to drop the motor. Ruh roh! That doesn't sound good but sould be a simple repair.

Has anyone else experienced any soot under their hood? What about this head gasket issue; anything to the liking?

Note that I absolutely love my X5d!! I've never had a single issue with it.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #2
BLK_08E90
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E70 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJunkins View Post
Last weekend I started my grille replacement therapy which can be found here and while raised I noticed some soot on the underside of the hood just behind the left kidney. I popped off the engine cover and found more soot under the cover and around a pipe that I can't identify. Nothing alarming, just more curious than anything. I take it to my dealer and he I go to the technician who says a little soot is normal but finds a drip of some sort. So today I dropped it off and just received a call that my head gasket needs to be replaced. To get to it, they'll need to drop the motor. Ruh roh! That doesn't sound good but sould be a simple repair.

Has anyone else experienced any soot under their hood? What about this head gasket issue; anything to the liking?

Note that I absolutely love my X5d!! I've never had a single issue with it.
I have the same on my 2011 X5D, actually going to the dealership today for regular service due and was going to mention it to my SA. Did you have any error or limp mode events before this? Thanks for sharing by the way
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
JJunkins
M3GAHTZ
United_States
Rep

I had no codes or errors or limps in the past so I wasn't too concerned. They're doing an early service and the alternator bolt recall while it's there. Looking at your garage, looks similar to mine.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
JJunkins
M3GAHTZ
United_States
Rep

Got my X back today after a week in the shop. They had to drop the transmission and engine out of the vehicle to make the repair. While they were working on the head gasket, they noticed the exhaust cooler was also leaking. That puppy was replaced too. Glad I have that warranty.

As for how it drives after it was put back together, so far so good.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
Xtram
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 2007 3.0si

Quote:
Got my X back today after a week in the shop. They had to drop the transmission and engine out of the vehicle to make the repair. While they were working on the head gasket, they noticed the exhaust cooler was also leaking. That puppy was replaced too. Glad I have that warranty.

As for how it drives after it was put back together, so far so good.
I've also noticed a large amount of oil and soot under the engine cover. Is this a common issue as I have 50K miles on my 2007 3.0is and the CPO warranty is running out soon? Thinking if I should bring it to dealer but not sure if they will reject due to how much soot or lack of dirt under the cover, since it sounded like it was their discretion.

Last edited by Xtram; 02-18-2013 at 03:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #6
och
Banned
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
2012 X5 xDrive50i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2017 X6M  [0.00]
2013 Suzuki Bouleva ...  [0.00]
Holy crap, headgaskets going already on diesels?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 07:38 AM   #7
JJunkins
M3GAHTZ
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvtram View Post
I've also noticed a large amount of oil and soot under the engine cover. Is this a common issue as I have 50K miles on my 2007 3.0is and the CPO warranty is running out soon? Thinking if I should bring it to dealer but not sure if they will reject due to how much soot or lack of dirt under the cover, since it sounded like it was their discretion.
I took it in for precaution but I was also getting a smell of something in the cabin ventilation. It couldn't hurt for you to have them look at it.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #8
markE90
Major
Philippines
Rep
Drives: AW X5 35d

I am really interested on getting an X5d but with what I am reading, it makes me think twice!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #9
serge1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Garage List
2011 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
I took it in for precaution but I was also getting a smell of something in the cabin ventilation. It couldn't hurt for you to have them look at it.
The soot (and cabin smell) is EGR from leaky EGR cooler. I had mine replaced a month ago. Smell is gone.
Get the EGR cooler replaced.
I wouldn't be surprised if they at first incorrectly blamed head gasket, then found EGR cooler as the issue. Never heard of head gasket problems on BMW diesels.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #10
JJunkins
M3GAHTZ
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by markE90 View Post
I am really interested on getting an X5d but with what I am reading, it makes me think twice!
Don't let it deter you. It's an awesome vehicle. I had the sport pack with the Y spoke wheels from the V8 sport-option. I ended up trading it for an M3 that begged me for a couple of months to buy it. I honestly was sad to see my X5 go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge1 View Post
The soot (and cabin smell) is EGR from leaky EGR cooler. I had mine replaced a month ago. Smell is gone.
Get the EGR cooler replaced.
I wouldn't be surprised if they at first incorrectly blamed head gasket, then found EGR cooler as the issue. Never heard of head gasket problems on BMW diesels.
I thought the exact same thing but they really did find a leak and replaced the gasket. Also you're right, they looked for the leak then replaced the EGR cooler as well. It's all pretty clear in the service report.
Appreciate 0