XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

04-11-2010, 04:04 PM   #1
UAxDEATH(NYC)
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X6M 2016

Strange rattle noise

I`m the new owner of 2010 bmw x6 5.0i, so far i got only 700miles on it. In the morning when i go to my car, and i start it, i can hear a little rattle noise coming from my dashboard, than i switching to Drive and on low rpm i can hear it, problem is - its not a constant noise. Anybody experienced same problem ?

Idea of brining the car to dealer is good idea, but unfortunately by the time i`ll gets there engine will be worm, and no noise.

Any advices?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 03:22 PM   #2
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

leave it with dealer overnight so they can start it cold.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 03:30 PM   #3
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAxDEATH(NYC) View Post
I`m the new owner of 2010 bmw x6 5.0i, so far i got only 700miles on it. In the morning when i go to my car, and i start it, i can hear a little rattle noise coming from my dashboard, than i switching to Drive and on low rpm i can hear it, problem is - its not a constant noise. Anybody experienced same problem ?

Idea of brining the car to dealer is good idea, but unfortunately by the time i`ll gets there engine will be worm, and no noise.

Any advices?

Does it occur with the HVAC fan running? try turning off all climate control.
      04-14-2010, 11:30 AM   #4
UAxDEATH(NYC)
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X6M 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
Does it occur with the HVAC fan running? try turning off all climate control.
its off
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 09:02 PM   #5
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAxDEATH(NYC) View Post

Any advices?
Interesting.

Don't take this the wrong way - just want to understand your problem. At first it sounds as you're saying the rattle is inside the car, but then you say it goes away when the engine warm up - that could be outside the cab in the engine bay.

You say the AC is off (I assume that means heat as well), even though it looks like Brooklyn morning temps are in the high 30's to mid-40's this time of year. That's still pretty cold in my book. Plastic parts shrink up and tend to rattle when it's cold.

If it's in your cabin within the dash, the only thing that reacts that way would be connected with your temperature control system and/or duct work within the dash, i.e., heater makes interior of dash get warm as you drive, or, the pipes and hoses get warm along with the engine.

It makes a difference.
  1. If it goes away while you run the heater just about anything inside your dash could be making the rattle because as your dash interior heats up, the parts fit together tighter and wallah - no rattle .
  2. If, the rattle goes away even if you don't run the heater then it's likely something to do with the heat/air conditioning system because those parts get warm as the engine gets warm. That could be duct work (likely) or a loose heater core, or a hose, or etc., etc., etc.
Even if you could figure out what the problem, I don't think you want to tackle fixing it yourself. It's brand new and on warranty. As dmlgc said, leave it with the dealer overnight and let them figure it out. They have some listening devices they can use to probe around and get up in there better than you can. More than likely, you're not the first person to experience this same problem and they'll know what to look for. Go on youtube and you'll see that BMW does extensive cold weather testing.

Good luck

Last edited by teagueAMX; 04-14-2010 at 09:08 PM..
Appreciate 0