XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-07-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
KingCobra
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i Sport

Make Ambient Lighting Brighter

Anyone know if there is a way/mod to do this?

I have a 2012 X5, gauges set as bright as they go, and even in a pitch dark garage I an only see the ambient lighting in the doors if I put my hand right under the strips. Otherwise, only a tiny glimmer of the LED in the front of the door pocket is noticeable, and you really have to look for it. I've seen pictures here of other BMWs where the ambient lighting illuminates the whole door. That would be pretty cool..

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #2
serge1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Garage List
2011 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
The problem is the leather(ette?) on the doors is black color - light doesn't bounce off it.
When I have napkins and other stuff in the door storage compartment, they illuminate pretty well. So, the fix is to paint them white, lol.
I don't think increasing light will do much help for doors, since they are dark and light just gets absorbed.
The ambient light is perfectly fine for the center console and elbow rest (mine is oyster). Looks soft and inviting.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 04:34 PM   #3
KingCobra
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge1 View Post
The problem is the leather(ette?) on the doors is black color - light doesn't bounce off it.
When I have napkins and other stuff in the door storage compartment, they illuminate pretty well. So, the fix is to paint them white, lol.
I don't think increasing light will do much help for doors, since they are dark and light just gets absorbed.
The ambient light is perfectly fine for the center console and elbow rest (mine is oyster). Looks soft and inviting.
Good point, that makes sense. I agree it does actually work well on the center console.

It would be awesome to cast more of that BMW orange around the car, in the footwells for example, but I don't to wire anything into my new ride. Not like it doesn't have enough toys to play with!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
serge1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Garage List
2011 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCobra View Post
Good point, that makes sense. I agree it does actually work well on the center console.

It would be awesome to cast more of that BMW orange around the car, in the footwells for example, but I don't to wire anything into my new ride. Not like it doesn't have enough toys to play with!
I am thinking if the carpet in my x5 was beige or other lighter color, the doors' ambient light might even drop on it and light things up a bit. Can anyone with beige weight in on this?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 12:07 PM   #5
RussellInman
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 X5 4.8i

I have beige and mine is dim as well. In fact my door bins on the drivers side dont turn on at all. Only the passenger side seem to work and i cant figure out why??
Appreciate 0