XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-23-2014, 09:14 AM   #1
toicy4ya
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330XI

X5 E70 Rear Wiper Will Not Stop Even With The Car Off?

Sup Guys,

My wife ran into a weird problem on my 2010 X5 (E70) last night. She turned the rear wiper on yesterday as it was raining. However, when she got home, shut off the car and pulled the key out of the ignition the rear wiper stayed on. When she mentioned it to me, i thought it would shut off after a few minutes so i didnt think much of it. This morning I noticed the rear wiper was still going. I turn the car on and and pull the wiper lever towards me and nothing happens. I tried pushing, pulling the lever. Each time i feel the detent but the rear wiper doesnt shut off.*

After i exhausted all measures with the lever and fearing my battery would drain, i decide to pull the negative cable from the battery thinking perhaps this would maybe reset the wiper. I wait a minute, when i reconnect the negative cable the rear wiper goes back on.*

I used the rear wiper several times but never encountered this problem. Anyone know what it might be?*

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 12:30 PM   #2
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

No clue mate, but definitely not normal. Take it in to the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 12:52 PM   #3
joe_planet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

Sounds like you have a short in the wiring
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 05:09 PM   #4
toicy4ya
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330XI

Guys,

I noticed when re-attaching the negative battery cable the rear wiper would go on and i hear a high pitch whine coming from the front passenger fuse panel. i accessed the front fuse panel and realized the rear wiper relay was making the sound. As soon as i removed it the whine stopped and so did the rear wiper. Upon further inspection of the relay and slot where the relay ksnaps in i noticed some sought of a green build up (see snapshot below). I got a replacement relay from pep boys and popped it in but unfortunately got the same result, the rear wiper went on (with the car being off) and the high pitch whine started up again. I am not certain whats causing this or how to fix it. If you guys can offer some help i would greatly appreciate it.

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 04:19 PM   #5
joe_planet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

There's some sort of corrosion on the fuse box contacts. Try to clean it off and see if that helps.
Appreciate 0