XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-21-2014, 12:11 PM   #1
ninja_zx11
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5 diesel 2009

Vibration on X5 35D 2009.

Hello friends, Just found this excellent forum to discuss X5's.I just purchased used 2009 X5 35D with 75K kilometers.It has 2 years extended warranty from BMW.I am feeling vibrations on steering wheel and on floor while idling and while driving at around 1500RPMs.I searched about this problem and found that it could be engine mount vacuum issue.Are these mounts monitored by the computer?If there is vacuum leak,will it be diagnosed by ECM?I also felt that my brake pedal is always hard in the mornings and it takes little force to activate the starting.The second problem is that i smell diesel smoke while starting in the mornings when its cold.i am not getting any check engine sign either.
Any suggestions please.Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 10:23 PM   #2
Sylvan Lake V35
Vanilla Gorrilla
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M & X5 35d

The diesel smell is the EGR under the hood there is a recall on it if I remember correctly. I have no insite on the rest though.
      01-23-2014, 11:19 PM   #3
adriang
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X2

I've smelled the combusted diesel on both x5d and 335d during cold start even after the egr recall. This usually happens when I back my car in the garage and turn it on and not drive out right away.

About the vibrations, are they very obvious vibrations? Maybe it's because you're not used to hearing a diesel engine and maybe that's what you think is vibrating? I may be wrong about this since it's hard to diagnose a feeling such as a vibration through internet. Unless its a very obvious vibration I would think its normal. but if you're unsure what's normal on your car the best would be to get a second opinion. Mechanics can hook it up to a computer to see if anything is registered as going wrong. It might just be a very small issue like tire pressure although you said the vibrations happen while idling too.

About your brake pedal I experience the same thing too in the cold, but after a few presses the brakes work just as they should. I read this maybe it may be the same for you http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589119

Fact is, diesels don't like cold too much, do the vibrations eventually disappear once the engine is a bit warmer?
Appreciate 0