XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-16-2014, 10:48 AM   #1
X5M Badass
Private
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Hello bimmers. Last month I made an accident, the damage was on the front right side of the car, the damage was not too bad but I had to take the car to the dealer by towing it because the right half of the bumper is leaning to the ground, so before I put the car on the recovery vehicle, the car would normally start but it would idle in low rmps and accelerating on the gas pedal would work for like 10-15 seconds and then it just stops and I have to re-start the car again to actually move it for a few seconds then it would stop accelerating and it would repeat the process.

so the car finally got to the dealer and got everything replaced, bumper/fenders/right headlights and etc. so I get a call today saying that my car is ready but theres an issue, they tried to take the car for a test drive and it would do the same thing, start normal - you can rev the car for like 5-10 seconds then the gas pedal would stop working, they told me they would see whats wrong with it tomorrow and try to fix it.

all im worrying about right now is that my downpipes would be the cause of all of this, I've been told it could be the throttle or fuel pumps, but I'm not sure as my car started to behave like this only after the accident.

tl;dr: car starts but after another 10-15 seconds it loses acceleration and wont move.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 11:52 AM   #2
serge1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Garage List
2011 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Does the engine shut off as well after 10 seconds?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 12:47 PM   #3
X5M Badass
Private
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge1 View Post
Does the engine shut off as well after 10 seconds?
Yes
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 05:59 PM   #4
serge1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Could it be something messed up with DSC (traction control, stability, etc). The system could be stalling the engine. Under normal circumstances, engine would stall if you try to dig out of deep sand.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 07:58 AM   #5
X5M Badass
Private
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Could it be something messed up with DSC (traction control, stability, etc). The system could be stalling the engine. Under normal circumstances, engine would stall if you try to dig out of deep sand.
its showing a low fuel pressure fault so it shouldn't be dsc

200 views and only 1 guy to help me figure out whats the problem!

come on someone get on here give me some advice on this
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 11:04 AM   #6
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Sorry, man. Just because I drive one doesn't mean I know what's wrong with yours.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 11:44 AM   #7
Spaceballs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Grey X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5M Badass View Post
its showing a low fuel pressure fault so it shouldn't be dsc

200 views and only 1 guy to help me figure out whats the problem!

come on someone get on here give me some advice on this
If its showing a low fuel pressure fault, shouldn't that be the first place they look? I'm no genius....but BMW has had many issues with the high pressure fuel pumps. I haven't had this issue...yet, so I am limited in my knowledge of this issue.
      01-17-2014, 04:31 PM   #8
X5M Badass
Private
United Arab Emirates
Rep

it seems to be a fuel pump or the mass air sensor thing...not sure they will tell me whats wrong with the car tomorrow..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 07:29 AM   #9
Spaceballs
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
it seems to be a fuel pump or the mass air sensor thing...not sure they will tell me whats wrong with the car tomorrow..
Any update?
      01-21-2014, 05:00 PM   #10
X5M Badass
Private
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceballs View Post
Any update?
they worked on it 2 days ago saying that they replaced the battery, changed the spark plugs, checked the fuel pump and some other stuff that may cause the problem and it appears that none of them are causing anything.

so I got a call today with the guy telling my all that above plus he said that they got a mechanic to work on the car and check inside the engine today.

I should get a call from them in 12 hours hopefully its not something too serious.

Ill keep you guys updated for sure, since this is type of problem is pretty a rare one in a bmw.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 12:28 PM   #11
X5M Badass
Private
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Ok just got my car today, problem was the fuel pump relay, it was not working.

But the surprising thing is that I took my car to the dealer with my CEL on from my downpipes, I had no choice, and now it's gone - it will not pop up even after 6 hours of driving.

I don't know what they did. But I realized that I can hear a pulley sound too, also my car started jumping and downshifting even when I'm not accelerating, Triggered transmission fault from that, this happened just like an hour after I pulley noise started. so now that's another problem, I don't know if the mechanic over there touched the inside of the engine and didn't properly fix the pulley. I'm not sure what to do now.. mixed feelings.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 12:49 PM   #12
serge1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
What mixed feelings? The car is still broken
Take it back!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 12:59 PM   #13
X5M Badass
Private
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
What mixed feelings? The car is still broken
Take it back!
Forgot to say that I had a stage one tune for about 31k miles before I get my hands on the downpipes. They told me that they reflashed the ecu so it needs a tune. The pulley problem can be fixed I had it before so its not something new.

Ill get it tuned next week and i'll see if the transmission fault flashes back on, then ill get it back to the dealer >.<
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 07:53 AM   #14
X5M Badass
Private
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Transmission is broken, they don't know what caused it.

it is going to get replaced under warranty and that will take another 10-12 days..jesus
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 12:42 PM   #15
theonesupreme
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5M Badass
Transmission is broken, they don't know what caused it.

it is going to get replaced under warranty and that will take another 10-12 days..jesus
Which tune did you used on your car?
      01-26-2014, 01:27 PM   #16
nabizzy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonesupreme View Post
Which tune did you used on your car?
Must be Dinan if they are replacing under warranty I assume lol
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 05:37 PM   #17
X5M Badass
Private
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabizzy View Post
Must be Dinan if they are replacing under warranty I assume lol

They don't know that my car is tuned AND they don't know what caused the transmission to fail, so automatically to them that's just another failed transmission. Also my car has a downpipe.

So if they wanted to make me pay for the replacement, they will need to prove that my tune/downpipes broke the transmission
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 09:28 AM   #18
Spaceballs
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
They don't know that my car is tuned AND they don't know what caused the transmission to fail, so automatically to them that's just another failed transmission. Also my car has a downpipe.

So if they wanted to make me pay for the replacement, they will need to prove that my tune/downpipes broke the transmission
That would be pretty easy for them to do. Lets see, downpipes...what are they for-to produce more power, same as a tune. All they need to do is say the transmission has been developed to handle a certain amount of power, and your modifications exceed that threshold.
      01-28-2014, 11:17 AM   #19
X5M Badass
Private
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
That would be pretty easy for them to do. Lets see, downpipes...what are they for-to produce more power, same as a tune. All they need to do is say the transmission has been developed to handle a certain amount of power, and your modifications exceed that threshold.
Correct, but that's not the case in my situation. They have diagnosed the car and probably did see the downpipes, regardless, what ever they say now won't change the fact that the tranny replacement is still under warranty as the they already ordered the piece 2 days ago.

When I made the accident it was on the front right side of the car, where the oil cooler is sitting. I am thinking that my radiator had a water leak and it mixed with my transmission fluid. I was getting an engine over heat warning right after I have crashed onto the other car.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 11:44 AM   #20
Spaceballs
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Correct, but that's not the case in my situation. They have diagnosed the car and probably did see the downpipes, regardless, what ever they say now won't change the fact that the tranny replacement is still under warranty as the they already ordered the piece 2 days ago.

When I made the accident it was on the front right side of the car, where the oil cooler is sitting. I am thinking that my radiator had a water leak and it mixed with my transmission fluid. I was getting an engine over heat warning right after I have crashed onto the other car.
I didn't say they should deny the warranty claim. I'm just saying if they were looking to find a way to blame you, they probably could have. Some technicians do not know the difference between stock downpipes and some of the aftermarket ones. Glad it was covered for you, I can't imagine what the cost of a new transmission would be!
      01-28-2014, 12:13 PM   #21
X5M Badass
Private
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
I didn't say they should deny the warranty claim. I'm just saying if they were looking to find a way to blame you, they probably could have. Some technicians do not know the difference between stock downpipes and some of the aftermarket ones. Glad it was covered for you, I can't imagine what the cost of a new transmission would be!
it's pretty expensive...$7000-$8000
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 03:39 PM   #22
Spaceballs
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
it's pretty expensive...$7000-$8000
Thats more than the extended warranty!